PDA

View Full Version : Check out the DS450X

Punk'd
08-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Just recieved this today at work, thought id share:)

Black looks awesome!

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7664/dsxez5.png

honda300EXtreme
08-09-2007, 07:08 PM
dam, that thing looks good, i like that alot better than yellow

450raider
08-09-2007, 07:19 PM
whoa:eek2:!! the 450 looks like its tired of waiting itself and ready to go i cant wait to see one at a dealer, but the renegade looks like something youll see off the next batman movie (if there is one) youll see him all zooming around gotham streets like on cradle to the grave (anyone whos a fan of quads knows exactly what im talking about :D )

madini
08-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Damn again,I thought I was going to get away from black for a change.

Punk'd
08-09-2007, 08:19 PM
No details as of right now but in the dealer letter it said something about the "x" package so im guessing its new plastics, bumper, nerfs, rims..etc...

I just want the black plastic though! I hope thats possible.

ThePhantomRider
08-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Very nice!!!:D

TPR

spanky101
08-10-2007, 05:27 PM
i definaly like the looks. I will proboly just get the regular one and grab one of those yellow grills and be happy!

CGRACING72
08-21-2007, 02:54 PM
i thought the yellow was ulgy. but the black looks sick.

xwarriorx
08-21-2007, 08:36 PM
i do think it looks sweet but that race ready 90 is prob one of the smartest moves of any company theyll sell tons those things look sweet. all the x's look bad

250Renvy
08-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Wow MSRP $8400

http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/new_vehicle_list.asp?sid=04163324X8K23K2007J11I00I 20JPMQ353R0&Manufacturer=18&Category=2&CatDesc=ATVs

Punk'd
08-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah i thought the price was a little steep myself. There really arent that many extras but it sure looks trick.. Check out the home page artical. Also I doubt the black will come out the same time as the yellow ones do. Prolly have to wait even longer to get one:rolleyes: Ill stick with yeller..

don_carallo
08-24-2007, 05:07 AM
..KYB shocks with high/low speed adjust, reinforcement ring on wheels, nerf bars, new front bumper to put number-plate, skid plate, 1" handelbar riser, quick adjust clutch cable...

it looks seeeeeet with that black colour..:devil:

Toadz400
08-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Man, I got excited all for nothing when I saw the advertisement. Why do they keep misleading us to believe it's going to be race ready?? I still haven't seen anything close to what the Cannondale/ATK is! Especially for over $8k I would want something that is 100% race ready.

250Renvy
08-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Man, I got excited all for nothing when I saw the advertisement. Why do they keep misleading us to believe it's going to be race ready?? I still haven't seen anything close to what the Cannondale/ATK is! Especially for over $8k I would want something that is 100% race ready.

How is that not race ready?

Nobody will really read this but the fact is that most riders don't really need all the stuff they put on their quads because they never fully push the quad to it's limits. Only the top pros and extreme riders really NEED more because they push them so hard.

Toadz400
08-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy

Nobody will really read this but the fact is that most riders don't really need all the stuff they put on their quads because they never fully push the quad to it's limits. Only the top pros and extreme riders really NEED more because they push them so hard.

Well, for one it's not race ready because it doesn't come with a killswitch:blah: .

I for one wouldn't mind being able to buy a quad and never have to put any money into it as far as performance/suspension upgrades/components.

I however raced my '05 YFZ stock and did just fine and I am able to push my machine to it's limits. I am not looking forward to spending a lot of money in suspension, a-arms, and axle when I am ready to push it even further.

hsr
08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy

ehhh i don't know, I don't even think that a stock honda or yamaha 450 is really that raceable in stock trim, it really is a shame...the only thing that comes race ready on them is the motor, the chassis and all of it's components don't quite cut it.

250Renvy
08-24-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm not going to start an argument about how race ready quads are, because the fact is that most of the stock parts are much heavier on most quads which makes it not so race ready.

But besides a-arms and axle, the average racer could do just fine with stock equip if they get them setup properly.

I mean how is it that when they test them, they can do anything you can do in a race situation.

