PDA

View Full Version : can-am DS 90 X?

Bayman111
08-07-2007, 10:02 AM
I just got the new issue of ATV Action and saw tthis new 90 dual A-arm DS 90 X. It looks pretty compedative. so I decided to check the Can Am website and ended up with nothing. does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks, Bailey

Bayman111
08-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Ok, just got this, Can-AmX.com, We have to wait till the 23rd for details, but from the picture it is black, with nerf bars, a cool bupmer w/ number plate, gull wing dual A-arms, piggyback shocks, Kenda Klaws, Big Tires on the rear, black rims, looks like a radiator hiding upm under there, so it might be liquid cooled, and the most surprising of all it lookes like one of those dual pyramid frames, by the way the frame shoots out behind the bumper. Its realy, REALY low to the ground. This might be the next great race-ready mini quad.

Thanks again, Bailey

BradLoomis
08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
This is the only one I could round up for you.

http://www.aurorawheelers.com/gallery/data/530/medium/CanAm_X_Machines.jpg

Bayman111
08-07-2007, 02:25 PM
yep thats the same ad i saw just a little bit clearer

mcatvme
08-07-2007, 02:37 PM
We like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TeamSimsRacing
08-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Bottom line is what kind of engine is in it? Pretty safe bet it's a 4 stroke to get through emissions, frame is probably made by Acess in Taiwan, A arms look like Carter's set up. Question is, is it a shifter or a CVT?

mcatvme
08-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I would guess CVT 4 stroke. Its the LT a-arms that got me scratching my head. There DS90 is a single a-arm bike for 2008. Thats what is shows on there web site.

Bayman111
08-07-2007, 05:13 PM
I hope its a four-stroke, manual clutch 5speed liquid cooled completely new motor, probably not.

dodgepower
08-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Well looks racey if anything so might be bringing more people to the sport just cause they feel fast:)

Livin4Real
08-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by dodgepower
Well looks racey if anything so might be bringing more people to the sport just cause they feel fast:)

:D

Valder
08-11-2007, 01:15 AM
My son is all ready to get rid of his Desert Cat 90 for that CanAm
DS 90X and I don't blame him. We'll just have to wait and see what the price is like.

Fast is not so much of an issue with him, but this one definately looks to ride alot better than the DC90.

V

TWISTED DINLI
08-11-2007, 06:31 PM
that thing is awesome lookin. i cant wait to see how it does on the track.

wvspeedfreak
08-11-2007, 06:35 PM
I hope it looks as good up close as it does in that pic.It appears someone did their homework on this one.

TWISTED DINLI
08-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I hope it looks as good up close as it does in that pic.It appears someone did their homework on this one.

yessssss

cjpoole1
08-13-2007, 09:49 PM
I zoomed in and cleaned it up a little

Livin4Real
08-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Wonder if that left hand lever is a clutch or a brake :macho

mcatvme
08-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Looks like a brake master clyinder or maybe a hydr. clutch perch?????:eek2:

Scro
08-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Stock with Kenda tires? That's kinda strange considering its a mini.

racinmason911
08-14-2007, 11:14 AM
That front shock looks like it wouldn't work that great for mx. the spring is compressed a ton just sitting there! That looks like a hydraulic brake lever for the rear brakes just like the DRR. Looks to be kind of heavy too........

TWISTED DINLI
08-14-2007, 02:43 PM
yea it does look like it would be heavy but pics dont say everything.

Livin4Real
08-14-2007, 10:13 PM
It looks like the helper springs are on the bottom of the front shocks which is why it looks really compressed or could just be a new spring design, 8 days and we'll know.

mxmike17
08-15-2007, 07:35 AM
I saw one last night at Pep boys:eek2:

Nichols Atvs
08-15-2007, 08:26 AM
AND

mxmike17
08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
It had a rotex 125cc 4 stroke moter, aluminum frame and weighed in at 175 pounds.

mxmike17
08-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Forgot to add fuel injected, PVL ignition and manuel 6 speed hydro clutch.

Livin4Real
08-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Pep Boys :blah: :D

77racerdad
08-15-2007, 12:16 PM
and it runs 1,250.99 out the door. :macho :macho :macho :p :p :p

Nichols Atvs
08-15-2007, 02:15 PM
What is pep boys doing with a can-am product did you see the correct machine seems awfully inexpensive .

kenjolly
08-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Pep boys sells junk not can-am's. can-am doesnt sell anything cheap.

Livin4Real
08-15-2007, 10:11 PM
He was being sarcastic about Pep Boys

kenjolly
08-16-2007, 05:09 AM
so was I, if that can - am run's like the rest of their stuff their might be a new player in town.

mxmike17
08-16-2007, 05:34 AM
I was clowning around:D

It was realy at Sam's club:p

dodgepower
08-16-2007, 05:36 AM
MXMIKE see what you are starting..................

Hey give me a shout later

drr5
08-16-2007, 07:22 AM
mx mike i call shinnanagans, lol:blah: :blah: :blah: :D :D

mxmike17
08-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Ok....OK...
I didnt see one:devil:

It will be sweet if they put the effort into this bike as they did there 450. Can-Ams focus is to be #1 they say.
Just from the picture it looks like it is 100% better than the old single a-arm DS90.

drr5
08-16-2007, 11:37 AM
ive heard rumors for sometime now that there was supposed to be a new production shifter quad built, who knows? this may be it, ive heard ktm, polini, lem, gasgas, who knows it could turn out interesting or it could be another disapointment for the atv community.

ryanc
08-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I was told by a dealer today that the DS90X will retail for $3200.

flht_db
08-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Nothing there yet.

http://www.can-am.brp.com/BRPHtml/CanAmX

Valder
08-23-2007, 11:23 AM
$3200 eh? Well then I'll be getting it for the kid. I'll have to go to my local and put a downpayment on one of them.

