PDA

View Full Version : skimming...big wipe

10-29-2001, 04:47 PM
I was at Silver Lake earlier this summer, and these two guys on banshees were cutting across this puddle, maybe 60 yards long. they would hit it in 4th and sometimes 5th sit back and fly across this thing...looked easy enough...i asked them some questions, but didn't have the kahones(?) to try it in front of a few hundred riders.

2 months later we were messing around in this gravel pit... nobody around...what the heck. The first few passes were all about learning. I shoulda made a few more of those. I made a run in 3rd sat back and got about 40 yards out of 50 and the rear end walked out to the left...end result...i moving sideways at a pretty good clip towards dry land. Really i got pretty lucky small bruise on my shoulder, and a fat lip from my helmet punching me when i did the flying face plant. Quad damage=few scratches on the fenders.

I tried it again a few minutes later...same thing happened except somehow i managed to save it...Barely!

kinda funny-now.

trx400ex
10-29-2001, 05:55 PM
ive done that before, it sucks

trueblue450
10-29-2001, 08:58 PM
Gotta have all the tire pressures the exact same, and gotta hit it as straight as possible. I don't know how everyone can do that.

trx400ex
10-30-2001, 01:51 PM
another thing, banshees have a fck of alot of wheel spin, and that is really what water skipping is all about......

JabberJaw
10-30-2001, 04:18 PM
I hope you guys are wearing your lifejackets!

bsr
10-30-2001, 07:41 PM
I seen this thing on tv that showed 4x4 dune buggy's doing it. And they said the key to skipping is tire pressure and speed. They also had sand paddles, stock tires are much harder !!

Chef
10-30-2001, 10:51 PM
that was on tlc right? i think it showed them going up 90* slopes too right? like 1000 horsepower

bsr
10-30-2001, 11:43 PM
Yeah it was on tlc, they were hill climing. It showed some sweet crashs too :)

10-31-2001, 09:11 AM
Yeah with nitros,,,they's get like 300 exra ponies with a push of a button,,,I seen that show too,,some serious power goin on with them things..

400exRacerX
10-31-2001, 06:36 PM
Yea, I seen it too, they climb the hills and right when they get to the tip of the hill they hit the boost and jump the hill, those 4X4 are pretty sweet.

11-01-2001, 06:32 PM
I saw those too, they kik ***** I like how they went over backwards and snappeed axles like nothing.

trx400ex
11-02-2001, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Yeah with nitros,,,they's get like 300 exra ponies with a push of a button,,,I seen that show too,,some serious power goin on with them things..

actualy it was 800 w/o nirous, and 1000 with, so an extra 200...i

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I thought I'd warn
you
all cause you are all so close to me.....

Don't go to the bathroom on October 28th. CIA intelligence reports
that a major plot is planned for that day. Anyone who sits on the pot
on the 28th will be bitten on the *** by an alligator. Reports
indicate that organized groups of alligators are planning to rise up
into unsuspecting American's toilet bowls and bite them when they are
doing their dirty business.

I usually don't send emails like this, but I got this information
from a reliable source. It came from a friend of a friend whose
cousin is dating this girl whose brother knows this guy whose wife
knows this lady whose husband buys hotdogs from this guy who knows a
shoeshine guy who shines the shoes of a mailroom worker who has a
friend who's drug dealer sells drugs to another mailroom worker who
works in the CIA building. He apparently overheard two guys talking
in the bathroom about alligators and came to the conclusion that we
are going to be attacked. So it must be true.

Clay
11-09-2001, 10:28 PM
LOL TRX, that was great. I have had my laugh for the night. Thanks for the warning!

11-21-2001, 07:56 PM
ahhh the memories... last winter there was a wam day i was motavating out threw this field about 4th gear 1/2 throttle and well some of the snow melted into a puddle about 3inches deep and 15ft long... it was too late to slow down so i kept it hammered and hydroplanned threw it..or so i planned ... the quad stopped in its tracks i didn't i landed about 10ft infront of the quad....lol it was funny cuz i landed in sno and i didn't hurt just really funny... lets just say i remeberd about that puddle the rest of the year...

