PDA

View Full Version : New quad opinions (please don't blow me off)

bkquill
08-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Not sure if this if the correct thread for this, if not I apologize. I also apologize for asking what I'm sure that has been asked a hundred times.

Hey guys (and gals), I'm a newbeeeee and not afraid to admit it. A quick little background on myself, I've been racing BMX and downhill mountain bikes (for those of you that have ever been to Windrock and seen the bicycles with 8+ inches of travel, you could have seen me) for the last 30 years (yes I'm old) and have always wanted to get into the "sport ATV's". Well I'm about to pull the trigger on one, I just don't know which one as of yet. Now I'm not entirely new to ATVing, we have a Yamaha Grizzly and J.D. Gator that we have for hunting and chores, so I'm familiar enough with them that I'm not totally new. The Grizzly nor the Gator really like to jump or slide through the trails, not from a lack of trying though (Go figure!).

As I mentioned I'm about to purchase a sport quad, I would like to do a little GNCC racing and we do have a few MX tracks in the area that I would also like to hit, not necessarily race, but who knows. We also have about 30 acres that I'm in the process of mapping out a trail to shred.

The racing questions will come later and I ask that you be patient with some of the questions that I may ask. I know how the mountain bike forums are to what veterans and experienced rider's consider stupid questions.

With my background in bicycling, and thrashing around on the Grizzly, I'm not afraid to catch some air, slide the rear end around, hit rockgardens, also I'm not naive enough to think that getting into the sport category will be similar, nor am I as young as I used to be (read as "My brass balls have tarnished a bit with age"), but I still feel that I some left.

So is "sport ATV" the correct terminology? I'll learn all this as I visit the site and get out there and mingle more.

So my basic (which probably doesn't have a basic answer), is which quad to get? Keep in mind that I'm going to be doing all sorts or riding with it, mostly ripping trails, and a I'll try some GNCC racing and would like to hit the local MX tracks some. Of course looks and reputation are also factors to keep in mind, as well as general maintenance.

Based on what I have heard or read, here is what I have narrowed down so far, but PLEASE correct me and give any pro's and con's if have any, also any suggestions to another make would also be good.

1. Raptor 700R SE- I have heard nothing but good things about this quad! Would it be okay for the occasional MX track ride?.

2. KFX450R- I read somewhere that I would need to make a few mods if I wanted to GNCC race it, and or hit the trails hard with it. (Taller tires and change the gearing to compensate the gear) Other then that, I have heard nothing negative.

3. YZF450R- Great MXer, but not so great for trails and GNCC racing, (see above^^) plus a bit top heavy?

5. Polaris- Heard more then once that it spends more time in the shop then the trails

6. Can-Am- Not enough info

Again, I apologize if these questions seem ignorant, but ya gotta remember that I'm a nuuuubeeee!! Thanks!

Cheers,
Brian

JOEX
08-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Welcome to atvriders.com and the 'sport' side of atving:D

I can't help much on your choice but if I were to purchase a new sport quad for all round riding i'd lean towards the newer Raptor. Not sure where the Raptor fits in with the racing scene though.

Good luck with your search:)

Mc. Muffin
08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Raptor 700- Great quad if you are a bigger/taller person. Great for trails, dunes and XC.

YFZ450- Voted the #1 450cc sport quad.
Great on all tracks, dunes and trails.
Some people complain about being cramp but I have no complaints with comfort. Awesome power and best handling quad IMO.

08-09-2007, 09:05 PM
450r is good all around also

MX MaNiAc 06
08-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I woudl suggest the Raptor 700r. I think it would suit u and ur needs the best.

WhiteZrider
08-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Get a Z!:p

chris46250r
08-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Yep, the Rappy 700 and some Brasso for the tarnish.

pro-rider46
08-09-2007, 09:26 PM
i have the trx 450r and i have absolutely no regrets, it doesnt have reverse but most of the other 450s dont either. with time and experience of riding them you can jsut spin them around. i have no problem with out reverse. i bought the 450r about a year ago and i like it for a great trail quad and next spring it will be a weekend racer. if you plan on hitting the track and just love power the 450s are a great choice. you should be fine with either the 700 or any of the 450s cause you are probably alot more mature then me, cause i am only 14 years old and am fine with mine.

You should take a day to travel around and test ride any ones of you intrest. some people like the way the yamahas feel some like the way the hondas feel. it is all personal reference. but you are the one buying it for YOU, so see what you like.

Oh and the honda and yamaha are both very easy to maintain. as far as i have found.

Well good luck with your purchase

08-09-2007, 09:35 PM
The YFZ is in no way topheavy. My friend that owns a LTR said stock for stock the YFZ out handles his LTR.

250Renvy
08-09-2007, 10:25 PM
If you don't want to waste a whole bunch of money trying to figure it out.

Make sure you know how to work a clutch - if you don't know how to already, find somebody that will teach you on their machine.