Now to sell the Desert Cat 90.

Darrin

mcatvme
08-23-2007, 12:21 PM
It works for me......

drr5
08-23-2007, 12:29 PM
i read that can am is pushing back the release of th 90 due to afew specific reasons, 1 that mx mike let the cat out of the bag on letting everyone know about pep boys being there new dealer network. LOL:D :D :D :D :D :devil: :devil:

kenny9575
08-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Very nice rolling chassis leaves me wishing for a better motor or at least a auto shift like the trx 90s.I would buy one if it was our first year out racing. Should'nt take long for the after market to get on the ball making it better.

BradLoomis
08-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't know about some of the stuff I see.

It looks like the same frame as the single a-arm bike with an adaptor plate bolted on (a copy of Rath Racings dual A-arms) to make it into a dual a-arm bike. My guess is this is out of steel not aluminum.

The steering stem has about 2" tall blocks on it to raise the bars instead of a longer stem.

The rear axle looks like the standard sleeved axle that comes on the stock bike except the X version has really extended hubs. This should break pretty quick as the hubs look to be extended about 3-4" over stock. My other question is if this is the stock DS frame and they pushed the front duals out to a width of 43" from 35.6" and the rear to 41"... did the lengthen the swingarm or push the a-arms forward to lengthen the wheel base from 39.4"? The width of the wheels should never be more than the wheel base. If it is, this bike could be a real handfull in the tracking/handling department at racing speeds.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not a hater of this quad. I really do like it. I only hope they didn't just market a looks quad to people planning on racing them with their kids. Only time will tell.

Valder
08-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Well now I have a whole lot to look at when I go look at it. LOL!

Though I am not looking for a racer just one with better suspension for the kid when he is going through the terrain that we ride through.

Darrin

BradLoomis
08-23-2007, 01:31 PM
I think in your mindset... this might be one of, if not the best recreational rides out there. I can't wait to see one in person though. It is a really good looking bike!!!!

bulldogfallon
08-23-2007, 02:28 PM
The specs are now available online...

Click on the pic and it will take you to the quad's page and then click on specs on the left side of the page

This will take you to a PDF page with the DS model specs...

Look at the bottom of the page to see their "X" Package

4 Stroke 2 Valve engine CVT....

"X" Package seems to be only a look and suspension package

But it does look cool

Valder
08-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Yeah that is what it looks like. but trying to get the Desert Cat 90
done up like that with the A Arms and shocks would be just as much cash and lots more work than buying the Can-Am.

Darrin

flht_db
08-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by mcatvme
It works for me......

Hey Eric,

It worked, just wasn't updated yet.

Looked at it tonight and had 2 boys drooling.

Dennis

mcatvme
08-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Austin was the xame way. We cant wait to get our hands on one:eek2: ....i mean look at:devil:

flht_db
08-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by mcatvme
Austin was the xame way. We cant wait to get our hands on one:eek2: ....i mean look at:devil:

Darren thinks he needs a new quad and Dennis is like "it has dual a-arms and nerf bars stock" he's jonesing

Still wish it was a shifter.

bulldogfallon
08-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Seems more like looker than a runner to me...

4 stroke 90?

DS90X sure looks nice, but I bet it doesn't run as well as it looks...

If the "X" package included a modded engine then I may think differently..

Only time will tell...Just hope everyone doesn't buy one because it looks good....

Proof is on the podium (if your an MX rider)

hak231
08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by mxmike17
It had a rotex 125cc 4 stroke moter, aluminum frame and weighed in at 175 pounds.

Are you sure that it wasn't a Roteka 125cc (typhoon copy). The sell those Rotekas at Pep Boys and Cosco.

I agree, The "x" package just seems to be a look and suspension package. This would definately make a good trail/recreation ride. It would be nice to see a semi-auto or manual clutch design in the tranny though. Enough with the CVTs already!!! I was riding a manual clutch when I was 7. What's the harm in making a kid learn the hard way. Once he has the shifting mastered, the only thing left is to practice technique. The set-up on the TRX250EX would be great, all the versatility of a manual, with the "dumbability" of a semi-auto.

azextreme
08-23-2007, 10:10 PM
yes a 90 four stroke is down on power! But so was the trx 90 now look at them 124se kits! As most thing out there modding verses stock is day and night.

dodgepower
08-24-2007, 05:32 AM
Bulldog,

You know its getting a bit old that every stinking post you have has something about your beloved DRR........................EVERYONE..........

Stop being a dealer and pushing it so stinking hard. In case you noticed this was a thread about the new CAN AM.................

We get it that your DRR is pretty good and you believe in them.

Believe me I am just saying what alot have wanted to say..........

Keep up the good work with your rides and glad you are happy with them....................

Andyman17dad
08-24-2007, 05:58 AM
I think it resembles the Typhoon a little.

But nicer!

First year out, let's see how they stand up. It definatly looks cool! And it is good to see another company (and a bigger, reputable company) stepping up and putting out some better mini-quads.

bulldogfallon
08-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Bulldog,

You know its getting a bit old that every stinking post you have has something about your beloved DRR........................EVERYONE..........

Stop being a dealer and pushing it so stinking hard. In case you noticed this was a thread about the new CAN AM.................

We get it that your DRR is pretty good and you believe in them.

Believe me I am just saying what alot have wanted to say..........

Keep up the good work with your rides and glad you are happy with them....................

It nothing to do with the fact that I represent DRR...The reason I do represent them is because of all of the reasons I post..

If there is another brand that provides equal or better value then I would also include them, but at this point I don't see one.

I had to use a point of reference to show what else is out there that "should" be a better value.

Looking pretty don't get you to the podium....

I know some sweet looking quads that get pushed off the track everytime....I'll give you one guess...

Let me know when I have done something wrong and offered incorrect info or an incorrect reference to value and performance

Some guys on this thread may never venture onto one of the other forums, I made a reference which may save this sometime and money instead of just buying a pretty quad.