11-22-2001, 07:17 AM
Last winter my friend and were riding my recon in the snow and we went around this corner as fast as we could and when we went around it we just let go and it would throw you about 8ft out maybe 4 ft high and you would just land in the soft snow and the recon wouldnt even flip!!! it was sooo fun. It looked really stupid but it was fun.:D

flyin#5
11-22-2001, 09:05 AM
if u guys want to water skip get a Honda 200SX. i have on there very light. this summer i went to lake vermillion in mn. they have some major puddles up there. i would just floor it accross these 20+ foot puddles!! and easily. me and my freinds call it mikes waterskippin technolagys. because when my friends try it the sink in the puddle. i have a pic where all you can see is water not even a little bit of the quad. this one time my cuz was on my 350 4by w/itp blackwater 27x12x12, we where goin full speed flyin through these puddles. i was skippin pretty good. then there was this puddle that had some peices of land stickin up so i didnt want to skip cuz i might hit one. so i stoped in the middle. of course i was in 5th gear and could go nowhere. here comes my cuz goin 50+ in 1ft of water 1ft next to me!! i couldnt see in right next to me!! i was soaked! i apolagize for the long message.

10-19-2002, 09:30 PM
i got a mud puddle about 20+ feet long and about knee high in nasty muddy water. Well my friends had the balls to do it first and he made it so i said his quad weighs more than mine so i can do it. So i hit it in about 3rd gear. got to about the last ten feet and caught some mud and it threw me like 10 feet infront of my 300 face first. and then the quad just rolled right out of the mud. My friend was laughing his butt off for the next ten minutes until he got stuck and needed help out. Lets just say he got his fair share of roost.:devil

~JOEY~

loganB
10-19-2002, 09:47 PM
Last sunmmer my freind and I skioed acrost a pond in a feild it was like 2 feet deep I hight it in fourth pined and skimed acrost it was sweet.

Krazy Kid
10-20-2002, 05:36 PM
in our old sandrail we didn't have to skim. Me and my cousin and his friend built a frame with these huge tcs shocks and stuff and dropped a deisel 350 into it. Not as much ponies as the ones on tlc but it worked. we ran the pipes up the side about 6 feet. And i you don't know as long as the pipe and the intiake is above water it won't drown out. it was also street leage. man that thing was fun... we took it through water that was over our heads while setting down and pulled right out of it...ya it was a 4by too...differential..you know all the goodies...

ridered86
10-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex

actualy it was 800 w/o nirous, and 1000 with, so an extra 200...i

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I thought I'd warn
you
all cause you are all so close to me.....

Don't go to the bathroom on October 28th. CIA intelligence reports
that a major plot is planned for that day. Anyone who sits on the pot
on the 28th will be bitten on the *** by an alligator. Reports
indicate that organized groups of alligators are planning to rise up
into unsuspecting American's toilet bowls and bite them when they are
doing their dirty business.

I usually don't send emails like this, but I got this information
from a reliable source. It came from a friend of a friend whose
cousin is dating this girl whose brother knows this guy whose wife
knows this lady whose husband buys hotdogs from this guy who knows a
shoeshine guy who shines the shoes of a mailroom worker who has a
friend who's drug dealer sells drugs to another mailroom worker who
works in the CIA building. He apparently overheard two guys talking
in the bathroom about alligators and came to the conclusion that we
are going to be attacked. So it must be true.

well im still gonna check

bluebaron
10-29-2002, 06:51 PM
my friend was telling me how his bro was skimming his rubicon
in 2 feet of water going 30

RIGHT!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

suck my pipe
10-29-2002, 08:07 PM
The things on TLC are called icelantic racing!!! They lok Bad ***** I want one
:devil

10-29-2002, 08:16 PM
i found that my warrior skims way better than my 400ex :huh i really dunno why tho?

lil400exman
10-31-2002, 02:00 PM
casue warriors are boats..:p

11-02-2002, 08:03 PM
y d these old posts keep coming back?

CHAUNCY
11-03-2002, 10:03 AM
this post started a couple days ago

11-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY
this post started a couple days ago

this post started:
10-29-2001 06:47 PM

a little over a year ago

CHAUNCY
11-03-2002, 10:15 AM
o sorry i didnt look at the year i just looked at the date.

11-03-2002, 12:36 PM
no problem:D

Bean
11-03-2002, 12:44 PM
old post, LMAO