PDA

View Full Version : edel brock carb??

honda400ex01aca
08-06-2007, 09:31 PM
ok well i have a 01 400ex bored to a 500 and i have a fmf exhuast on it do u think the edel brock carb would be the next best thing to buy for it? if not what is the best thing?

08-06-2007, 09:33 PM
wait you have a 400ex bored to a 500cc and use the stock carb? Also how reliable is it? Has to be scary fast.

honda300EXtreme
08-06-2007, 09:35 PM
yeai hear them 500's have some torque..

ya i would definatly upgrade the carb....

a cheaper solution would be a 450r carb...

honda300EXtreme
08-06-2007, 09:36 PM
i dont know if you already have one but if not i would definatly consider getting a cam...

honda400ex01aca
08-06-2007, 09:37 PM
well its got alot of power in it, and it hauls *** and i do run stock carb in it for now, its awsome on the mx tracks cuz it has so much power in the corners and straight aways

08-06-2007, 09:38 PM
A 500cc 400ex would deffinately intimidate me. It probally sounds like a beast I wanna seewhat this thing looks like

honda400ex01aca
08-06-2007, 09:41 PM
it looks stock cuz i have nuthin done to it except for the 500 bore and fmf pipe and some hole shots thats it. i will post pictures when i take some.

08-06-2007, 09:43 PM
It just amazes me that you can bore something out 503cc than stock!

honda400ex01aca
08-06-2007, 09:47 PM
ya it amazed me too i gave it to the honda shop and told them to put the biggest bore in it and i thought it would come out as like a 426cc or 440 but it came out as a 500 and i was really amazed

08-06-2007, 09:49 PM
how reliable is it though? wont things start cracking?

honda400ex01aca
08-06-2007, 09:54 PM
not too sure yet because i have only had the 500 kit in for about 3 weeks now, and have gone on about 14 rides, and nuthin seems to be wrong yet. but i will kept you posted on it if any thing breaks in it.

400exrapes
08-06-2007, 10:11 PM
yeah i would definatley get a new carb a 450r carb is alot cheaper and i heard helps alot, probably port if you can and cams as well you needlike stage 3 i bet but stage 2 would/might work as well but stage 3 i bet and a full exhaust system if you dont already have one then show me a picture!:D

REDRIDDER
08-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex01aca
ok well i have a 01 400ex bored to a 500 and i have a fmf exhuast on it do u think the edel brock carb would be the next best thing to buy for it? if not what is the best thing? I run one on my 426 love it if i were you id buy the Edelbrock carb for the 440 and buy some extra needles with it.The performance gain when the proper needle is installed it will impress you, carb is great from down low all the way to the top and is very easy to adjust the air/fuel mixture their is no jets to monkey around with and the changing of needles is a snap,only real down fall is the throttle pull is a little tiring when your really pounding the trails but me personally i can live with it the preformance gains were to great.Also ther is a huge selection of needles you can buy.The biggest thing is with out jets and using the needles you have 32 different settings you can go before ever making a needle change 16 rich and 16 lean to me that's great it will allow you to relay dial your engine in to perfection.honda400ex01aca if you would like you can pm me for more details and things like that hoped to have helped you in the search for a carburetor lol....good luck with your decision you cant beat the adjustability of this Edelbrock carb.Oh and yeah if you do buy one Edelbrock tech line is the best in customer service for getting your carb to preform to its peak, by this i mean if you call their tech line with questions they will have the answers right then and their and they are not afarid to stay on the phone line untill the carb is running spot on great customer service #1.

HB-Roost
08-07-2007, 10:42 AM
FCR>450r (older-04/05 carb)>EDELBROCK>Stock carb.

For the price, you can't beat the 450r carb. It is better than the Edelbrock (by far) when compared in performance. I found the 450r carb to be just as easy to tune as the Edelbrock, but with much more snap to it everywhere. It is also easier to ride with since it has a shorter throw on the thumb throttle.

IMO the FCR is superior to all simply by design, but at the same time is pricey. I doubt that you would see much difference between the FCR and 450r carb on a "butt dyno," but I would be willing to bet that it is making a slight bit more power than with the 450r carb.

As for what you will have to do for each to work...the 450r carb would need the most "work", with the Edelbrock needing a bit also to work properly. If you search, you can probably find the information that you need on what exactly you have to do to make the carbs work properly.

For the next best thing to buy for it, I would say that a cam is a must. Hotcams seem to be the choice for price and performance. I would look at the Stage II or III Hotcam. Cam, carb, revbox, and porting are some things to look at. I would do it in that order myself. Keep in mind if you decide to get porting later on down the road (which I definately recommend), that all porting is not equal. Do your research and and find someone that does good work for a price that you can afford-I would recommend C&D Racing.

H_W
08-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by HB-Roost
FCR>450r>EDELBROCK>Stock carb.

For the price, you can't beat the 450r carb. It is better than the Edelbrock (by far) when compared in performance. I found the 450r carb to be just as easy to tune as the Edelbrock, but with much more snap to it everywhere. It is also easier to ride with since it has a shorter throw on the thumb throttle.

IMO the FCR is superior to all simply by design, but at the same time is pricey. I doubt that you would see much difference between the FCR and 450r carb on a "butt dyno," but I would be willing to bet that it is making a slight bit more power than with the 450r carb.

I agree with you about the FCR being superior to all. Honda switched to the FCR carb on the 450r for the 06 year model, I believe. That should tell you witch one is better. When you say you have a 450r carb, what year model did it come from? Like I said the 06 and up 450r's have 40mm FCR carbs.