PDA

View Full Version : Wheelie Help

mattg324
08-12-2007, 07:07 PM
ok ok i jsut am starting to wheelie. i can do it from 1rst gear from a take off but i dont know how to do it from differenr gears, is there a trick to it? please help

tanner 222
08-12-2007, 07:17 PM
just rev er up and dump the clutch i guess thats all there is to it. the higher gear you go the more you have to rev er up. that help any?

gcart2
08-12-2007, 07:18 PM
just get a lot of seat tiem. get used to riding. its all in the angle your bike is and the rpms are at. i like to start in first and move all teh way to 3rd or 4th. however when i shift i take the fourwheeler to a little under 90 degrees up and make sure the rpms are high enough to keep you going threw the next gear and i personnaly use the cluth when i shift. its a real fast action. pull in the cluth shift ups and hit the gas while realeasing the clutch. but its differrernt for every1.

allstock
08-12-2007, 07:38 PM
when i had my 400 i normally just went into a turn in 2nd and just cracked the throttle out and it would just stand right up

08-12-2007, 07:51 PM
2nd gear is the best gear to do wheelies with because you can go pretty slow or ride fast yet still stand it right up pretty quick. Where I live its mostly sugar sand and I can get it right up with the stock tires. Get a rolling start, stand up, pull in the clutch rev it and when you let it go slam down on the seat and it will fly right up. I can do them standing up at times. How fast you come into it has a lot to do with how it goes up. Faster obviously means the wheelie will slowly come up and slower means it will pop right up. Experiment with it and the best way to learn is to have someone on the quad driving and you on the back. I learned that way. Also you have to realize that going on the back bar and falling off isnt scary at all. All the times I fell off or went on the back bar I laughed so hard and had a blast running after my quad haha. It just takes technique

blasterandy
08-12-2007, 08:04 PM
get going in second a rolling start kinda blip the throttle and get the motor runnin. Then give it hell. Once your back just hold on and wen you feel like you can let off the thottle your at your ballance point... keep in mind that the slower your going the farther back your ballance point is... Ill pull up 3 gear wheelies usually i am going about 1/6th throttle yank wot and i can usually hold it at about 5/6th and keep her going level. Smaller tires really help... i run 18in and i can keep her goin forever. If you do fall off don't give up. Anyone thats done any sort of pavement stunting has fallen off doing a wheelie or hit the grab bar... whats really fun is getting peice of titanium welded to the bar and when it hits the asphault it throws up a bunch of sparks... I learned to wheelie by trail and error... lots of error, but i like to keep my legs on the pegs i am not one to do a partial grab bar stand however this is easier... i just never liked doing it that way... I would also invest in a s/o pipe if you don't already have one they help tremendously in the bottom end and getting the tires up there... also the jetting has alot to do with how the 4 wheeler runs make sure shes tuned right. They're are ways to shift in a wheelie. First, get her going start in first and shift to second by going a little past your ballance point personally i don't use the clutch alot cause i always seem to drop it. I'l slip the clutch shift up and then keep going thus you can always keep power to the ground.

And also:

Wear a helmet

08-12-2007, 08:07 PM
1 more note to my reply DO NOT SHIFT USING THE CLUTCH IN A WHEELIE! My brother did this and it flipped him right back.

mattg324
08-12-2007, 08:14 PM
hahahha ok guys tahnks for all the help. u made me laugh foxrider. i gotta try this out tommrrow, i gotta remember not shift with clutch and jsut to find my balance point, do it in 2nd gear. my friend can do wheelies on my quad liek nothing in 3rd gear so i jsut waned to figure out how to do this stuff, thanks alot everyone, if u ahve anything else you wanna say/add jsut put it here.