Pep Boys has the Storm 125 and it looks great, but that is about it..

I guess I should let people make the same mistake and not offer up an alternative?

If the Apex quads could finish a race I would gladly offer them up as an alternative..

This is not my source of income for my living....the mini quad scene is my passion....

Take your posts and put them in the garage next to the broken Apex

dodgepower
08-24-2007, 06:50 AM
Not telling where can post guess didnt read it right..........

Was talking about no matter where you post its about the beloved DRR.............

They are great bikes...............we got it.

Also my Apex finished every national race its been in................So guess i got the only one that was built right huh?..............The only DNF we have had was broken bolts in rear sprocket.........

Its not about the which is the better bike. I am talking about that everytime you say something DRR has to be in it..........

bulldogfallon
08-24-2007, 06:59 AM
You should play the lottery with that kind of luck.

If you had never made a post like DRR SUX then your post would hold a little more water.

I removed my DRR parts on this thread out of respect for Can Am....

Valder
08-24-2007, 07:02 AM
Unfortunately no dealers by me in Rochester for the DRR/DRX otherwise I would have to look at them as well. Bought one ATV online and was lucky...won't be doing that again without checking it out first.

But if the suspension works as good as it looks I'll be getting the Can-Am...don't so much care for the motor as I don't need my kid going that fast. So I guess I might be their target market. :D

Darrin

dodgepower
08-24-2007, 07:03 AM
The DRR S.U.X post was just a joke not meant any harm by it. Sorry if couldnt read it that way as ask my friends I am usually just joking around..............

Trust me if we were in the smaller size bikes we would be on a DRR but we arent...........................

I would like for you to post some info on the new DRR bigger bikes though as we are getting ready to possibly go ahead and move up...............like specs and all......will it compete with the new yamaha and the ageless honda?

bulldogfallon
08-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Ha ha...I'm still laughing....

I am not your friend...so don't think that I know what you mean by text posts..

I didn't come after you on my reponse did I?

Other dids, but I held my ground even though I didn't think it was appropriate. No need to publicy question you

If I had a problem I would have PM'd you with a suggestion.

Not make a post about it....

See the difference in how things should be handled.

bulldogfallon
08-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Thank you pointing out my inconsiderate posts on this thread...

I will be more aware of my future posts and try to exlcude uneccessary comments that pertain to other brands.

I apologize to the thread starter and Can Am.

flht_db
08-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
Seems more like looker than a runner to me...

4 stroke 90?

DS90X sure looks nice, but I bet it doesn't run as well as it looks...

If the "X" package included a modded engine then I may think differently..

Only time will tell...Just hope everyone doesn't buy one because it looks good....

Proof is on the podium (if your an MX rider)

For a first year racer especially XC it could be good, suspension is already done. Add a pipe and jetting and it'll probably wake up a little and still be stock. Dual a-arms on the Honda is modified not stock limited.

Again have to see how it holds up.

bulldogfallon
08-24-2007, 07:46 AM
I hope someone gets one and can post some feedback..

It sure does look the part....

Wish someone would build a 150 shifter (CRF150 type engine) or Blaster sized frame with a dirtbike style engine in it.

Can Am seems like their serious about performance so this could be the new bad boy on the block

I'll be checking my local dealership to see when they come in.

bulldogfallon
08-24-2007, 07:56 AM
The DRR S.U.X post was just a joke not meant any harm by it. Sorry if couldnt read it that way as ask my friends I am usually just joking around..............

Trust me if we were in the smaller size bikes we would be on a DRR but we arent...........................

I would like for you to post some info on the new DRR bigger bikes though as we are getting ready to possibly go ahead and move up...............like specs and all......will it compete with the new yamaha and the ageless honda?

The DRX300 is not a track bike (wish it was)....It is a little bulky and heavy to be considered for MX(plus it is a cvt tranny)....great trail quad though

I would like to see the new Yamaha in person..Looks nice!!

Now if Honda would put a CRF motor in a mini quad or a mid level quad like a 250cc....I would be first in line...

Yep I am Honda blind too :)

I have a TRX450R....

jetski_dawg
08-24-2007, 10:28 AM
i hope others(suzuki,yamaha,kawasaki) follow can-ams lead..competition is good..look how much apex and drr has improved in just a few years

quadinfamily
08-24-2007, 01:14 PM
the way can-am is going everyone that racing in the next 5 years will be on one...

azextreme
08-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
I hope someone gets one and can post some feedback..

It sure does look the part....

Wish someone would build a 150 shifter (CRF150 type engine) or Blaster sized frame with a dirtbike style engine in it.

Can Am seems like their serious about performance so this could be the new bad boy on the block

I'll be checking my local dealership to see when they come in.

There is JB Racing only cost around 15k!!!!

kris32775
09-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Just put a deposit on one for my son.Hope to be in before november. Probaly will be looking for some one to punch it out,port and polish etc.What do you think.

Chillinthemost
10-18-2007, 07:25 PM
anyone get one yet?

kris32775
10-19-2007, 03:27 PM
I ordered one from hollengers in denver pa. It should be in on the first week of november.From what i here if you didn't order one you are sol, they said they are already sold out of 2007/8 models. I never had so much anxiety over getting a quad, not even for me ,for my oldest 9.

ecmini1
10-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Hope this dosent turn out like the hype with the typoons, every one hurried up to buy a new product that had issues. If its hard to get the machine wait to see how hard parts will be to get.

