PDA

View Full Version : Should I take it in?

Cargo
08-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey guys, I have some questions about a 2002 400ex. My dad purchased this quad new for me in 2002 and it is still mint condition, the tires still have the factory chalk marks on them I use it so little. I mabey put 10 Hours on it a year, MABEY. I'm curious on the maintenance aspect of my quad to keep it in top preformance.

I know I have probably neglected it somewhat as it has never been into a dealer for a servier or let alone an oil change. It is stored in an unheated shed in the winter with the gas still in it. In the spring it starts fine and runs fine but I am just a bit worried that this may have caused some problems to it that I may not be aware of. Should I take it into a dealer for a service and inspection, or should I just go about with the minimal stuff I do like clean and oil the air filter and oil the chain? I'm kind of leaning towards taking it to a dealer for a "check up" but they also want like $300 bucks and my dads cheap. It there anything at home I can do to inspect it and how hard would it be? I do paintball and can totally disassemble my markers and assemble them no problem but looking at my quad I dont know where to start and just the scale of it seems kinda complicated.

Any advice guys?

Heres some pics:

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2453/sspx0115fr9.jpg

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/3981/sspx0114dp5.jpg

quadman 05400ex
08-06-2007, 05:59 PM
well if its real old gas i would drain it and then just clean the carb and then do the regulr stuff like change the pulg oil stuff like that

08-06-2007, 05:59 PM
do an oil change and adjust your valves regularly to keep it running like a top

CarGuy7a
08-06-2007, 07:24 PM
if storing it for long periods of time just drain the gas tank.

other than that like said before keep the oil changed and valves adjusted.

xc_racer1
08-06-2007, 10:45 PM
if its damp where u store it make sure u have some kinda lube on the chain or else it will rust. other than that like they all said change oil and stuff. and id go out and start it everyonce in awhile in the winter.

Cargo
08-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I convinced my dad to take it in sometime this week and have a nice service.

chris46250r
08-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Cargo
Yeah, I convinced my dad to take it in sometime this week and have a nice service.

Why dont you pay for this? You say your dads "cheap" but if he is so cheap how did you end up in this situation in the first place?

EX LONERIDER
08-07-2007, 05:46 AM
if you are going to store it... use some fuel stabilizer in your fuel and run it in the carb.... dont drain it if you are going to store it for long... your seals will dry up and will cause leaking issues later down the line. the fuel stabilizer will keep the fuel from gumming up while you dont use it.

when you bring it back out, drain the fuel out of the carb and put some fresh fuel in it. thats should be enough to prevent carb problems.

when you get it to the dealer, just tell em it needs a full service and they'll take care of it.

rwc0920
08-07-2007, 07:36 AM
since the tanks are plastic i am not sure if this applys. In a car tank if its being stored your supposed to top off the tank so that moister can not build up in the tank.

i would also second runing a bottle of stabil in it before putting it away to keep your gas fresh enough to store.

i would also NOT fire it in the winter if you dont plan on taking it for a ride. firing it and reving it a few times will put moisture in your exhaust pipe leading to rust if it sits long enough. dont fire it unless you plan on taking it out and getting it hot.

as for maintence, 10 hrs isnt that much. just change the oil and filter yourself, check your valves, and give it a once over. i wouldnt bring it to the dealer if your mechanically able to do the things listed.

QuadManiac
08-14-2007, 04:38 AM
If you're going to fire it up in winter, but can't ride it, let it idle for at least 20 minutes to get everything good and warm. And no matter how little you rode it, change the oil at LEAST once a year, lol.

blasterandy
08-14-2007, 05:30 AM
and dont forget the filter... oil and filter change (if you change on change the other)

400exrapes
08-14-2007, 09:27 PM
well im not sure you got the answer you were looking for. to dran the oil you take the screw off underneath your oil tank. then you unscrew the two bolts on the side of your engine where the oil filter is it will be on the right side of the engine if your riding the quad and then you have to drain the oil out of the engine which is a screw underneath your shifter

Cargo
08-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Well $300 bucks later and its as good as new. Im off to go camping tommoro so I'll see how she runs. However I think im going to get a nice little ATV stand/jack and just do it myself.

There was a minor valve adjustment the tech said.