PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjustment question

FireFighterI
08-07-2007, 06:04 PM
I have a quick question.. I am putting my quad back together after doing a piston and cam.. when adjusting the valves I was a little confused.. I thought that I had the right shim in one of the valves but it seemed so damn tight getting the right feeler gauge under it... but when I dropped the shim down one size is seemed a little to lose? is it better to have them really tight then kinda lose? any input would be helpful.. thanks

honda300EXtreme
08-07-2007, 07:00 PM
as a personal preferance i would rather have my valve clearances a tad larger, if i have to make a choice...

but ive seen people in your situation take the shim that makes the valves tight and actually file or sand them down a bit to get the proper clearance....

FireFighterI
08-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
as a personal preferance i would rather have my valve clearances a tad larger, if i have to make a choice...

but ive seen people in your situation take the shim that makes the valves tight and actually file or sand them down a bit to get the proper clearance....

Thank you for the help.. I am hoping that they are close enough.. the intake valves where dead on. but I did have a little trouble getting the exhaust valves adjusted right. hopefuly it runs fine.. what are the symptoms of having your exhaust valves to tight or two lose? will it run like crap?

honda300EXtreme
08-08-2007, 09:53 AM
the most obvious symtoms will be tapping, or you will feel a slight loss in power,,, but trust me if you have to make a choice leave them a little loose,,