PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the brake hub?

400eXr1d3rZ
08-11-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm changing my axle right now, at 1 in the morning :blah: , and I can't figure out how to get the brake hub off!

It wiggles a tiny bit, but other than that it won't move! How do i get it off?

redzoomer
08-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Take a rubber mallot and hit the right end of the axle. The axle will slip on through the brake hub. It is just held on in the splines. It is probably full of dirt and rust. If you got some PC Blaster or WD 40 spray the splines real good. Don't beat on your axle with a regular hammer.

400eXr1d3rZ
08-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by redzoomer
Take a rubber mallot and hit the right end of the axle. The axle will slip on through the brake hub. It is just held on in the splines. It is probably full of dirt and rust. If you got some PC Blaster or WD 40 spray the splines real good. Don't beat on your axle with a regular hammer.

Could I put a pecie of wood between the axle and hammer and hit that? I don't have a rubber mallot anymore, it..uhh...died :p

Pipeless416
08-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Could I put a pecie of wood between the axle and hammer and hit that? I don't have a rubber mallot anymore, it..uhh...died :p

depends on how stuck it is. with my brothers, it was so bad that it just kept splitting the wood when i tried that. i eventually had to use a sledge on the end of the axle and now i need to grind down the smashed part and drill new holes for the cotter pin. joy.:o

400eXr1d3rZ
08-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
depends on how stuck it is. with my brothers, it was so bad that it just kept splitting the wood when i tried that. i eventually had to use a sledge on the end of the axle and now i need to grind down the smashed part and drill new holes for the cotter pin. joy.:o

Last night I flipped a hammer over so the part for taking a nail OUT of something was inbetween the brake stay and the hub, and i hit it with another hammer and it started it move out a bit, I'm going to go get a **** and just smack the crap out of it between a peice of wood.

fastyz85
08-12-2007, 12:09 PM
i know this sounds stupid but did you take off the caliper? because if you didn't it may be holding the brake hub on. If you did then just lube the heck out of it and beat on it. mine came off pretty easy when i replaced my axle.

400eXr1d3rZ
08-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Oh, damn...I forgot I'm replacing my axle with an LSR axle, I don't care if I screw up the stock one :p

I'm going to hit it with a **** a few hundred times and see what happens.