PDA

View Full Version : Coolhead w/out headstay mount?

beobe99
08-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Been checking out some cool heads on ebay and noticed the ones posted didnt have the headstay mount (i know some do come with it).. Is there a noticable difference without that mount??

Also besides the coolhead looking nice are they worth it?

Thanks

racerx573
08-11-2007, 11:46 PM
I like them because you can change your compression by swapping out domes. And they do provide higher coolant capacity.

Ones without headstays are alright to run, as long as you have your rear motor mounts. (i.e. don't run one without a headstay if you are running an '89 style swinger on an '86/'87 frame). There is a little bit more vibration, but not noticeable.

beobe99
08-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks, I figured vibration would be added from not having the headstay mounted.. I guess they didnt ad the head stay on some for a quicker change of the domes.. or it was just to exspensive for the company to ad it...

Thanks for the info

racerx573
08-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Both reasons. I learned my lesson from running one like that, I was running an '89 style swinger on an '86 frame, so I lost my rear motor mounts, so all I had was the fronts and bottom ones, and the bottom ones broke, and twisted my engine and cracked the cases.. that was years ago on one of my first R's. I have had just about every kind of failure on my R's after racing them for 7 years.. after the first 4 or so, I got it all down to a science for what works and what doesn't. As long as you have your rear bottom mounts or rear top.. or both, you'll be good on a headstay without a headstay mount, but even if you run one of those, still run the headstay bar, to help keep the frame solid.