Thing looks bad from the pics though.

kris32775
10-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Your right, i hope so too. I would like to think i did my reasearch. 4 stroke dual a-arms,etc at least with the motor your not in circa 1980 sorry 2 stroke guys. I have talked to a guy that I,m not allowed to say but he got shipped one of the first motors from brp to do work on, p and p exhuast , cdi, big bore kits, all the goodies.

gmen
10-19-2007, 05:02 PM
We are real new to the atv mini scene,and we made some good and bad decisions .
My five year old has a ty125,kinda hard fitting him in a class,first it is a shifter,second he is 5.I should have bought him a fitty 2 stroke ,put some money in it and turned him loose.It seems thats what i will eventually do,probably a ,???well i do not want to steal the thread.If Can-Am sends out a dud ,that would be a black eye,and a big one. If it makes you feel better the ty125 has yet to break,but has yet to really hammer it.I really want the Can -Am to do well,i am a big old school Can -Am fan . Wishing you luck ,,Greg

bulldogfallon
10-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by kris32775
Your right, i hope so too. I would like to think i did my reasearch. 4 stroke dual a-arms,etc at least with the motor your not in circa 1980 sorry 2 stroke guys. I have talked to a guy that I,m not allowed to say but he got shipped one of the first motors from brp to do work on, p and p exhuast , cdi, big bore kits, all the goodies.

Seems like this will be a real expensive quad to make competitive...

I could be wrong...I guess time will tell.....

kris32775
10-20-2007, 09:57 AM
My son will race in 90cc-125cc production cvt and if he wants 125 4 stroke. He is nine also about 5 foot. he raced an lt-80 last year and totally drove that bike in the ground, not a good quad for mx.
His competition at the track we race in new jersey is mostly drr,apex,predators. I'm hoping the can-ams suspension makes up for being down on power compared to the 2 stroke guys.We'll wait to see how much motor work we have to do, also allowed to do by the wife. Can't wait to see if i made the right decision. We are planning to do there whole series and some district 6 races,maybe some father son heir scrambles.

mxdad423
10-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Quote:
The DRX300 is not a track bike (wish it was)....It is a little bulky and heavy to be considered for MX(plus it is a cvt tranny)....great trail quad though

I would like to see the new Yamaha in person..Looks nice!!

Just Got Brandon one 2 weeks ago, let me tell you I am very impressed with the new Raptor 250. I have been riding and racing since I was 6 (unfortunatly that was a long time ago LOL) Really sucks to get old, but any way the Power of the new Raptor is unbelievable, I have been on The 250X the 300Ex and even the 400ex and in stock form none of the 3 even compare to the power of the Raptor 250 in stock form. The dealer I bought my son's from put the GYTR pipe and the jet kit on one and took it racing at a local drag track called Smithton Hole they beat everything they went up against even the 400's and I'm not talking about stock 400's either. Not only do they run good but the rest is pretty darn good to, even got decent suspension for stock. Just some info on them for you but better quit I know this is about CAN-AM's don't want to make anybody mad.....

kris32775
10-20-2007, 07:08 PM
what are you talking about this is about ds 90x please don't make me think about the future,the kids grow up fast enough. bye then i,ll have 3 kids racing .

gmen
10-20-2007, 09:02 PM
:confused:

manco47
10-21-2007, 07:25 PM
well my nephew ran a 90X at the AGP in south jersey today. we put him in the stock class 8-10. finshed 4th. the quad is nice but off the floor its a dog. we did a few simple things to help it out. you could feel the engine has the power it just has to be released. the boy liked the wheel base and the shocks seemed to work good. the tires and long travel set up worked nice and smooth on the few jumps they had. it looks like it well take a few bucks to get it up to the national level, but just like a honda or polaris outlaw.:ermm:

ecmini1
10-22-2007, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the honest feedback. Do you have any pics of the quad yet?

kris32775
10-22-2007, 02:14 PM
hey manco i'm in feasterville, How did you get your ds90x so fast.Who did you get it from? Will your son be racing at atco next season.,also can you email me about what you did to the quad.Thanks kris.

manco47
10-23-2007, 03:47 AM
forgot camera sunday. Eventphotonow.com was there taking shots of all the kids. we got the quad sat. afternoon at surf & turf powersports in NJ they are a can-am dealer. and we only do harescrambles no mx.not enough dough to do both. :(

flht_db
10-23-2007, 06:22 PM

flht_db
10-23-2007, 06:24 PM

flht_db
10-23-2007, 06:28 PM

manco47
10-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks flht-db for posting the pictures !!!!

flht_db
10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by manco47

Your welcome, was a good race.

flht_db
10-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by manco47

There are more pictures and a video of Sahara Sands on Quad Builder.

DB

Phugg
11-01-2007, 12:14 PM
This is proving to be hard to get. Nobody out west has any. We are California and are having a hard time. Most every dealer we contact either doesnt know anything about the X package or has only 1 on order. Most that have ordered say they have NO idea when they will be getting them. We did find 1 place that would actually take a deposit , but that wont work with us on the portion of financing we need. One dealer in particular lied outright and said it will NOT be coming to Calif , and will never be .... I cant wait to prove his smug butt wrong.
We want the quad for the suspension only. Our daughter is maybe 50 lbs and its just scary watching her ride anything now. All she does (and the quad) is bounce around.

Also does anyone have a large picture (other than than the Dealer shots) I can use for my backround?

kris32775
11-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Picked my sons up last friday, awsome!!!. we'll worth the wait. The dealers here in pensylavania ,I'm sure would help.The next batch of quads should be in mid nov. from what i'm told there already sold out. just kep trying like i said it's worth the wait. Oh don,t tell my son he doesn,t know yet. HO HO HO. good luck

kris32775
11-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Picked my sons up last friday, awsome!!!. we'll worth the wait. The dealers here in pensylavania ,I'm sure would help.The next batch of quads should be in mid nov. from what i'm told there already sold out. just keep trying like i said it's worth the wait. Oh don,t tell my son he doesn,t know yet. HO HO HO. good luck

Phugg
11-09-2007, 08:46 AM
/bump ... anyone else get one yet ? any good high quality pics beside the factory ones ? We are still waiting for them to show up out west (Calif).

kris32775
11-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Here are some pics not good quility. It's in hiding in my moms garage I'll have her take some good pics today what do you want to see?

bulldogfallon
11-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Any stats on how it runs?