Then:

Look through the local papers for USED YFZ's, TRXs and RAptors and take them for test rides. I hate when people go for joyrides but it's part of selling something. When the 450R first came out I wanted to know if it was something I wanted to drop a bunch of money on so I took a few used ones for test rides - since most dealers wont let you. I didn't really like it and saved some dough.

The KFX is probably a good bet, just put skid plates on it and possibly bigger tires. The Can-am will be a safe bet.

Your size and weight will have a lot do with it. If you are under 6'2 and under 180lbs, any will be fine.

good luck

Ghost-Rider
08-09-2007, 11:01 PM
450R ? 400EX ?

CannondaleRider
08-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Mc. Muffin

YFZ450- Voted the #1 450cc sport quad.

By who?

Any and all "YFZ450 Voted Number 1" stuff I have seen has been by Yamaha financed magazines :ermm:

Mc. Muffin
08-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
By who?

Any and all "YFZ450 Voted Number 1" stuff I have seen has been by Yamaha financed magazines :ermm:

It doesn't take a published magazine to make calls on whether this quad is the best or not.
The truth is magazines writers don't know no more information than us.
When I said "The YFZ450 has being voted the #1 450cc sport quad" I was meaning best all around quad.

Before I give you proof....give me proof about this "Yamaha financed magazines."

mephyst
08-10-2007, 01:59 AM
I would get one of the 450's. They are all reliable nowadays... Find one that you feel comfortable on and you can mod any one to be just as competitive as the other. Pick your favorite color and comfort. =] I'm only 5'9 and 155lbs, but I feel somewhat cramped on a YFZ- I am used to my 450r though. I just don't like how the tank is the same height as the seat and the bars seem too low, but thats just me.

LTR's are pretty cozy, and I would definitely consider getting one as my next bike.

If you really want to have a cool quad that I'm sure will be flawless wait for the new KTM 525. That will be an all around awesome ride!!

CannondaleRider
08-10-2007, 02:00 AM
It doesn't take a published magazine to make calls on whether this quad is the best or not.
The truth is magazines writers don't know no more information than us.
When I said "The YFZ450 has being voted the #1 450cc sport quad" I was meaning best all around quad.

Before I give you proof....give me proof about this "Yamaha financed magazines."

No....it doesn't take a published magazine to make calls on the #1 quad....nor does it take joe public to make that decision....it's all personal preference...nothing more, nothing less.

As for proof that the majority of the magazines being Yamaha financed, maybe financed was a bit of strong word, but definately STRONGLY supported......you shouldn't need me to answer your question though. It's not quite as drastic these days with what I regularly see, but usually there is about a four page, very high quality, very obvious YAMAHA ad right in the middle. One or two pages per quad ad...... You can't miss it.....you think Yamaha got that spot cheap? Dirt Wheels is the magazine that appears in my mind the strongest, but it's the same situation with others.

Yamaha gives some of the magazines an assload of cash for those ads, and in return, the magazine helps them out a bit more. Never wondered why some magazines sway UNGODLY strongly toward the side of supporting Yamaha above all others, NO MATTER what the situation? He!!, some will even mention a positive point of another bike, that they thought was amazing....then in the end say "We still believe the Yamaha has this point won" Most will agree that the Yamaha can be a bit snappy for slower woods riding, where a Honda might be a little better fit.....look for that point in a shoot out in Dirt Wheels....good luck.

Don't believe some of the magazines....seriously. You have to find out for yourself. NOBODY can tell you what you need. Example, I thought the LT-R would be an absolutely amazing bike, and was seriously considering one. Granted, it is a good bike....One ride on one and the thought never crossed my mind again about getting one....I can't stand the way it feels TO ME. Again, it's all personal preference.

450rJam
08-10-2007, 04:38 AM
first off dont trust any magazines, look at the pics and read whats new, nothing more.

the raptor, 450r, or yfz450 would all make you happy
RAPTOR--is a little behind the others on mx , reliable
YFZ--- does feel a little small and the seat is like riding a brick and it dont like to putt through trails
450R---dont like to putt through trails, very reliable
KFX---too many problems comming up with the new designs
POLARIS---you already said it.........maint/down time
CAN-AM---I cant say good or bad.......

you can always mod to your liking but the first 3 I listed (in no certain order) will all fit the bill great

Ace Sixx
08-10-2007, 05:00 AM
I used to be into XC mountain biking. About nine or ten years ago. Then I got lazy. I can't believe how much things have changed in that sport. Perhaps I'll rekindle my interest in it some time. Until then, I'll remain a lazy bum.

Regarding quads, I don't think that you could go wrong with any of the 450s from Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki. The Kawasaki is relatively new so I'm not sure about availability of aftermarket "schwag" for it (though I'm sure more and more is becoming available with each passing moment), but the modification possibilities for the Honda and Yamaha are endless. Everyone and their brother make stuff for these quads. It is my understanding that this is not the case with the Raptor.

