PDA

View Full Version : jetting with this 440 again... hmmm

Steven
10-27-2002, 10:48 AM
If you recall, I started this jetting with the dynojet 170 main jet. The bike ran well and fast but when I showed the plug to the guys at Honda, they said lean.

So naturally, I installed the dynojet 175 main and went for another ride. The bike was still mean fast. My rideing partner with the DS650 and I draged several times, discovering that the bikes accelerated at the same rate... YES!

I took the plug to dealer for another diagnosis of the 175 main jet and again they said lean. They urged me to try a 190 to find the upper limit. Thinking they were crazy, I installed a dynojet 185. The bike did not run well and was very sluggish so I knew I had reached the rich end of the jetting curve.

Well, logic dictated that the 180 would be the perfect jet so I installed it. The bike ran good. The exhaust note was a little fatter and the engine made good power. Accleration was strong but not as strong as it was with the 175.

How do I know? Feel... of course. Accleration wasn't as emidiate. More importantly, my friend with the DS650 and I draged again. He spanked me all 5 times.

So in conclusion, I have really lost power between the 175 and the 180. As a result, I put the dynojet 175 back in.

Using 100 octane race gas and the 175 main, the plug looks like this - the porclaine is white clean, the electrode and arm are a dry dark coffee brown.

Am I there with this 175? Do you think I'm in danger of cooking anything?

Help!

Steve

stupid driver
10-27-2002, 11:07 AM
im sure uve heard that some gasses have cleaners in them that stick to the plug and give it a white hint. if your motor doesnt feel too hot, isnt really hard to start, and doesnt pop on acceleration, u should be ok. maybe get some leaded gas, and check the plug again. the lead will give you a better plug reading

01_400exrider
10-27-2002, 11:34 AM
I Just installed my 440 kit, with my hotcams stage 2 cam. I have a t-4 slip on and a k&n filter. I tried 3 different jets. 162, 172, 180. 180 was way to rich, would crap out at wot. 172 would do the same, but not as bad. Put the 162 in and it screams!!! I dont know if that is to lean, the bike didnt seem to get hot at all, i think the 440 kit runs cooler in my bike :D