PDA

View Full Version : Motor mount question

250Renvy
08-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Does anybody know how evenly the motor mounts distribute the weight?

If using an 86-87 style swingarm/rear mount could you eliminate the bottom mount if using all the rest?

The 86-87 frames use all 5 mounts but the 88-89 frames only use 4.

So the general question is: Can I get rid of the bottom motor mount and still be fine or is that the one holding the most weight?

deathman53
08-12-2007, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't, I use all the mounts, front, head stay, rear bottom(atc, NOT a stock frame, custom made), rear top(88) and bottom. The more support the motor has the better.

250Renvy
08-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Deathman,

I don't know if you remember the Blue Laeger 300ex frame at HRE. It is a laeger 250R frame made for a 250x motor, I was thinking if I get Mike to add headstay mounts and I use an 87 style swingarm I will have all the mounts except the bottom and that will allow me to use both 250R and 250X motors in that frame.

But it seems to me that those bottom mounts take a lot of the load as far as the motor goes.

What do you think? who should I ask?

deathman53
08-13-2007, 08:42 PM
I don't know about using both motors, the mounting points are totally different between the 2. My opinion is use all the mounts, you are gonna use the swingarm motor mount that is used on a 85-87 250r?? I had that mount done away with in the atc, all the aftermarket frames mount the motor in the frame, not the swingarm bolt. There must be a reason why. The front and bottom mount take alot of abuse, the back is needed, but the headstay really isn't. I'm told w/o using a headstay, you feel more vibration, I use all of them anyway.