PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have PS3?

standardryder
08-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Im picken one up this saturday, whats the best co-op shooting game out? Im thinkin maybe Restance:fall of man. lookin for something kinda similar to gears of war for 360.

08-09-2007, 02:49 PM
i have a ps3...but i hate 1st person shooters...they give me a headache...

a guy i work with was a hard core tiger woods guy...that was all he played...he is now hooked on resistance...i dl-ed the demo version and it wasn't too bad, but i did get a headache so i never bothered to buy it...look on ebay...i have gotten a few brand new games for less than 35 shipped

Ralph
08-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Resistance is a realy good game and it is even better the second time. Play it through the first time on regular difficulty and then again on the harder difficulty.

Where are you buying a ps3? You should beable to get a nice 60 gig for 500 now. also, save your receipt cause you can get 5 free blue rays for free.

http://www.bluraysavings.com/Summer_Bundle-Online_Order_Form.pdf

As for other games, Motorstorm is a really fun game, rainbox six vegas was good too. I personaly enjoyed F.E.A.R as well altough it has gotten mixed reviews.

This is a good time to buy a ps3. Lots of new games coming out soon. You will not be dissapointed.

pro-rider46
08-09-2007, 03:23 PM
i have a 60gb one. i also have wireless internet and those tiger woods games are awesome over the interet. i once played a guy from the uk, its cool, if you have a hi speed internet, you can buy a wireless broadband router, and pick up the signal on the 60gb. so i dont know if you can play a multi player in resistence across the net but a lot of games you can.

if anyone is considering buying the ps3 i recomend a 60gb cause they are a better value but it cost like $200 just in extras you get with the 60gb. and with the 20gb you need to run a ethernet wire to the console to get the internet, when the 60gb has a wireless access point

Kaleigh
08-09-2007, 06:14 PM
not much really matches GOW.. Try the new Ghost Recon.. I played the demo and its pretty good.. But Im waiting for Call Of Duty 4 to come out..

Conman007
08-09-2007, 08:34 PM
I have the 60g. My online gamertag is Conman007. Pm because I need more friends on there.

pro-rider46
08-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Conman007
I have the 60g. My online gamertag is Conman007. Pm because I need more friends on there.

is that for me

standardryder
08-10-2007, 02:21 PM
cool i think ill go with resistance for now. prototype looks sick too bad it doesnt come out for another year!
do they even make the 20GB anymore? they make an 80GB now, i think that might have replaced the 20, maybe thats why the price dropped on the 60?

07250ex
08-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
i have a 60gb one. i also have wireless internet and those tiger woods games are awesome over the interet. i once played a guy from the uk, its cool, if you have a hi speed internet, you can buy a wireless broadband router, and pick up the signal on the 60gb. so i dont know if you can play a multi player in resistence across the net but a lot of games you can.

if anyone is considering buying the ps3 i recomend a 60gb cause they are a better value but it cost like $200 just in extras you get with the 60gb. and with the 20gb you need to run a ethernet wire to the console to get the internet, when the 60gb has a wireless access point

they dont make the 20 anymore they only make the 60 in america the 80 is in korea only atm

standardryder
08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
they dont make the 20 anymore they only make the 60 in america the 80 is in korea only atm

they have the 80 at my local circuit city, maybe they started shipping to they us?

Ralph
08-10-2007, 03:35 PM
80's just came out last week and it comes bundled with motorstorm (i think, might be resistance) for 600.

I would rather get the 60gig and if you have alot of movies and stuff to save on it you can buy a much larger hdd for like 140 bucks and put it in. Its very simple and doesnt void anything.

07250ex
08-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Does anybody know the amount of RAM these ps3's have?

Ralph
08-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
Does anybody know the amount of RAM these ps3's have?

its less than the 360 but its a different type and all that kind of complicated stuff. Why do you ask? For installing linux on it?

07250ex
08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
see how fast they are =p

standardryder
08-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM

is that upgradeable?

Ralph
08-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by standardryder
Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM

is that upgradeable?

No, its non upgradeble. It has very little ram because it utilizes the cell's spu's to stream textures and stuff. Im no expert but i have no worries about the size of the memory. If anyone has any doubt about gameplay quality and graphics check out the killzone 2 (still pre alpha) gameplay footage as well as the MGS4 gameplay footage. Amazing....

bluebaron
08-13-2007, 10:28 PM
My brother gave me his old one, its the 20g, I dont know much about them but its pretty cool. I like the blu ray player.

jal232
08-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Can someone explain the biggest differences between ps3 and 360? Im in the market to buy either one..I know 360 is cheaper but what are the big differences..Graphics, speed,??

mineralgrey01gt
08-14-2007, 10:05 AM
i have a ps3 and i like it a lot. I got rid of Motorstorm and MLB baseball 2K7 because in my honest opinion, they were the two worse games I have ever played. Motorstorm was decent, definitely lost the fun factor 1/2 way through.

I have Ninja Gaiden Sigma and its so kick ***. Crazy gameplay. I also use mine to play NCAA football 08 and im going to pick up Madden 08 also most probably.