You mention racing. Most of the top-tier riders (XC1 and XC2) in the GNCC series ride Honda, followed by Yamaha. The top bike in each class currently is a Yamaha. Seven out of the top ten in each class is a Honda. Granted, these aren't showroom stock bikes by any stretch of the imagination, but if you look at some of the lower-tier classes where most of the machines are closer to what mere mortals ride, the results are similar.

The thing that the Kawasaki has going for it is it's fuel-injected, whereas the Yam and Honda are carbureted. It also has reverse.

The bottom line is that you can't really go wrong with any of these machines. Personal preference is the ticket.

250Renvy
08-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Why under 180lbs?

The YFZ450 has a weight limit of 220lbs with the Raptor limited to 240lbs.
The rest of the 450s should be close to the YFZ450s weight limit also.

Those are the weight limits but from my experience anybody overweight feels cramped on them and they don't pull very well with the extra weight so they feel underpowered.

Alex68
08-10-2007, 10:08 AM
If i was you I would wait for the new KTM to come out. Thats what I'm waiting on.

bkquill
08-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. I knew what the outcome was going to be when I posted....

Still not sure:D Leaning towards the Raptor, but isn't Yamaha going to do a new quad for 09 to replace it? Or did I read that wrong?

Well I'm off to do some more research!

Thanks again, and I look forward to hang out here.

Cheers,
Brian

pro-rider46
08-10-2007, 09:07 PM
i think yamaha is doing a new design for the banshee, but it looks like the raptor is here to stay, the yfz with an exhaust, air filter. and cdi. they run unbelievable. but i think yamaha restricts the exhaust a ton and restrict it a little more through the cdis. and the hondas are restricted in a little more areas. the stock cam is restrictive, as well as and exhaust and its airbox is pretty corked up. but if you choose a 450r you can have a dealer install a hrc kit, which is made from honda and does not void warranty. those hrc kits replace all of the restricted parts. and that will make it run like a raped ******* ape. you wont be sorry with your choice if you go with honda.

mineralgrey01gt
08-11-2007, 12:45 AM
250r :D

m.h.s.c.#527
08-11-2007, 12:57 AM
well the yfz450 is ridden by the #1 rider in the gncc just to let you know its more than capable there

CannondaleRider
08-11-2007, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by m.h.s.c.#527
well the yfz450 is ridden by the #1 rider in the gncc just to let you know its more than capable there

:ermm:

Whats your point?.......The #1 XC rider on the west coast(my good buddy Mr. Eichner) is on a Polaris Outlaw 525 and has been on a Honda for years......... The #1 Team(Including DougE) for a few years at the Pont De Voux were on a Banshee....... The current WORCS Pro Points leader is on a Honda, and will be on a Can-Am...... The #7 WORCS Pro and 4th place Open Pro Champion(My teammate Joe Rarey) rode a Sundahl at one race, a Leagers CRF at others, and a Honda at most.....he!!, he used to ride a Cannondale. The Baja 1000 has been won a few times on a DS650..... Your statement says nothing.

It's all rider dude, who rides what is no showing of what bike is better.

It's all preference, I'm telling you....you have to find out for yourself...

Caseys 300ex
08-11-2007, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by m.h.s.c.#527

I bet his only stock part is a frame but thats modified with gussets. It has nothing to do with the yfz. Its his aftermarkets and rider skill.

450rJam
08-11-2007, 07:05 AM
dont choose a atv based on someone else winning a pro race
the atv's at that level are no where near what the average rider/racer will be playing on, and the skill level at the pro level
far exceeds what 95% of us will ever develope.

DVXracer
08-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Welcome to the site, baised on what i read in your first post, for you i would deffinitly recommend the Raptor 700 or the Z400.

mod440ex
08-11-2007, 03:40 PM
i have a new kfx450r and i havent had any problems with it, if your into trail riding the reverse is really nice, and i did without it on myex, so i do know that much. they have only had probs with the fuel tank leaking, but if you buy a brand new one it ill already be fixed. it already comes with great handlebars and the revers is the easiest to use out of all quads.

krt400ex
08-11-2007, 07:01 PM
welcome to the site...

i didnt see any 400ex in there...or any 450R.

IMO, these 2 machines are great for trails and some of the easiest machines to maintain. they are super reliable and handle very well. i own a 400ex and the only i want out of it is a little more balls, but it picks up pretty quick. i can keep up with any other sport machine on the trail.

08-11-2007, 07:34 PM
I'd avoid brand new from a dealer to avoid the interest payments and also you'd have to mod it yourself for extra $,$$$

This has your name all over it imho and its ready to go :)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=311043

You can find some really nice already worked banshee's on ebay too for very nice prices. I've been looking for just the right banshee myself and ebay has alot of them. Just havent found mine yet. I want this one right here :D

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2941858#post2941858

But its not for sale :(