But getting back to the PRICE issue. The unfortunate thing is that a Honda,yamaha, suzuki, and Kawasaki can be found on sale and at clearance prices and with rebates upto $1500 less than MSRP. CAN-AM doesn't do that and the MSRP is the price you pay anywhere. +/- $200

89'350RX
08-24-2007, 04:09 PM
looks good..... better than yellow

DS 450 EFI X-package features
Front KYB‡ HPG piggyback shocks; compression and rebound damping adjustments; high and low speed compression adjusters
Black aluminum X rims with reinforcement rings
Chassis and swing-arm aluminum skid plates
Aluminum front bumper, number plate ready
Aluminum handlebar riser block
Aluminum taper-profile handlebar with square pad
Nerf bars with netting
Quick-adjust clutch cable thumb screw
Black body with X-package graphics
Premium embroidered X-package seat cover

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/CRTracing/img46cd079d3bd71.jpg

CannondaleRider
08-24-2007, 09:22 PM
For the last time.....Can-Am claimed "Race inspired" not "Race ready"!!!

I for one, think it's pretty cool that they are offering a different package. I'm also hoping for a "closer to race ready" package though.

Toadz400
08-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
For the last time.....Can-Am claimed "Race inspired" not "Race ready"!!!

I for one, think it's pretty cool that they are offering a different package. I'm also hoping for a "closer to race ready" package though.

I'm sorry but when I see something that says it's "Race Inspired" I believe they're trying to make us believe it's race ready, especially when they say it's industry leading innovation. They've done a lot of neat things with this machine but I'd still rather pay the full price for a brand new Cannondale (with the upgrades of course) than one of these.

Dale@AGP
08-25-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm sorry but when I see something that says it's "Race Inspired" I believe they're trying to make us believe it's race ready, especially when they say it's industry leading innovation. They've done a lot of neat things with this machine but I'd still rather pay the full price for a brand new Cannondale (with the upgrades of course) than one of these.

So...if you were going to build a DS450 cross county race quad what would you add to the machine and why?

Toadz400
08-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Dale@AGP
So...if you were going to build a DS450 cross county race quad what would you add to the machine and why?

A-arms, tires, and a killswitch. You've got a point there but with Cannondale they made a machine for every category of riding/racing. DS-450 they give you an expensive platform just like all the other companies.

tldPREDATORboy
08-27-2007, 09:03 AM
there is a very strong market place out there for aftermarket parts.the factory's dont whant the quads to come race ready cause they whamt you to by there parts.allmost every comany that makes quads have a performance line (gytr,yoshimura with suzuki,pure polaris products etc.)that sell you the parts to make it race ready.so they say.the machine dont make a win.the rider does.throw tim farr or doug gust on a stock honda or yamaha or whatever and the will smoke me and you on a full race quad.if you have the skill to win.chances are you will.it just comes down to skill or how much money is in ur pocket.

don_carallo
08-28-2007, 04:52 AM
..why there are not "race ready" quads? because we don't want, simple

machines like the new DS, C'Dales, KTM..are fast enought to can race with them, but we are always looking for improve a little more, and a little more..and finally there are not one stock part on them

so..why would brands spend so much money in R&D for a race ready atv if then we will change the 70% of the stock parts?

Toadz400
08-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by don_carallo
..why there are not "race ready" quads? because we don't want, simple

machines like the new DS, C'Dales, KTM..are fast enought to can race with them, but we are always looking for improve a little more, and a little more..and finally there are not one stock part on them

so..why would brands spend so much money in R&D for a race ready atv if then we will change the 70% of the stock parts?

This is my point exactly, not all people can spend up to $9k on a quad then dump another $5k into it to replace most of the parts on it. I would love to be able to buy an ATV for a specific area of racing and not have to buy all those parts. Not everybody likes to waste all that money and not be able to retain that value when selling it.

ThePhantomRider
08-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Here's the perfect example of the "Race Ready" problem....To make a quad race ready in one person or groups eyes causes a problem with someone else with a different idea on what race ready is. You need to develop a platform (DS) by which the basics and certian amature events require minimal modification. You will need extra this and that no matter who you are.

Now look at dirtbikes....we can take out the width scenario, so no arms or swingers. Some may replace a swingarm with a longer unit to change the handling, but man, virtually nothing on a fully race prepped 2 wheeler is stock....heck some factory racers have things we could never have on our bikes...(see "Unobtanium")

So build the best base you can and make it appealing to a wide audience and the racers will use it.

TPR

motox450
08-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
Here's the perfect example of the "Race Ready" problem....To make a quad race ready in one person or groups eyes causes a problem with someone else with a different idea on what race ready is. You need to develop a platform (DS) by which the basics and certian amature events require minimal modification. You will need extra this and that no matter who you are.