Id buy it just to get MX vs ATV Untamed. I already have it payed for so im just waiting for it to come out! Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to be crazy kick *** also.

I have Resistance: Fall of Man. Its a really good first person shooter in my opinion.

mineralgrey01gt
08-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by jal232
Can someone explain the biggest differences between ps3 and 360? Im in the market to buy either one..I know 360 is cheaper but what are the big differences..Graphics, speed,??

PS3 has the blu-ray player on it which probably jacked the price up as high as it is. I think the PS3 will end up having better graphics over the 360, just not enough games out yet. Game designers have not pushed the envelope on PS3's yet.

jal232
08-14-2007, 10:38 AM
whats so good about blue ray player?

mineralgrey01gt
08-14-2007, 10:49 AM
its like how the DVD was the big thing when it came out, same with HD DVD's. The blu-ray games have crisp graphics, same with the movies. Its just the latest technology for movies and such.

Ralph
08-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Just so no one gets confused. HD-DVD is not the Same as Blue Ray.

They are two competing formats.

High-Density-DVD (HD-DVD) and Blue Ray are both Full 1080p high definition formats and both pretty much achieve the same thing. Blue ray has a little more room so they can fit more HD Extra content for movies.

When it comes to gaming. the 360 uses regular DVD's and PS3 uses Blue Ray Discs which are obviously way bigger in the amount of storage they have.

Games like Metal Gear Solid 4 for the PS3 could not even fit on one of the regular DVD's that Xbox360 uses.

Theres also some demos being shown (Drakes Fortune:Uncharted) that could not even fit on a regular DVD.

PS3 is built for the future and will take a little time to really get its roots going. 360 is like a weed in comparison where it grew quick but also die of very soon because its not built for the future (that and the fact that they break after a few months)

jal232
08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for clearing that up...Totally makes sense..I know my choice now..Just always liked the controllers on 360 except for wireless having to replace batts...But thnaks for your time.

Toadz400
08-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Just so no one gets confused. HD-DVD is not the Same as Blue Ray.

They are two competing formats.

High-Density-DVD (HD-DVD) and Blue Ray are both Full 1080p high definition formats and both pretty much achieve the same thing. Blue ray has a little more room so they can fit more HD Extra content for movies.

When it comes to gaming. the 360 uses regular DVD's and PS3 uses Blue Ray Discs which are obviously way bigger in the amount of storage they have.

Games like Metal Gear Solid 4 for the PS3 could not even fit on one of the regular DVD's that Xbox360 uses.
loo
Theres also some demos being shown (Drakes Fortune:Uncharted) that could not even fit on a regular DVD.

PS3 is built for the future and will take a little time to really get its roots going. 360 is like a weed in comparison where it grew quick but also die of very soon because its not built for the future (that and the fact that they break after a few months)

Bingo.

If you take a look at the PS2 when it came out, the graphics for it were better obviously but they weren't that great. It took game programmers a long time to fully take advantage of the PS2 because of it's advanced electronics. The same goes for the PS3, the graphics are great but they are nowhere near what it's capable of. I am excited to see what they will come up with it for in 2-4 years!

Ralph
08-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Bingo.

If you take a look at the PS2 when it came out, the graphics for it were better obviously but they weren't that great. It took game programmers a long time to fully take advantage of the PS2 because of it's advanced electronics. The same goes for the PS3, the graphics are great but they are nowhere near what it's capable of. I am excited to see what they will come up with it for in 2-4 years!

Exactly, sony always gets critized and ragged for coming out with advanced tech thats "too complicated"

With the ps2. (there may be alot of factual errors here but the main point is true) They used a new chip with parralel proccessing (i think thats what is was, going off of memory). Developers complained it was too hard and that the dreamcast was much better and easier to program for.

Skip to 2007 and sony set the standard with parralel processing and xbox and xbox 360 used the same technology.

Now the ps3 uses a PPC Cpu with 7 spu's which is more complicated but i will bet that it becomes the standard.

The only problem i see with the ps3 is that it does SO MUCH that most people dont even know or have no idea where to begin. When i get some time im just gonna have a ps3 thread and show off some of the cool things it can do.

Just a short list: Stream videos/music/photos from any computer without need for anything special. I can store and play movies on my ps3 and watch them at home on my tv or watch them anywhere in the world over wifi on my psp(Same goes for photos). I can watch 1080p high definition movies with the blue ray player. It has a web browser so i can surf the net and if tyour a little advanced you can install linux on it to enjoy a full Computer operating system on tv making just about anything possible.

PS3 Even can help cure diseases with its built in "Folding at home" application which utilizes the power of the ps3 to simulate protein folding. The idea behind this is that universities that cant afford super computers still have the power to do advanced computing through linked ps3's and computers doing the work for them.

Now, my favorite part is this: the ps3 is updated frequently and it just keeps giving. They add capabilities and featuers regularly. It is the only product that ive ever owned that gets better and gains value with time. (Imagine a quad that constantly upgrades its parts to make it better, for FREE.

Oh yea, being able to enjoy and immersive online experience for free is a big plus too!

On the other hand 360 is only like 270 now for the core model with no hard drive, wired controllers, and a life expectancy of less than a year. almost worth it for now.