I think it looks great, but I would like to know how much go is behind the show.

Hopefully for you guys out West with the sticker restrictions it will be able to perform without too many mods.

Any performance info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for posting the pics

Phugg
11-10-2007, 11:07 AM
California is the DEVIL of the entire world on restrictions.

Explain this . 50cc Yamaha Motorcycle will get green sticker (legal anytime anywhere)
Yama 50cc Raptor/grizzly Quad , gets the SAME MOTOR yet is red stickered

Same motor in all 3 machines , yet the quads are restricted.

I'm not worried about power on the 90x , she is only 8 and if it does 25-35 that will be MORE than enough. Just so I can get out of 2nd gear will be great when we all ride together. We need it for a: Legality
b: suspension
c : it does look *****en ~wink of proud daddy~

kris32775
11-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Power seems good clutch engages just like an apex or drr they are comming out with a big bore kit, and all the other goodies so they can run with modded hondas. i think it will be competive with other cvt even though it might be down on power for now,the suspension should make up for it. rember all mini's need somthing whether it's tranny work ,swing arms, long travel suspension. As we race it next season we will upgade accordingly . my first thought is motor than shocks. that should be all, depending on other competition.

dodgepower
11-11-2007, 03:59 PM
who is coming out with the big bore kit?

kris32775
11-11-2007, 04:11 PM
I believe it's maxium rpm .com. I was told by my dealer he was one of the first to recieve a moter from brp. i could be wrong but i think that was correct.

cyclridr
11-13-2007, 09:00 AM
My son recently got his DS 90X and we love it! The suspension travel and stiffness is more than he will need, seeing that he is 60 pounds soaking wet. We were very concerned with the lack of top speed of the machine and took it back to the dealer. The dealer agress that it is slow, but has no idea what else to do with it. He tweeked the factory pipe and adjusted the clutches and got maybe 2 mph more out of it. We are waiting on aftermarket pipes and clutches

From 0 to 50 feet this thing FLIES, out running both my 2001 Beartracker 230 and my daughters 08 Cam-Am 250.

Nothing touches it off the line, but after about 50 feet it just stops pulling. My neighbor's new Honda 90 walks right past it after 50 feet. They ran on our practice track and the Can-Am blew the stock Honda away, with it's superior handling and great bottom end power.

It was said above that all mini's need something and motor work is a heck of a lot easier and cheaper than major suspesion mods. I can see him bringing home some 1st place trophies this MX season.

Problems.....
The chain slackened after the first 5 hours and was re-adjusted and slacked again in another 2 hours of riding. Be prepared to upgrade the chain.

The Throttle cable moves around causing it to rev on turns. Just add an extra wire tie on the cable and it will be fine.

If you trail ride on rough surfaces, watch the plastic chain/rotor guard in the rear. He smashed his just going down a hill slowly. We plan of making an aluminum skid plate to replace the plastic guard.

He spun a tire on the wheel and we had to get the beads resealed on the rear tires...No biggie

Praises....
The suspension is outstanding and very adjustable. I am 200 pounds and I can't coil bind the spring or use all the travel. It's race ready (more or less) The thing turns like a dream and can be easily manuvered by even the lightest rider, but still hangs in there with a bigger kid on it.

Like I said, I would rather do motor work, than suspension upgrades. Although he won't see the track until Motorama in Harrisburg PA in February I am condident that it will out handle most anything he sees on the track this summer.

WHAT I NEED is any thoughts on how to make it go faster! If anyone has any info on parts, or tweeks to help it on the upper end, I would love to hear from you!

Kevin Graff
www.photograffics.net

cyclridr
11-13-2007, 02:12 PM
My brother in law and race team owner just got off the phone with maximumrpm.com
Clutches are already available.
Justin told him he is currently working on a pipe, CDI box and other goodies.
He plans on offering a big bore kit, airbox, front and rear swing arms, and shocks
He still doesn't have a machine in his shop, but he does have a motor and is working on what he can for now.

He also said that Can-Am was not supposed to release this machine yet and some got out, mainly in PA. So hang in there West Coast guys, it's coming at some point.

THANKS KRIS!

jjd223
11-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Does this machine have the AEON 4 stroke motor?

kris32775
11-13-2007, 05:01 PM
You guys stink my wife won't let me give his till x mas and it's in hiding an hour away so i can't even go look at it. keep up the research and i'll try to find out more. i just hope we all don't show up at the track next season and have have to race one another. we need to beat the pants off those two stroke guys. don't tell any one my son raced a two stroke last season. ha ha ha

jjd223
11-13-2007, 06:30 PM
I have the 4 stroke Aeon motor in another bike, i have made it a little faster.

TWISTED DINLI
11-13-2007, 06:44 PM
well from the looks of the head pipe it looks like thats why there is no power in it.

maybe some samller tires on the back would help too cause the bigger tires will rob the horsepower.

and if you are getting performance parts from justin hall at maximum rpm they will do very good because he sponsors me and we have mostly all his parts for my DINLI and it runs GREAT!!

kris32775
11-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Nice pic.what kind of bike?What did you do the motor?

TWISTED DINLI
11-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by kris32775
Nice pic.what kind of bike?What did you do the motor?

thanks. Its a DINLI 90....... well with a little bit of motor work:devil:
my dad is the one who built it for me and i am sponsored by Maximum RPM.

the dual a-arms were built by Dave Carter and to our knowledge its the only set of dual a-arms on a 04 DINLI 90 because he had to custom make them.

cyclridr
11-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Well so far we only plan on running at Dutchman MX Park in Pine Grove PA. Although we are thinking about Evansville in Berwick or Sleepy Hollow in Jonestown.

