PDA

View Full Version : Right on Yahoo's main page.....

sly400ex
08-06-2007, 05:25 PM
An article about how unsafe ATV's are..... :scary:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20070806/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_atv_study

And also an article about x games......:blah:

Ruby Soho
08-06-2007, 05:34 PM
of course your gonna be able to get a better chance of an injury on a quad.. bicycles IMO aren't very comparable..

firefighterjosh
08-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Comparing Bicycles to Atvs is kinda like comparing a fight between a midget and a Grizzly bear.

I hate to see things like this, but atleast they stated its the paretns fault not the ATVs

trx400EXtreme
08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
of course your gonna be able to get a better chance of an injury on a quad.. bicycles IMO aren't very comparable..

yea what they said is really obvious considering some quads are capable of highway speeds.:ermm: :huh :tired: :bandit:

Ghost-Rider
08-06-2007, 07:20 PM
That is B.S.

Lets compare dirt bikes to video games.

ZeroLogic
08-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Okay.

Dirt bikes require hand and eye coordination.:cool:

allstock
08-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Okay.

Dirt bikes require hand and eye coordination.:cool:

dirt bikes bring in money for big companies so the could care less how many kids get killed on them...

cr977
08-06-2007, 07:56 PM
lets see the fu**ing statistics of how many kids die in drug related activites versus atv accidents. lets see the statistics of how many kids die each year because of obesity, lets talk about how many kids die each year because of health problems caused by kids who sit on *** there *** and play video games versus going out and riding there fu**ing quad, statistics like that piss me off

ZeroLogic
08-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Not true.

GPracer2500
08-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I bet lots of kids die from swimming too. How about car accidents? Wonder if any kids die because of those?

I'm going to start an organization that promotes bans or heavy regulation for anything that is potentially dangerous. We must save the children.

Ghost-Rider
08-06-2007, 08:12 PM
What i was getting at was why is it always an ATV ? what about dirt bikes and other things, you think kids don't die on those as well?

firefighterjosh
08-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
What i was getting at was why is it always an ATV ? what about dirt bikes and other things, you think kids don't die on those as well?

Bike deaths (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dirt+bike+deaths)

atv deaths (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=atv+deaths)

There are lots of both subject. I think its the whoel offroad thing.

#1 Child deaths per the washington post.

"Traffic injuries are the leading cause of death in people ages 10 to 24 around the world -- a huge, overlooked and largely preventable public health problem, the World Health Organization said yesterday."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/19/AR2007041902409_pf.html

JOEX
08-06-2007, 08:18 PM
The #1 cause of death is life.

cr977
08-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider

as a whole atvs are more dangerous than dirt bikes, and 4 times more atvs are sold than dirt bikes, of course more kids are going to die on them, plus, a 250 dirt bike is not something a 9 year old can jump on and ride because dirt bikes are to tall for younger kids to ride, any kid who can reach the throttle can have there dad pop a yfz 450 into gear and let there 9 year old ride it, that my freind is why there is more atv accidents

ZeroLogic
08-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I bet lots of kids die from swimming too. How about car accidents? Wonder if any kids die because of those?

I'm going to start an organization that promotes bans or heavy regulation for anything that is potentially dangerous. We must save the children.

Don't save us! Save our kids!

:huh

ronny
08-06-2007, 09:30 PM
I was just watching some like news type show and it starts off about how unsafe atv's are, as the gets into it some lady goes now would you really want your 10 year old 60 pound child riding a 550 pound atv that goes up to 75mph... i just think ppl think to bad of quads and even if they have never ridden one.

ronny
08-06-2007, 09:31 PM
but who would really have a kid on something like that

Pappy
08-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by allstock
dirt bikes bring in money for big companies so the could care less how many kids get killed on them...

could you elaborate? i read it twice and still cant figure out what your trying to say.

hot dogs, #1 food children choke on...ditch them

5 gallon buckets cause many toddler deaths by drowning...gotta go

#1 killer of children under 16 on atvs? the stupid parents who allow them to operate them!(i.e. a 11 year old on a yfz or a 12 year old on a 700 cc ute)

BlasterEaten250
08-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by ronny
but who would really have a kid on something like that You would be surprised...:ermm:

Ghost-Rider
08-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by ronny
but who would really have a kid on something like that

I started out on a Rancher 350 at that time it was always 4X4, i was just along for the ride....But, i manged to control it and so here i am today.

Which 450?
08-07-2007, 04:38 AM
ROFL it was only 14 people more? haha who dies riding a bicycle? a damn 4 wheeler has an engine!

54warrior
08-07-2007, 05:47 AM
Three kinds of lies:

Lies, Damn lies and statistics!!!

