PDA

View Full Version : Sound System.....help me

416exfreak
08-11-2007, 05:29 PM
My delima...

I have a 93 dodge pickup. Standard cab, short bed.

I have room behind the seat (8 inches or so) and room under it.

Im trying to get a good powerful sound system for my truck, that will sound good listening to hard rock and heavy metal.

I dont like rap, hip hop, r&B, country....any of that. All I listen to is hard rock and heavy metal.

Cost isnt a huge factor, because I have a year to save before i start driving....so anyone that has experience with Audio equipment....i would appeciate your input...

BTW- im not looking for this thing to be glass shattering loud...but id love for it to have some volume if i need it, and be a good clear...non crackly system.

Thanks in advance
Justin:)

flauge
08-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Two kicker comp vr 10's in a truck box would sound good, I think thats my favorite setup for a reg. cab truck. :cool:

mineralgrey01gt
08-11-2007, 06:57 PM
if you want good stuff, Alpine has an extremely clear sound but that stuff can get pricey. My audiobahn 12" sub sounds good in my car. Really clean and clear bass. Since you dont listen to anything with much thump in it (rap, hip hop, etc) just do 1 10" Alpine type S (or the Alpine type R 10" if you want some good thump) sub with an alpine amp (or any other quality name brand amp, dont buy cheap off-brand amps because they sound like crap) in a sealed truck box.

Be sure and get a good headunit and door speakers. Preferably a component system, again Alpine, or a reputable brand.

The main thing to remember is you get what you payed for.

mephyst
08-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Like others said, since you don't listen to anything with any major bass involved you don't really have the need for any major subs. I would just get like one 10" sub (high quality only)

I never go cheap on sound systems...

Get some Focal speakers, they are top notch.

I've seen a high quality 10" Digtal Designs sub blow away most 15"s out there on the market... even some pairs of 12"s.

Honestly though, without getting too much into it you could probably do fine with some nice focal speakers and a 10" like i said before backed by a decent head unit.

I do listen to rap/hip hop... I listen to everything. I am looking at a system right now for my suburban that is going to run me around 2500 and that is getting most of it at cost +10%.

Should be fun... hahaha.

mineralgrey01gt
08-12-2007, 12:53 AM
focal ftw. cant go wrong with those

MO-EX-RIDER
08-12-2007, 07:30 AM
speakers are 1 thing but the amp is where i would start....i would get a good solid 1 ohm capable amp pushing around 1000 watts for the subs and look into some low powered mids and highs so the head unit can power those if you do not want to run a 2nd amp.. in my day orion was the top stuff, but i hear memphis has some good stuff too.

7" in dash is a must too!

<DRS>GPF
08-12-2007, 07:44 AM
if you want clear music, frequency response is the key.. dont throw money away without doing just a little research.

ive seen many examples of "name buying" without actually checking to see if the speaker(s) had the most dynamic range in the "cost bracket"..

400exstud
08-12-2007, 07:46 PM
If I was in your shoes I wouldn't even get a sub. With a few 6X9s or even nothing besides the stock system you should be satisfied. Rock music is all about mid-range on up. Listen to the Eagles, they have great music for testing the accuracy of the system. I have a 12" sub (because I listen to boom-boom music every once in a while) and I can't stand to listen to it hummmmmmmmmm away with rock. It honestly kills AC/DC songs. A good set of speakers will be great for you.

IOWAracer
08-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Rockford solid rock subs and amp prolly go with 10 inch P3 in a ported box wanna find a custom builder for the box cause it needs about .9 cubic feet of air space and go witha T1000 amp best sounding system i have found so far for metal and rock can get u a good deal on brand new stuff if interested with the cutsom box let me know

Regular_Joe
08-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Rock and Metal .... first thing that comes to mind is a nice pair of 8's ... something like a JL 8w3 or something. I'd think you can get at least 4 in there. It will hit super hard and be able to keep up w/ the fast double bass drum hits. I have read reviews of the Resonant Engineering RE8's and they say they are almost as good as the JL 8w3s ... and they are about $50 a pop.

Alex68
08-13-2007, 12:18 PM
If you do get a sub be sure to turn the bass down on the head unit and turn it up on the amp, that is one of the best way to blow speakers.

416exfreak
08-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Ok dude.....why would I want to blow the speakers and everything up when i just got them?

I forgot to mention it is a full sized truck...im not dealing with the amount of room in an S10.

I noticed many of you siad to look for a "freaquency range", im guessing this is how high and low the pitch of that speaker can go?

When i start driving, im going to take the truck to an Audio shop and listen to everything they have in there, compare price for what im getting and then i guess ill make my desicion.

Something must be done in this truck....it hums so ****ing bad and nothing sounds clear....like its trapped in a box....And it has 2 slipine 6x9's behind the seat and a 6" in each door. Running through a MTX amp...not sure on which model at the moment.

416exfreak
08-13-2007, 12:28 PM
bum post...

Alex68
08-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Ok dude.....why would I want to blow the speakers and everything up when i just got them?

What I ment is that the way people with "systems" blow their speakers is that they are retarted and turn the bass up through their head unit and don't realize that your head unit is for your speakers, not the sub. The best way to get bass is through your amp. You want clearness coming through your speakers, not bass, a little bass is ok, it shoud be set on the 2nd or 3rd setting, (depends on what unit you get) then the rest is through your sub and amp. Does that make sense?

And the best for rock music that I have found is Powerbass speakers with a JL 10in sub with a Powerbass amp, with a decent head unit. That is what I have in my truck I also have 2 JL 6x9's in abox under the back seat.

It all depends how much money you want to spend. And the best piece of advice is have a professional instal it, they can gaurentee their work.

72 chevelle ss
08-13-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/

I've gotten great advice there. They know their stuff.