Now look at dirtbikes....we can take out the width scenario, so no arms or swingers. Some may replace a swingarm with a longer unit to change the handling, but man, virtually nothing on a fully race prepped 2 wheeler is stock....heck some factory racers have things we could never have on our bikes...(see "Unobtanium")

So build the best base you can and make it appealing to a wide audience and the racers will use it.

TPR

Phantom I couldn't disagree with you more here. Most bikes now are so good out of the box you don't need to change anything. One used to have to change bars because they came with junk steel ones now they come with good renthals. The modern 4 strokes make so much power you don't have to even buy an exhaust to be competative. On my bikes I generally would change springs for my weight and thats about it. So everything is stock other than spring rates. Others may change exhaust for personal preferances and levers and such, but bikes are soo good stock now its amazing. You can buy a bike on Saturday and race it and be competative in the A classes on Sunday. In fact our local fast A guy has a stock KXF450 with just suspension revavled and generally wins the 250A, +25A, and +30A.

With quads it just isn't so. I am waiting for the new KTM MX450 quad to come out as it will be truly race ready out of the box. Buying a new $6500 stock "platform" quad and then spending another 4-5 grand to make it truly race competative for mx gets old. If Can-AM had taken a true race ready approach with three versions, stock for general riders, MX race ready, and XC race ready they would fly off the shelves. This is the approach KTM is taking and they are going to sell them as fast as they make them.

Toadz400
08-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Yes you have a good example there, but like I said Cannondale had a platform for every kind of racer. They had the right idea in making a quad for the different areas of riding/racing.

mhill157
09-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Hopefully Can-AM will have race ready DS450's like they do in sno-x. You have to prove you race to buy the race model.

trxracer#15
01-19-2008, 12:28 PM
the rep said that the ds 450 x was not any better than the ds 450

Dale@AGP
01-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by trxracer#15
the rep said that the ds 450 x was not any better than the ds 450

The X Suspension is better, but the stock DS 450 suspension is already very good.

What's nice about the X is it has everything on it right out of the box. nurf, wheels with wheel rings and good tires, Bumper and underbody armor.

All you have to add to the X to go racing is a tether kill switch, a slip on exhaust, bark busters and maybe FastWay bars.

GE4x4
01-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Yes you have a good example there, but like I said Cannondale had a platform for every kind of racer. They had the right idea in making a quad for the different areas of riding/racing.

True, but they were priced way to high. There xc was over $10000 and there MX was over $12000. And that was 5 years ago. The KTM is just as xc race worthy but over $1000 cheaper.

Toadz400
01-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
True, but they were priced way to high. There xc was over $10000 and there MX was over $12000. And that was 5 years ago. The KTM is just as xc race worthy but over $1000 cheaper.

How is that priced way too high? How much money do people put into their machines after they buy them? It ends up being well over $10k or $12k. The Cannondale's were reasonably priced for what they were. If they were still around I'm sure they'd end up being more affordable. They just made the mistake of standing by their product and went bankrupt. If they had the mindset of most companies that if you broke it you're out of luck, they'd still be in business.

I am excited for the KTM and Polaris's though. They are getting more towards what the Cannondale's were. I also wouldn't mind riding the Can-Am and seeing what it's all about.

GE4x4
01-19-2008, 08:05 PM
What I was saying is over 5 years ago C-Dale had race ready, but the over $10,000 was just to much of a sticker shock, and it still didn't have adjustable a-arms. Now over 5 years later KTM makes IMHO a better xc race ready for cheaper. So these will sell better then the C-dale.

54warrior
01-21-2008, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by GE4x4
What I was saying is over 5 years ago C-Dale had race ready, but the over $10,000 was just to much of a sticker shock, and it still didn't have adjustable a-arms. Now over 5 years later KTM makes IMHO a better xc race ready for cheaper. So these will sell better then the C-dale.

