PDA

View Full Version : tether killswitch ?

Ruby Soho
08-09-2007, 03:17 PM
alright im asking here because these things are universal, and i need to know how to put one on 2 quads.

Okay, i got them mounted on the handlebars fine, but the directions are vague and don't tell me which wire is supposed to be attached to the frame for ground, and which to "splice into the stator to ignition coil" wire..

a little help here?

BTW, they're Pro Armor

SWIGIN
08-09-2007, 03:50 PM
i alway hook the wire that comes out of the knob you pull to put the tether in to the coil.

on some kills if you use that one for the ground it will shock the crap out of you....lol

Scott-300ex
08-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Uh, black is ground.

If they are the same color, hook it up one way and try it, if it doesn't start after HAVING IT WARMED UP ALREADY, try it the other way then BAM!!!!!!!! Your ready to go.

I don't think it matters though.

SWIGIN
08-09-2007, 03:52 PM
you are right...it normaly dont matter

Ruby Soho
08-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Ok, then to my next few questions.

"splice the wire into the wire that goes from the stator to the ignition coil"

so i really have to splice it and all that?

last question, for the ground do i need a terminal and just bolt it anywhere on the frame? or can i just wrap the wire around a bolt and bolt that down?

SWIGIN
08-09-2007, 04:01 PM
its not the best way but in my 15 or more years running these kill switchs i just wrap the '' hot'' wire around the hot side of the coil and push on the factery wire ( honda coil) i never had a problem.

the ground can go to the frame anyware you want....or even the motor i guess

Ruby Soho
08-09-2007, 04:04 PM
well i know it can go anywhere, but do i need a terminal?

SWIGIN
08-09-2007, 04:05 PM
i would use a ring end but thats me

Ruby Soho
08-10-2007, 09:22 AM
swigin could you explain more to me about wrapping the hot wire around the hot side of the coil?

do i wrap the cable under a bolt and tighten it down?

i feel so dumb at this haha, i just really don't like electrical:chinese:

SWIGIN
08-10-2007, 09:40 AM
well it looks like one bike is a 400ex.....as with most all hondas the coil has a green and a black terminal on the coil that a green and black wire pushes on to.

its bin a wile but if you just wrap the wire around the terminal and push on the plug it will work....it s just hit or miss on what color you need. (i dont remeber wich one you need but just try one then the other)

on my 350rx hybrid i have a wire coming out of the motor that used to go to the factory kill switch so im useing that to power my tether but the universial rule of thumb is you can do it to 1 of the 2 coil wires and just ground the other wire coming out of the tether

SWIGIN
08-10-2007, 09:43 AM
i will not cut a fatory harness to hook up a kill switch, the coil way is just easyer and you wont be hacking the harness up

Ruby Soho
08-10-2007, 11:52 AM
hmm it didnt work.. im gnna have my neighbor help me do it so, thanks for the help