PDA

View Full Version : Won't Idle

hondaman440ex
08-08-2007, 03:43 PM
I am trying to jet my quad after putting the big bore kit in it and it won't idle. Look at my sig. for all the mods. Right now I have a DJ 170 main and a DJ 190 needle @ third clip from the top. I just checked the valves and they are within the specs. I don't loose power anywhere and it doesn't back fire. It will idle when it is cold but after it warms up it won't! The fuel screw is all the way in, and I even tried making it idle faster. When I turn out the fuel screw fuel starts pouring out the over flow. What could be wrong, would the pilot make a difference from cold to operating temp.?

400exrider707
08-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by hondaman440ex
I am trying to jet my quad after putting the big bore kit in it and it won't idle. Look at my sig. for all the mods. Right now I have a DJ 170 main and a DJ 190 needle @ third clip from the top. I just checked the valves and they are within the specs. I don't loose power anywhere and it doesn't back fire. It will idle when it is cold but after it warms up it won't! The fuel screw is all the way in, and I even tried making it idle faster. When I turn out the fuel screw fuel starts pouring out the over flow. What could be wrong, would the pilot make a difference from cold to operating temp.?

First off sounds WAY too rich. Secondly you're not turning the fuel screw, you're turning the drain for the bowl. The screw is on the bottom near the intake tube on the motor side.

The pilot will make a huge difference.

I'm not a fan of DJ jets because they're not matched up with kehein. The numbers on the two do NOT mean the same size jet. a 170 main from DJ is going to be like a 190 or something ridiculous from kehein. Why did you change needles? Was there something wrong with the stocker, or did you put it in cause it came with the kit?

hondaman440ex
08-08-2007, 03:53 PM
I knew that DJs ran way rich, but a buddy told me to run a 195 or something like that, The needle came with the kit, and one of my buddies that thinks that he knows everything (same one) told me that was the fuel screw, it was right next to the idle screw.

JOEX
08-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
... Why did you change needles? Was there something wrong with the stocker, or did you put it in cause it came with the kit?
I don't have any first hand experience with the Jet kits but it's my understanding the needle in the kit is tapered differently to match the main jet from the kit. I wouldn't doubt they are physically interchangeable but getting an accurate comparison form others using teh kit will questionable.

Originally posted by hondaman440ex
I knew that DJs ran way rich, but a buddy told me to run a 195 or something like that, The needle came with the kit, and one of my buddies that thinks that he knows everything (same one) told me that was the fuel screw, it was right next to the idle screw.
Looking at the left side of the carb the fuel screw is behind the idle adjust screw, underneath the part of the carb that goes into the motor. It's can be very difficult to access.

CarGuy7a
08-09-2007, 07:01 PM
the reason for the different needles is because the keihin jets fuel flow differs from dynojets. so the needles are calibrated to meter the fuel correctly for the jet type.

the easy way i remember it is

Keihin jets = stock needle
Dynojet jets = dyno jet needle