Yes we will be getting everything from Justin. In fact the brother in law told him to start shipping stuff when it's ready. The pipe is the biggest problem (I think) and the CDI is the second hold back. Justin said the stock CDI has the wrong timing advance and rev limiter to make the really motor run.

Nice job on the DINLI !!!

kris32775
11-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I was looking at the trx 90 forum and on the cdi theres a pink wire said to remove the rev or speed limiter if you cut it. haven't checked on it yet but i wunder if it applys to the 90x. oh also make sure the throttle limit screw is out, soundsdumb but you all know we have all done it atleast once. lol. there also might be a washer in the head pipe of the exhaust just like the old lt80's. On the new lt80's 4 stroke there is a washer on the clutch that doesn't let the bike hit top speed, unless you remove it. just another thought .If any one can think of any other factory restrictions post it so we can look into them. some might apply.

cyclridr
11-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks Kris, I know on the KX 65 bike he used to run, they recommended a washer to even out the power for beginners. We never had to do that. I'll look into it and see what happens. Looks like we will have all new stuff in a few weeks though. So maybe I won't even have to bother with it now. I am so glad Maxrpm is finally making stuff for it.

The pipe is only about 1/2" across, no wonder it's down on power in the high end.

The chassis still amazes me. The more he rides the better the thing seems to handle. I can't wait for spring!

brainwashed
11-20-2007, 02:17 AM
How does the Can-Am 90X compare to the DRR DRX 90 on the track?

They are nearly the same price.

bulldogfallon
11-20-2007, 06:25 AM
If I am not mistaken the Can Am is actually more expensive by about $300 to $400 (even if aluminum wheels and "real" nerfs are added to the DRR)

In stock trim, I don't see how the Can Am could compete side by side (not a knock on the Can Am), but 2 stroke vs 4 stroke is not a fair comparison.

Even in the big bikes the 4 strokes run against the 2 strokes with 1/2 the cc's.

With that being said I haven't seen a Can Am at the track, so my post is all hypothetical(but based on previous 2 stroke vs 4 stroke races)

The DRX90 is also water cooled which is nice to have on a race modded 90.

The bigger rear tires on that Can Am 90 must be hard to pull around as well.

I do like the black aluminum wheels though....I would have to see how much of the Can Am's suspension specs are reality since they seem to be impressive numbers

The Can Am also has reverse so that is nice for trail riding

I am anxious to see them side by side myself

In the future, I am sure there will be more focus on 4 stroke CVT classes, so racing will either become slower or much more expensive!!

I think I know which one it will be :)

cyclridr
11-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I agree with you on the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke. It is one of the huge question marks for the upcomming season. I honestly think there should be sort way to split classes a little bit better. At Dutcman MX the class my son will run is up to 90 2 stroke or up to 125 4 stroke... So we are entering at a disadvantage. We see a lot of DRR's in that class and they do well. They don't dominate every week, but they usually take a few of the top five spots.
The only thing I can be certain of about the Can Am is the advertised suspension travel is TRUE. I have watched my boy practice on some serious jumps and hills and the machine has not even been pushed near the suspension limits.

I did notice that the muffler has what looks like a catalytic converter type honeycomb inside, which has to kill the power completely. This thing glows red as soon as the machine is worked hard.

The new pipe from Maximumrpm will fix that. We hope to have that in a few weeks.

QuadJunkies
11-21-2007, 12:59 AM
We have been curious about the DS, so my Husband took my son to sit on one ata local shop...Didnt like a few things, suspention seemed to be one of the biggest dissappointments from observation.They thought the DRR stock shocks looked like they might perform better.The other would be the location of the reverse(near my boys hamstring).There was a few things we did like though and its def. SAWEET lookin,but Im curious how well it handles for the more aggressive youth rider? All I can see is my Son getting hurt on the suspention the way its sitting in stock form .
We would love to hear more. :)

brainwashed
11-21-2007, 01:16 AM
We went and looked at it tonight and came to the same conclusion. I thnk an aggressive rider will hurt themselves. The suspension seemed undersprung and the shifter looked like it would get in the way.

Pretty disappointed. :(

The quad looks GREAT though. Awesome plastics.

QuadJunkies
11-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by brainwashed
. The suspension seemed undersprung and the shifter looked like it would get in the way.

Thats what my Son said too.
thats too bad ,cause my Son thought it was very trick lookin!

Andyman17dad
11-21-2007, 07:52 AM
We just got to see one for the first time last night. They had it all roped off and wouldn't let anyone sit on it, but we were able to at least see it in person.
i didn't think about the shifter then, but now that someone mentioned it, I can definatly see how it could be a big problem.
The suspension seemed to need more rebound and the shocks look pretty thin.
The frame looked pretty good and all the welds are at least complete.
I would be REALLY interested in seeing it in action. Of course the salesman there was talking it all up as to how much faster it is than the Suzuki that they also sell. (He had never seen or heard of DRR or Apex, so maybe it does look good to what he has seen!)
Awesome looking bike and probably the best thing to come out so far from the "big name" companies, but I can't see it being better than the DRR yet.
There is also a neat little compartment built into the hood!
I tried hounding the one salesman and then the parts manager (that I have known for a while) to let us "try it out", but they weren't biting!

brainwashed
11-21-2007, 10:06 AM
I whink with new shocks and removing or changing the shifter arm, it would be a great little sport quad. It's a bold step for Can-Am and I hope the bike sells well.

