PDA

View Full Version : New To Racing

ATV Hammond
08-07-2007, 12:23 PM
I am 16 and have just sold my 100cc quad. (Too small as you can imagine) I have decided form the help of you guys to buy a 08 YFZ. I am quite nervous about how much power the 4 stroke 450 will have against my previous 2 stroke 100.

It gets worse! I have been saving up to race for 2 years and really want to start next year; my first race is about the end of March. I will buy the YFZ in September some time; problem is that I will only have 6-7 months riding it.

I have never ridden a manual gear box, never raced before, never even attempted a descent size MX jump; biggest quad ever ridden is a 170cc, never been on a MX track.

Will I be ready to race in this time?

Do you think this is a good idea or not, HELP! :ermm:

FoxRacing81
08-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by ATV Hammond
I am 16 and have just sold my 100cc quad. (Too small as you can imagine) I have decided form the help of you guys to buy a 08 YFZ. I am quite nervous about how much power the 4 stroke 450 will have against my previous 2 stroke 100.

It gets worse! I have been saving up to race for 2 years and really want to start next year; my first race is about the end of March. I will buy the YFZ in September some time; problem is that I will only have 6-7 months riding it.

I have never ridden a manual gear box, never raced before, never even attempted a descent size MX jump; biggest quad ever ridden is a 170cc, never been on a MX track.

Will I be ready to race in this time?

Do you think this is a good idea or not, HELP! :ermm:

I bought my YFZ on a Thursday, took it to the race and got 1st on Sunday.

Granted I rode a quad bigger then 100cc and I rode a 450 before that, you should be fine with 6-7 months. Hell you should be fine in 6-7 weeks. Just start slow.

A manual transmission is very easy. You will stall your first few times. Just slowly release it, and as you are releasing it, keep the gas steady at about 1/4 throttle and slowly give it a little more until the clutch is fully disengaged. Then remember, 1st gear-all the way down, neutral-1 up(from 1st), 2nd gear-3 up, 3rd gear-4 up and so on...then when you want to shift, pull clutch in as you are moving, let off gas momentarily, shift up, and give it gas as you are letting the clutch out.
Very easy after you do it a few times...you'll be fine.
As for jumping, again, start small and build your confidence up and then slowly go bigger.

yfzrider310
08-08-2007, 09:31 PM
ur screwed get like a blaster and work your way up like i did
its alot easier i just rode a 450 today and holy ***t the have alot of power and you have 2 be good 2 get one my choice dont buy one...seriously dont

register at yamiriders.com great site i learned alot

FoxRacing81
08-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider310
its alot easier i just rode a 450 today and holy ***t the have alot of power and you have 2 be good 2 get one my choice dont buy one...seriously dont

Don't listen to him...6-7 months...you'll be FINE.

My buddy went from a 220 Bayou utility quad to a Raptor 660...he now races and smokes local B class MX...granted not on a raptor, but that just shows you...it doesn't matter where you started, as long as you take your time and ride smart and safe, you got nothing to worry about.

ATV Hammond
08-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I will just go slow and take it easy.

I will proberly be to scared to take out of 1st gear.

Thanks again. :)

sdbrown12388
08-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider310

You don't need to be advertising other sites on here

DVXracer
08-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Dont listen to anybody who says no, buy it. You have a dream and a oppertunity, forfill it. Yes it may have power but you are on 4 wheels as long as you take it easy till you learn youll be fine. With 6-7 months seat time youll be plenty ready.