I think that its mostly the parents fault.

Ages are not a good thing to base ability off of. I had a Warrior when I was 14. Why? because I was 6'2" 180# at the time!!! Like I would have fit on a 90cc machine, LOL!!

It's so much easier for anyone to just jump on an ATV and feel like they know what they are doing-much different feeling on a bike.

Don't forget all the jag-offs that don't wear helmets either- children/kids included.

Outlaw 50
08-07-2007, 05:56 AM
The ATV story was written by someone at the AP. ( associated press ) Who I might add is TOO much of a COWARD to even post their name.

The AP is a very liberal source for news.

Liberals are the people who support the environmentalist movement.

The environmentalist movement doesn't want you to be able to ride your ATV.

This story is just one little piece of the puzzle that they are assembling to STOP you from riding your ATV.

The environmentalists are not about saving the plants and animals, they are about controlling what other people do.

This is the key to the entire story, these people HAVE an agenda..."The study was commissioned by the Concerned Families for ATV Safety, an organization founded in 2005 by parents who lost children in ATV accidents." Here is their website: http://www.atvsafetynet.org/ where they espouse their propaganda..

They failed to properly supervise their OWN children and want the government to do it for them. They are also in denial about who's fault it is that their children died on ATVs. Liberals NEVER take responsibility for their own actions.

Yahoo doesn't put ANY news stories on their news pages that are not based in LIBERALISM!

From all the banter I am reading on this thread it seems that a lot of quad and dirt bike riders on this site are not aware of who the enemy of this sport is.

WAKE UP PEOPLE, these liberals are just like rust.........they never sleep and will keep working relentlessly to gain control of YOUR lives.

cop292
08-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Many times it is the irresponsible parents that let a 11 or 12 year old have a 450,700,250R,etc. because they saw it in a magazine, or on the internet. My favorite is when the parent has to out do the kid down the street. Little Johnny down the street has a 300, so Little Tommy's dad buys him a 450. Believe me it happens. I watched a 14 year old WHO HAD NO ATV EXPERIENCE total a brand new YFZ on the very first day, within the 1st 2 hours. His parents bought it for him as a birthday gift so he could go on a riding trip with his cousin. This is not rocket science, if the quad weighs 500 pounds and your child weighs 60, that is not good. In my opinion the manufacturers are doing everything that they can. They don't make 3 wheelers, they send in mystery shoppers to dealers to see if they are selling oversize quads to be ridden by kids, they put warning labels on the warning labels. Also what the study fails to mention is that some of the deaths are from being a passenger, with adults or other kids driving the atv. In my opinion, it all comes down to responsibility. If you ride or if you allow your a child to ride an ATV that is beyond the abilities of the rider there is a higher risk of injury or death.

Just my.02

Outlaw 50
08-07-2007, 06:19 AM
Here are the idiots who started the "Concerned Families for ATV Safety" website. Notice anything similar about them?

Carolyn Anderson

Carolyn Anderson from Brockton, MA is co-founder of Concerned Families for ATV Safety. On August 8th, 2004 the Anderson family received a phone call that would ruin their lives. Their 14 year old, beautiful son James had been killed when the ATV he was driving crashed into a tree. At the time James was vacationing with a friend’s family in Errol, NH. The ATV he was driving was a 500cc ATV that could travel highway speeds. He had never ridden anything but a bicycle before that day. We are broken hearted.

The story is:.. James and seven of his teammates went to a friend's lakeside vacation home where they planned to swim, go boating and goof off.

During the visit, James' hosts offered their all-terrain vehicles for the boys to ride. James hopped aboard a 700-pound ATV with a powerful 500 cc engine and sped off through the woods. The next time his friends saw him, he was unconscious and dying. He had crashed into a tree on a backwoods trail. It was the first and last time he rode an ATV.

Carol Keezer

Carol Keezer of Defiance, Ohio is co-founder of Concerned Families for ATV Safety. Carol has a personal interest in warning others about the dangers of children and ATV's. No matter how experienced the rider, they are still small children on a machine that is too fast and too big for them to handle. Children and ATV's are a bad mix. On May 17, 2003, Carol's precious son, Alex, age 12, was killed while riding an ATV. As a mother, you never "get over" the death of your child. You live with the grief everyday.

Here's what happened:..Carol Keezer's son, Alex Ellert, 12, was killed in 2003 when the adult-size ATV he was riding overturned. Trying to negotiate a curve on hilly terrain, the boy slammed his powerful, 400cc machine into a fence.