It was funny at the dealership, though... I mentioned that the suspension was a little saggy and soft and didn't feel able to keep up with a fast pace and the salesman said that brand is what all the snowmobile go-fast guys upgrade too. It's not KYB, it was a brang that started with a 'K' and had 'Eagle' stampde ont he side. I wanted to say 'It's not what the Can-Am race team went to." ;)

cyclridr
11-21-2007, 11:38 AM
WOW that salesman is really trying to sell that bike.
I haven't seen the Suzuki run, but the Can-am definately is far from fast! I still love the bike, but it's a dog out of the box. My neighbors TRX90 Honda will blow the doors off my kid's Can Am after the first 40 or 50 ft. I think once we get the pipe and clutches it will be good then.
I HATE WINTER!

kris32775
11-23-2007, 02:25 PM
I believe the shifter can easily be removed and cut down and be re threaded It also was the first thing that i saw as well. Heck get rid of it all together.

kris32775
11-23-2007, 02:25 PM
I believe the shifter can easily be removed and cut down and be re threaded It also was the first thing that i saw as well. Heck get rid of it all together.

Hetrick Racing
11-24-2007, 07:51 AM
I have had the Can am for some time now.
We have the pipes done they will be available soon we have the engine making 10.5 Just bored and cam with some porting and over 13 with a complete head big valves and stroker, with no problem.
The only thing I can say is it is very high in cost.
Justin is trying to get some parts made to get the price down
We will let you know

Phugg
11-29-2007, 09:50 AM
OK called "the dealer". Quads are in the warehouse , should be delivered to dealers today (Thursday). We shopped around to about 4-8 dealers in a 100 mile radius. A couple where Jerks plain and simple. " That thing is gonna be crap and wont be registerable in Calif" from a couple. Others where just ho-hum. We found 1 I really liked and it is right next to building I worked out of for 8 years. The guy actually gave a crap and said he wanted to play on it before we take it. He promissed that it was OURS (since we bugged him weekly). It will be another 3 months till they recieve anymore. Most dealers out west are getting 1 DS90X , then when Can Am sees the demand , they will ship multiple units.
We are very much looking forward to this. We told our daughter that we should have it Friday , and she wants to ride it NOW. Here goes $4k for the kids Mas present. As we see it though , it should last her at least 4-6 years , so its money well spent. We dont plan on modifiing much. Just cutting the shifter down so it doesnt bash her little knees. She is 8 years old and a whopping 43lbs. Has been riding for 4 years now on 50 2 srtokes and can handle a quad well. We dont plan on racing (just too damn far to go out west) The weekly rides up in the hills (mountains to you central people) will be a blast. She will actually be able to keep up better since she wont be bouncing the whole quad over tiny rocks. The speed I think will be good too. I have noticed that my 13yr old son is a much better rider with a little speed added. He would get bored having to wait on her in the lil 50 to catch up , so he would goof off. Enough ranting and blabbing on my part.

Hetrick Racing
11-29-2007, 11:05 AM
The guy is going to ride it before he gives it up ? Your gonna pay Retail ?
If you would like I can have one shipped to your door, brand new ,note, I am not a Can -Am dealer but I have a little pull and I can make this happen for you.

I will say the dealer should not send it out as a new unit after adults "play " on it. Then charge you retail.

Phugg
11-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Nah , he said he "wants" to play , but wont. We have to finance part of it it and this dealer takes the propper service. I was around the dealer for more than 5 years , seen and heard all about them and they are good stand up people. Not the jerk-offs that just sell and run. They used to leave notes on my old Jeep all the time too , saying they could "pimp" it for me ~lol~ It was already a street legal crawler and they loved it.

I wish Calif had some more options on the one's y'all get .. DRR Apex etc . From what I have been reading on here lately , I like em a lot , but "Welcome To Calif , we are here to *&^% you"

jjd223
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Is this the same motor as the Polaris Outlaw 90?

Hetrick Racing
11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
very close to the same
similar to the apex -drx ///same but different

jjd223
11-29-2007, 12:46 PM
How close but different would the pipe that you are making for the can am be on the Outlaw?

Jaybird
11-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Any dealers in the Southeast have one?
My sister is looking for one for my nephew and the dealer in Pensacola is telling her that they aren't out yet and the dealer in Century is looking for one for her from another dealer they can swap with.
Brian

Hetrick Racing
11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Go to Can-am web site dealer locator Lumberton, New Jersey
Surf & Turf powersports
give them a call
Tell them Rich Hetrick told you to call

kris32775
11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
If anyone is looking for one in PA give Hollingers sport and turf a call they are super nice and they will be totally honest with you. ask for roger. 1717-859-2710. thats were i bought my sons.oh there in ephrata, just outside lancaster.

Hetrick Racing
11-30-2007, 03:00 PM
The Outlaw pipe is on its way back to us already,we will have them soon,(very close by the way)

jjd223
11-30-2007, 04:46 PM
i will check in with Chris as to when it will be available.

Thanks

Phugg
12-01-2007, 07:28 AM
OK we picked this up yesterday. Damn nice I must say. Got looks everywhere I was (got it about 60 miles away). The front suspension is a Bolt on kit. Rear axle is SOLID , No spacers , an actual longer shaft which is nice. I'm not much on motor work , but its going to great for our lil 43lbs girl. With me at 193 (cough) it went ok ... not 2 stroke quick , but ok. I am wondering if there is a "choke point" put in the exhaust somewhere. If anyone knows I would sure like to know as well. CVT is a little slow to react right off , but thats ok for now.
If I figure out how to work our new Digi Cam I'll take a buttload of photos today (after helping my parents set up their X-Mas lights).

Phugg
12-02-2007, 07:31 PM
OK we took it out for a "shake down" with our whopping 43lb 8yr old girl. Only 1 prob , Brake handles too big for her little hands. She will grow into it well in the next year. Her confidence was off the chart , even doing donuts. ..

FISH ON!
12-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Just picked up a 90X in time for Xmas. Had it on order since August. It's a sharp factory machine.....with an awsome stance. Appears the travel is as advertised. With me on it (~165lbs) the CVT didn't have much snap to it. It's definitely going to need a clutch kit. Does anyone know if there is one out there....... I assume the DS90 is the same. Also, Big Gun has a pipe for the DS90, does anyone know if it'll fit the 90X? Overall the machine is awsome but it's hard to judge the power when you own a yfz450! A pipe, rev box, filter, clutch kit and carb would be nice. Let's here what's out there.

