PDA

View Full Version : 450r with water problems

quad janern
08-11-2007, 11:47 AM
hi
now in the last days our track have had some water in it, nothing huge but a few small ponds. the usual when it has been a rainy day. and when i ride my 450r through them, the water gets in my air box snorkel/tube, then it gets down to my air filter and then last, it gets to my carb.
the water fu**s my 450r and it just boggles around :ermm: yes im riding with the lid too.

me and my dad needed to take out the carb and reassemble it. we found water in it.

what do you guys do with this ?

can i put something in my snorkel/tube to stop the water or will this harm the air going through it ?
maybe i could use the same material like an air filter and cut it to fit in the snorkel.

:confused:

REDRIDDER
08-11-2007, 05:28 PM
now I'm pulling this out my behind.. but if if were you i would buy a cheap prefilter cut it to fit your snorkel opening clamp it on with a hose clamp or better yet and better looking a zipp tie and spray a water repellent on to the prefilter to help deflect the water.This is just an idea i just thought of so try it out if you don't you wont hurt my feelings but i can picture this in my head working but what to use for a water repellent? can someone add to this?

Flyin-Low
08-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Just buy an outerwears and replace your air box with it and rejet..

More power and more protection from water!

-Martin

REDRIDDER
08-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
Just buy an outerwears and replace your air box with it and rejet..

More power and more protection from water!

-Martin the outerwear must be coated with something cause its by far water proof.He wants to keep water out not let it in easier outerwears are not very protecting from water thus the mysterious coating im trying to find to spray onto it at the end of his snorkle.

Flyin-Low
08-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
the outerwear must be coated with something cause its by far water proof.He wants to keep water out not let it in easier outerwears are not very protecting from water thus the mysterious coating im trying to find to spray onto it at the end of his snorkle.

"Outerwears Pre-filters are constructed with a woven mesh that is specially treated at the mill using a proprietary process to repel water. This hydrophobic water repellent process is not sprayed on; consequently, there is no airflow loss." (from the outerwears site)

If you've ever owned an outerwears, you would know that they are actually quite water proof..

-Martin

GIXXER1KR
08-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Outerwear actually makes 2 different ones.One is regualar and the other says water repellent.I have the Prodesign one and everytime i change my filter and wash the outerwear i let the outerwear dry and then spray a few coats of 3M water repellent.I run an open air box and have been thru it all.I recently went to Maine with all 4/4's and was passing them in the mud with no problems.As long as the water was below my box i was good.So a little water repellent spray dont hurt!!!!;)And does anyone know what Outerwear pre-filter fits the Pro Design K&N filter set up.I have been buying the pro Design 1...

REDRIDDER
08-12-2007, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Flyin-Low
[B]"Outerwears Pre-filters are constructed with a woven mesh that is specially treated at the mill using a proprietary process to repel water. This hydrophobic water repellent process is not sprayed on; consequently, there is no airflow loss." (from the outerwears site)

If you've ever owned an outerwears, you would know that they are actually quite water proof.. look in my sig dummy head and its not water pfroof by far but apparently you can buy ones that are .i didn't know that.

IMSROLL450R
08-15-2007, 09:04 AM
If you want your R to last I would just keep it out of the deep water, which is definitely not what its intended for.