PDA

View Full Version : xc 250r

cr977
08-07-2007, 01:26 PM
well i have been wanting to get a 450 for a while, i have been riding them and they are really fun, but they cost 3500 and they are stock, come on now, 3500 for a bike that may or may not be ready to blow? i have seen enough 450s blow up to know it is more than possible. they make awesome power and i love to ride them, but gosh, i will have to at least have the suspension worked on before i can race it(200) and a pipe(400 at least) a filter(40) and then it is possible to race, but if something happens to the engine i am screwed thats more than 4000$ just to start with, and that is a 4 year old bike that is probably worn out. i have never rode a 250r but i have alot of 2 stroke experience from blasters to 2 stroke dirt bikes,i love the simplicity of 4 strokes like not having to mix gas, but they are so expensive. how is a 250r? do they handle well? could i be competitive in xc? i am more comfortable on a 2 stroke then a 4 stroke but a 4 stroke you can make a mistake easier and not pay for it as much. so what do you say? my main question is could i be competitive on a 250r in xc. 250rs are goin for cheap around here so that is another reason i am interested

Bender
08-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Do 250R's handle well? They certainly do.
Post this in the 250R forum and you'll get plenty of ideas and advice. What is great about rthe 250R's is they can be made to do XC/MX or trail ride very easily, many options. Still a very competitive platform in my opinion.

400exrider707
08-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Where do you get your figures from? Suspension worked for $200? Not in this lifetime. Usually runs around $700 for a set of rebuilds. aftermarkets are in the thousands. Pipe yeah 400 sounds reasonable, depending on what you get. I've picked up multiple slip-ons on this site for $100 shipped. Uni filters are $25 $4000 for the motor? You can get a brand new crate motor from Honda for less than that... Mine blew this past winter... complete new crank, rod, crank bearings, misc bearings, piston, diff cam, gaskets, yada yada, and it was less than $600 for all that, did the work myself.

They are a race machine and require race dollars, if thats something you're not comfortable with then its not the machine for you.;)

criminalpoet
08-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Its hard to touch a well built R, I dont care what the competiton is on. Do they handle good? I think their the best handling quads out there still. And properly built they can have as much power as any, and better than most. Its all a matter of which generation you prefer. New quads are good, but so is the 250r.

Hell ive been considering building a 450, but I would never sell my R. Plus, I have never been beaten on my R by anything so far.

cr977
08-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Where do you get your figures from? Suspension worked for $200? Not in this lifetime. Usually runs around $700 for a set of rebuilds. aftermarkets are in the thousands. Pipe yeah 400 sounds reasonable, depending on what you get. I've picked up multiple slip-ons on this site for $100 shipped. Uni filters are $25 $4000 for the motor? You can get a brand new crate motor from Honda for less than that... Mine blew this past winter... complete new crank, rod, crank bearings, misc bearings, piston, diff cam, gaskets, yada yada, and it was less than $600 for all that, did the work myself.

They are a race machine and require race dollars, if thats something you're not comfortable with then its not the machine for you.;)

i am talking about 3500 for a complete used stock bike, 400$ around for a pipe, 40 bucks for a k&n, and i was acually taking a guess with suspension, on bikes, you can get your suspension revalved for 100 bucks for the forks so i figured 3 shocks should be about 200, i guess i figured wrong but yea, 4000+ for a still nearly stock bike, to much, so i was thinking 250r, i can get a stockish one for around 1500-2000 in good condition 250 for a pipe on ebay, reeds, air filter, and new plug 220$ if that, and put a new top end in250$, then assuming the bottom end is in good condition, i have a new motor, and enough power to be more than competitive and if i sell my 300 for 2500, i am still about even in balance, i have seen 250rs with pipe silencer, reeds, filter, newer top end, nerfs, bumper and other random things go for 1500, throw in some skids and a kill switch and ive got a racer

250Renvy
08-22-2007, 12:32 PM
These days, you can buy a complete race ready 250R for $4000 and that's one with everything done to it.