PDA

View Full Version : Got a problem, don't know what it is.. Help..

flyin300
10-26-2002, 10:54 PM
when I was out riding I noticed some grinding noises coming from the area near my left foot..I first thought the clutch was going out, but when I coasted down a hill with turns in it with the key turned off the noises were still there.. they are very noticable.. and don't sound good at all.. so I quickly went home to strip down my rear end.. I took off the swingarm skid hoping it was just bent or something that way it could be easily fixed.. well, it didn't work.. went back and inspected everything.. took off my chain and front sprocket and saw nothing in the way of cuts or scratches on the cases.. but I noticed my chain guard was cut and grinded down.. I don't know how this could have happened.. My chain is tightened perfectly.. and I'm not sure what the problem is.. any info is appreciated.

Pappy
10-26-2002, 10:57 PM
where you riding in a lot of mud? maybe a rock or debris got stuck in there or something?

redrider ex
10-26-2002, 11:01 PM
some times a wore out chain makes a grinding noise.

flyin300
10-26-2002, 11:08 PM
No, it was a dry day. and as for my chain.. it is in fairly good conditioin and is lubed after every ride/wash..
I'm beginning to think that my swingarm bearings are at fault.. its all I can think of.

JabberJaw
10-26-2002, 11:14 PM
Have you checked to see if your left foot is still attached? It could have been dragging, and got completely ground off.

R-Crazy
10-27-2002, 08:18 AM
is there any chance your axle is offset a little and your chain is grinding a little?

dave

Live2Ride300
10-27-2002, 08:21 AM
Have you checked for play in the axle bearings and swingarm bearings?

ridinthedunes
10-27-2002, 02:05 PM
How bout just something caught in your brake rotor.
Have you jacked it up and spun the wheels?

300exryder
10-27-2002, 04:13 PM
im not sure if this helps, but i was hearing noises from "my left foot" . It was sort of a vibrating noise. It only happened when i compressed the rear shock and turned or landed hard. It ened up being the metal support arm for the heel guards. The metal was bent and a bolt came off -- the tire would hit this and due to the tread pattern (mudbusters) it would vibrate and catch.

jerry-89-250R
10-27-2002, 04:36 PM
i had one doing that once, turned out too be my case saver got bent a little and was rubbing the chain

flyin300
10-27-2002, 09:20 PM
well, I stripped down the rear end this afternoon to take a good look at everything.. I don't have my mud guard things so that couldn't have been it.. I took off the black chain guard thing, and looked in there.. I found that the grinding noise is my chain grinding down the case saver.. I don't know why it does this.. it will only do it when I'm riding.. it doesn't do it when I ride on pavement.. only when i'm riding in rough stuff, or making a hard left.. so I think that my swingarm bearings are out....... My axle isn't bent, and my axle bearings are in good shape, I've even got an aftermarket carrier to make sure...
so now i'll have to get swingarm bearings, probably a new case saver, and a new chain..... thanks for all the help.. I'll get back to ya.

ChadEXer
10-28-2002, 12:10 PM
Does it do it when your clutch is pulled in and your rolling??? Thats what was happening to mine, and somebody(probably didnt know what he was talking about????) said the transmission was making that noise?? After i dont the complete remodel of my quad, it doesnt do that anymore,,I dont know what it was!!!

Tom Lynn
10-28-2002, 12:15 PM
Chek the timin chain because it may of stretched

300exryder
10-30-2002, 06:12 PM
I recently put on a 14 tooth front sprocket and had to grind down the case saver (300ex) and i got soo tired of grinding it down and seeing if it would fit that i just wedged it in, put on the plastic guard and rolled teh bike back and forth. The chain would wear away the case saver to a perfect fit. After a quick 1 minute ride up the street -- i had a perfect fit with the case saver. I have a moose gold chain and if anything, the chain would rub the metal case saver away and there wouldnt be any noise.

I can wait to hear what people think about my laziness. He ruioned his chain because he didnt want to shave the case saver!! My chain is still in near perfect condition - it gets beat up by rocks worse than the case saver.