View Full Version : need help!! connecting rod moves!!

h400exrydr
08-08-2007, 12:50 AM
ok so this weekend i raced and the quad was acting up real bad. it was ticking, like it needed a valve adjusment. i took it apart cuz i just ordered a 13:1 wiseco piston. as i was playing around with it i realized that the connecting rod moves side to side about 1cm each way. then i took out the oil filter and geuss wat....aluminum shavings in it. does that mean that my rod bearing is junk? im not too sure as to what to do right now. i would really appreciate some help! thanks.

Rulz
08-08-2007, 07:21 AM
side to side play is normal, don't have my manual in front of me to verify the service limit but on the rod you are looking for up and down movement. There should be none.

Regarding the metal shavings, don't run it, time to tear it down and find out what is going on, yea, possibly time for a new crank.

h400exrydr
08-08-2007, 09:54 AM
yea my motor is already completely torn down. im not really sure what it could be. to take out the crank i have to split the cases right? thanks! keep them replies coming please

GPracer2500
08-08-2007, 10:33 AM
How much metal shavings are we talking about? You say the shavings are aluminum?

h400exrydr
08-08-2007, 11:12 AM
well in the oil filter, in every little rib there was a light coating of aluminum, then there was a big glob of it that was about 3 ribs wide. and the oil had little pieces of aluminum in it. and yes the shavings are aluminum. thanks

turbo j
08-08-2007, 02:26 PM
You said it had 1cm of side to side play. Did you really mean 1 centimeter or 1 mm millimeter. One millimeter is probably normal but if it truely has 1 centimeter of side to side play you are lucky you're not shopping ebay for engine cases.

What's the story on side to side rod movement?

I think you need a new crank assembly.

h400exrydr
08-08-2007, 04:03 PM
i dont know exactly how much movement 1cm or 1 mm. all i know is that it moves more than i think it should. its only the connecting rod, is there bearings that go from the connecting rod to the crank? jeez im soo lost right now.

GPracer2500
08-08-2007, 04:31 PM
The big end of the connecting rod side clearance spec is:

normal: 0.002" to 0.024"
service limit: 0.030"

That is measured by sticking a feeler gauge between the side of the rod and the crankshaft. You don't measure it by how much the little end can be deflected.

The radial clearance (up/down movement) of the big end of the rod should be imperceptible. To have a chance of feeling it with your hand you'd have to get all the oil out of the area (unless of course it's way out of spec). The spec is:

normal: 0.0002" to 0.0007"
service limit: 0.002"

If the shavings in the crank oil side are aluminum then I'd think they must be from the piston, case, or perhaps the bore if the Nikasil is badly damaged. I can't think of anything else on non-clutch side of the engine that's made from aluminum. There may be something--but I can't think of it.

h400exrydr
08-08-2007, 07:29 PM
well the piston and cylinder r ok. i will check the case. thanks a ton for the specs! i have one problem right now, i am tryin to get the back bolt where it goes thru the swinger and the motor, but i CANNOT get it out. any tips on that? thanks!

86 Quad R
08-09-2007, 09:01 AM
surely its not 1 cm that aquates to roughly .400" :eek2: is there and up en down slop to the rod?

h400exrydr
08-09-2007, 07:18 PM
well i checked, it is about .030 slop side to side. none up and down. so what does it mean if the slop is to the service limit? what part do i need? thanks for all the help so far.

86 Quad R
08-09-2007, 09:03 PM
at this point you need to find out where the aluminum came from which may consist of busting the cases apart.

h400exrydr
08-10-2007, 12:26 AM
well i have never split a motor so i think i am going to bring it in to my builder. i dont want to take it apart and have something fall out and not know it or somethin. UNLESS.....someone can help me out with some directions....