Not to mention at least some kind of name recognition in the motorsports community. People have heard of KTM, where-as most where saying " Canna-what???" And still are!!

motox450
01-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Cannondale had the right approach just at the wrong time. They went with the correct market segments, but when it came down to a 12K Cannondale that people knew little to nothing about or A 5K 400ex or LTZ400 that were known and reliable then thats what people went with. Then shortly after, all the 450's started coming and Cannondale didn't have a change. They were low on capital to start with, then had engine failures and people wanted something more reliable for their buck. KTM is well recognized for quality and reliablity, and those quads are selling like hot cakes. My local dealer can't keep them on the floor. For around 8.5K you get a race ready XC quad. No aftermarket shocks, a-arms, axle, bars, steering stem, nothing that is commonly replaced on a "stock quad". The X version of the DS does help with getting it closer to XC ready, and for XC the DS450X may be the best replacement for the KTM for the cash. Yet for those who motocross you are back to replacing everything, and as most of us know that gets real expensive in a hurry. If Can-Am had a MX ready version of the DS for around the same price as the KTM (well when the KTM has their MX version out) I would have to think long and hard as to which one to buy. But as it stands KTM is making a MX ready version and Can-Am is not. That makes my choice fairly simple.

bwamos
01-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Not to mention at least some kind of name recognition in the motorsports community. People have heard of KTM, where-as most where saying " Canna-what???" And still are!!

If you're in offroad sports of anykind and have not heard of Cannondale, then you're simply not paying attention, IMHO.

mhill157
01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
I like the idea of a race ready quad, but I don't think it would work for the masses.
Reason #1: Everybody has they favorite shock company, chassis company, etc.
#2 Sponsors, if your sponsored buy a performance shop like Baldwin for example, you might not get discounts on OEM replacement parts. And stock parts can be very expensive
#3 I have not ridden the KTM yet but I have found that even the suzuki needed upgrades to be competitive in mx, and they said it was ready for the track. Whether it is shock mods or making the frame stronger, even different stem length.

Trust me I would love to buy race ready quads like I can for snowmobiling. But have you seen the price of a race sled if you can even get one( made in very limited quanities), you are talking almost 10,000 and you still have to improve some of the chassis parts.

Toadz400
01-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by mhill157
I like the idea of a race ready quad, but I don't think it would work for the masses.
Reason #1: Everybody has they favorite shock company, chassis company, etc.
#2 Sponsors, if your sponsored buy a performance shop like Baldwin for example, you might not get discounts on OEM replacement parts. And stock parts can be very expensive
#3 I have not ridden the KTM yet but I have found that even the suzuki needed upgrades to be competitive in mx, and they said it was ready for the track. Whether it is shock mods or making the frame stronger, even different stem length.

Trust me I would love to buy race ready quads like I can for snowmobiling. But have you seen the price of a race sled if you can even get one( made in very limited quanities), you are talking almost 10,000 and you still have to improve some of the chassis parts.

I guess I'm just one of the vast minority of people that just want to finance/take out a loan for one set amount and not have to dump loads more money into the machine just to be competitive on a track or on the trails. If I want an MX machine I would love to be able to buy something and not have to do a single thing to it besides race it. It's one of the many reasons why I want to switch to dirtbikes besides the fact that they are so much cheaper. Yes, I understand that there is a lot less to a dirtbike compared to an ATV as far as parts go and suspension but they have the right idea for dirtbikes. They have recreational bikes, Enduro bikes, MX bikes, etc. The same thing Cannondale was trying to do with the ATV scene. They had a recreational quad, MX, XC, Dunes, etc. No extra parts were needed to do what you wanted to do with any of those quads.

mhill157
01-22-2008, 04:05 PM
I almost switched to bikes to save money this year but I got a deal I could not refuse from a local can am dealer if I race this year. It is still fun going to local practice tracks and chasing the dirtbikers down.

hondarider101
01-22-2008, 04:09 PM
the ds450x vesion is coming as in the pics.

Dale@AGP
01-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by hondarider101
the ds450x vesion is coming as in the pics.

The DS450X is the perfect compromise for anyone that wants to get into cross country racing without dumping a ton of money in a machine.

The value in the up graded suspension package alone... which also happens to be in same category or better as any of the performance aftermarket stuff out there is huge... and then when you take in the cost savings of all the other stuff and it all adds up to a really great package for the racer.

On a DS motocross package... Can-Am has always kept their cards close to vest and a MX version is quite possible... considering they have Natalie on the payroll.

Toadz400
01-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by mhill157
I almost switched to bikes to save money this year but I got a deal I could not refuse from a local can am dealer if I race this year. It is still fun going to local practice tracks and chasing the dirtbikers down.

How did you go about getting that deal?

I'm trying to get into racing this spring. Hoping to make it to a few races, all depends on my money situation and whether or not my shoulder is completely healed. I would love to have some sort of sponsorship help, even if it was just helping pay for the races.

mhill157
01-23-2008, 07:40 PM
I have been dealing with a local shop for many years know, buying parts and quads. THat and the employees and owners son ride on my practice track.