08-12-2007, 08:44 PM
haha glad I could help

allstock
08-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
1 more note to my reply DO NOT SHIFT USING THE CLUTCH IN A WHEELIE! My brother did this and it flipped him right back.

i can shift just fine in a wheelie with the clutch on my 400 and 450, you just have to be in the balancing point

trx400EXtreme
08-12-2007, 08:52 PM
IMO it was alot easier for me to find the balance point in first gear....but thats me.

allstock
08-12-2007, 09:04 PM
its easier to find the balancing point in 1st but the gear is too short

miller821
08-12-2007, 11:48 PM

Theirs nothing wrong with using the clutch in a wheelie. Whenever I remember too, I do... Your brother probably pulled in the clutch, while revving the engine up high (from not taking his hand off the gas when he clutched.) Then when he let out the clutch it flipped him back because his rpm's were way up their.

Also one foot on the grab bar was the easiest way for me to learn. Also makes it easier just to step off the back if you hit the grab bar.

gcart2
08-13-2007, 04:39 AM
then your bro cannot shift. personnally i dont like going threw clutches 1 time a month so i use it.

stepping on the grab bar is a easy way to learn but does not look as cool as sitting on the seat.

wis400x
08-13-2007, 11:12 AM
There is no need to use the clutch in a wheelie! I never use it(while wheely'n)& my clutch is fine.Just get comfortable & find the balance point,let off the gas for a split second & shift. Get use to keeping your foot over the brake pedal so you can tap it if you go back to far.

08-13-2007, 12:19 PM
yeah I dont know of 1 person that uses the clutch while in a wheelie except for gcart2 or ride hard man. It doesnt hurt anything shifting without the clutch just a few times

mattg324
08-13-2007, 07:17 PM
well i was jsut wheelieing forl iek 2hours and i am getting pretty good. but ahh one problem. i had to stay in first gear the entire time pretty much because when i TRYED to shift it woudl nto budge. anyone know if i shoudl try it with letting the gas go for a sec, shift, then hit the gas? otherwise everyone is helping me so far. thanks

blasterandy
08-13-2007, 07:32 PM
slip the clutch and let off the gass a little.

mattg324
08-13-2007, 08:08 PM
ok i will try that tommrrow since its 10 here.

casey_lamm
08-13-2007, 09:12 PM
get some video of your attempts.
Originally posted by mattg324
ok i will try that tommrrow since its 10 here.

08-13-2007, 09:25 PM
i doubt he wants everyone to see him attempt wheelies, i know i wouldnt want ppl to see me when i 1st started. although he could be corrected if done something wrong i guess

yamablue419
08-16-2007, 10:20 AM
use the clutch for sure. if you dont use the clutch when you shift it ****s your motor up after awhile. that kids bro is just a dumass and popped the clutch when he was shifting. dont dump the clutch to much either or you will have to get new clutches

Kaleigh
08-16-2007, 02:03 PM
yea.. its easy to shift with the clutch and it will help you wheelie alot better cause you're depending on balance to keep you up and not power..

if you want to do wheelie's from a stand still.. instead of dumping the clutch.. just do this.. as you are revving up to 1/4 throttle.. start letting go of your clutch at the same time.. instead of popping the clutch at 1/4 throttle.. this will help smooth out the wheelie so it doesnt just pop up on you..

one more thing.. stay in the same sit position as you would normally ride in.. this will help you cover rear brake,shifter alot easier and will be easier to get to the clutch..

oh yea.. if you dont mind scratching/bending your grab bar.. you can do this.. this helped me alot about learning the rear brake.. get the quad high enough in a wheelie that it slides on the grab bar.. now let it slide for a little bit and dont slow down(about 5 feet).. now press the rear brake and hold the clutch so it doesnt stall.. this will help you learn to use your clutch and rear brake.. also this will help you learn how much power to use in your rear brake, cause to much will cause the nose to dive hard, just enough will drop the nose just a tweak to get you where you want to be.. oh yea.. this is best done in first gear.. i know alot of people dont like this method cause of the grab bar.. but if you're gonna put a new on one there then its no problem..

Kaleigh
08-16-2007, 02:05 PM
i doubt he wants everyone to see him attempt wheelies, i know i wouldnt want ppl to see me when i 1st started. although he could be corrected if done something wrong i guess

lol.. i got vids of me learning to wheelie.. its pretty pathetic.. but its nice to see the improvement on a video.. just like you said.. itwould be great for others to give you pointers on what you might or might not be doing wrong.. :macho