Oh, I didn't get much time to play on it since it has to go under the tree and I had to hide it before school let out.

kris32775
12-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Check out some older posts maxium rpm and heitrick will be supplying some of the goodies. they both should have them avaible soon. good luck

Steven623
12-06-2007, 07:29 PM
They are a very neat looking mini quad. I saw one the other day at a dealership near Allentown, PA. If anyone needs to see one etc... , pm message me for exact location.

kris32775
12-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Got my sons home from my folks house. started to look at it more carefully. they did a pretty good job from the start. as for as the motor we all know. but what about shocks are there any shocks out there that would work,elkas or some fox floats would be nice. there is also a little weight savings that can be done. removing of the electric start would shave a few pounds maybe a little bit smaller rear tire would be good. +1 inch or so swing arm as well. race season starts in march i would like to go out in full force if at all possible. let me know if anyone as any ideas. also foot break conversion thats what my son is used to.thanks kris

Hetrick Racing
12-10-2007, 06:35 AM
We did the set up for ELKA,pipes will be here soon.
Im sure someone will make a swing arm if you want it.I would bet one will bolt on thats already made
Eton,Polaris style

Rcarroll
12-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Saw one at a dealer near Budds Creek MD let me know and I will get a phone #

Andyman17dad
12-12-2007, 05:34 AM
there is a dealer up near me that has at least one. Near Albany,NY (p.m. for more info)

Jaybird
12-18-2007, 06:30 PM
My nephew got his today. Very nice bike!! Looks great but the motor is a turd in stock form. Shifter is in the way also but it looks like a easy fix. Seems like a pipe and some clutch work will speed it up a good bit. I'm gonna try to talk my sister into letting me mod it out. Springs are a little stiff also for him, he weighs about 65 lbs. My 8 year old (who normally rides a Typhoon 125) says it felt good but needed more motor.
Brian

Dale@AGP
12-19-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm sitting here looking at the motor in a new DS90X and I was wondering who's top end and crank is that motor?

From what I can tell there should be a lot of aftermarket pit bike engine parts and big bore kits readily available.

Anyone know who's motor it's modeled after?

tmfracing
12-20-2007, 06:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone know's of a restrictor in the exhaust system somewhere? If, so where is it? Also, I hear their maybe a restrictor of some sort in the tranny as well. Has anyone made any mods to their DS90x yet if so what are they and what type of performance results are you getting?

Thanks,

jetski_dawg
12-22-2007, 12:51 PM
got to see one up close yesterday at the dealer.. i think it would be an excellent trail quad and the plastic and seat are quality made and the nerf bars and guards are the best...but... the a-arms look like an after thought, the engine is wayyy underpowered, and all for the price of $3500..i think the APEX and DRR has this beat for alot less $$..im glad to see that the majors see that there is a demand for the mini quads..but the price is too much

forgiven
12-22-2007, 01:10 PM
I hope the big guys stay asleep at the wheel for a few more years.

FISH ON!
12-22-2007, 04:17 PM
I bought one for my son and he'll see it in a few days. I thought the price was high also until you compare what you get to the original DS90 ($2499). When you add up all the little nice touches the X-Team model has on it, the $3200 I paid (Tax included) wasn't such a bad deal. The after market parts like nerf bars, a-arms, etc add up fast. I can't see the motor ever being as fast as the same displacement two stroke (not a fair comparison) but a few more bucks for the normal 4-stroke mods and it should run pretty good. I bought it for trail riding. Your stuck spending $4K to 6K or more for a competitive racer anyway.

tmfracing
12-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Roger That! I bought my 6yr old son one for trail riding and also for Glamis. I am sure that a 2-stroke APEX or DRR would have alot more performance. Where we ride, 2-strokes are being frowned on. Plus, I did not want something that requires alot of maintenance. I prefer 4-Stroke engines for reliability purposes as well. I am happy with the stock performance for now. Hopefully Maximum RPM will be releasing their Full Exhaust, CDI-Box, Air Filter Kit and Jetting soon.

Maybe I would have considered APEX or DRR if they would have had a 4-stroke model.

Merry X-Mas To All.

kris32775
12-25-2007, 09:27 AM
He riding now on our practice track now he loves it. hope to dig into it this week,check for restrictions. def need motor.

FISH ON!
12-25-2007, 04:22 PM
How cool is this present under the X-Mas ?

forgiven
12-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Man...If I were a kid I would be so happy, then forget all about it in 10 minutes when my brother tried to sit on it, and I knocked him off it.

Great job on bringing it in the house. That is above and beyond normal Santa stuff. Santa gets pretty lazy over this way, he claims he doesn't want to scratch up the doorways etc etc...must have hit your house first.

tmfracing
12-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Well, my son has rode it two times so far and he loves it. He has'nt really been able to open it up yet since he's still breaking it in. I got on it to test it out and with the thumb throttle restrictor all the way out I was power sliding it with no problem. It actually was pulling the front wheels off the ground out of the slide.

Considering that I am 5-10 and weigh 193 lbs. I was happy with the performance.

It should be plenty of power for my boy he is 48inches tall and weighs 52lbs.

One question for everyone. Will it harm the motor if I remove the spark arrestor without an exhaust or re-jetting it? The sound is sweeeeeeet with it out.

forgiven
12-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Just keep an eye on your plug.

kris32775
12-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Grey wire on cdi? anyone try it with it unplugged let me know thanks kris

Dale@AGP
12-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey All,

I asked this before, but didn't get any response... so I'm going to try again.

Does anyone know who's pit bike cylinder and top end fit's this new Can-Am engine?

Thanks

kris32775
01-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Hey try calling maxium rpm.com he had one of the first motors sent to him he will be able to tell you.