Sue Rabe

Sue Rabe of Turner, Oregon is co-founder of Concerned Families for ATV Safety. On Monday, May 6th, 2002 ten year old Kyle Rabe rode the family ATV across the neighbor’s field to have an after school snack with his friend. On his way home the ATV he was riding hit a rut and tipped over on him suffocating him to death. Even though Kyle was a skilled rider and in full gear, he didn't have a chance. The 250cc adult size ATV weighed 500 pounds and Kyle just barely 80 pounds. Sue has been active in ATV safety issues since the tragic death of her son.

Here's the real story:..Kyle and his friend Zach Rouse were riding ATVs that day. Kyle's ATV was not a youth model, but he rode as well as any adult, said his father, Tom Rabe. Traveling down a grassy slope, Kyle's machine overturned, pinning him to the ground. Though he wore a helmet and protective gear, he couldn't breathe under the ATV's weight.

Garth Rouse, alerted by his son, estimated he arrived at the scene 10 or 15 minutes after the accident. "By the time I got there, Kyle was gone, no breathing, no nothing," he said. "It's your worst fear that could ever happen."

If you go to their website you can send them an email and maybe explain what they as PARENTS should have been doing to keep their children safe.

BE CIVILIZED with your emails, we will all be judged by our comments and these people do have an open to the media.

http://www.atvsafetynet.org/

Eviltanker
08-07-2007, 07:46 AM
My feelings and also what I wrote to them.

As Parents we have noone to blame for these deaths but, ourselves. It is our responsibility to ensure the children are properly trained and riding equipment that is intended for their age and ability. How can we teach our children to be responsible if we are not willing to do it.

chris46250r
08-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Eviltanker

As Parents we have noone to blame for these deaths but, ourselves. It is our responsibility to ensure the children are properly trained and riding equipment that is intended for their age and ability. How can we teach our children to be responsible if we are not willing to do it.

Exactly!! Kids will be kids. All of the 10,11,12 year olds that I know cant afford a new bicycle let alone a 400ex or 250r or whatever it is that is to big for them, so whoever bought it for them and didnt worry about teaching them how to ride it is the one to blame. If you bring home your kid a top fuel dragster and tell them to "hop in and take off", they will!

KXRida
08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by allstock

Not everyone can ride a bike though. Most of the quad accidents are young kids on quads that are way too big for them. You have to be physically tall enough to hold the bike up and strong enough to kick it over. With a quad, anyone can ride them. Just the other day I taught my sister how to ride my buddies LTR. If she could learn it in 30 minutes, anyone could. I've seen so many kids (well under 16 years of age) and quads that are just not for them. I.E, I went riding with some buddies the other day and we stubble across this group of kids riding around. The smallest quad was a 400ex and the highest age kid was 15. They other quads consisted of banshee's, raptors, and yfz's. I agree, it's not the quads' fault, it's the parents for letting them ride quads that size. That's why quads get criticized so much for being dangerous. Plus half of the people (atleast in rural pa) are half rednecks that don't even wear helmets. If younger riders would ride the quads that were meant for them, I don't think there would be such a big deal about quads. Yes, I know we were all kids at one point in time and we all wanted to have the biggest quad out there, but it's just stupid putting a 13 year old kid on a 450r or a banshee.

Outlaw 50
08-07-2007, 12:42 PM
KXrida said"Plus half of the people (atleast in rural pa) are half rednecks that don't even wear helmets."

Hey man, don't be talkin' trash about us rednacks brotha! lol

07250ex
08-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Not everyone can ride a bike though. Most of the quad accidents are young kids on quads that are way too big for them. You have to be physically tall enough to hold the bike up and strong enough to kick it over. With a quad, anyone can ride them. Just the other day I taught my sister how to ride my buddies LTR. If she could learn it in 30 minutes, anyone could. I've seen so many kids (well under 16 years of age) and quads that are just not for them. I.E, I went riding with some buddies the other day and we stubble across this group of kids riding around. The smallest quad was a 400ex and the highest age kid was 15. They other quads consisted of banshee's, raptors, and yfz's. I agree, it's not the quads' fault, it's the parents for letting them ride quads that size. That's why quads get criticized so much for being dangerous. Plus half of the people (atleast in rural pa) are half rednecks that don't even wear helmets. If younger riders would ride the quads that were meant for them, I don't think there would be such a big deal about quads. Yes, I know we were all kids at one point in time and we all wanted to have the biggest quad out there, but it's just stupid putting a 13 year old kid on a 450r or a banshee.

Yeh but 90 cc's and 12 years old is rediculous

and comparing quads to bicycles is like comparing dirtbikes to scooters

07250ex
08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Outlaw 50

Sue Rabe

Sue Rabe of Turner, Oregon is co-founder of Concerned Families for ATV Safety. On Monday, May 6th, 2002 ten year old Kyle Rabe rode the family ATV across the neighbor’s field to have an after school snack with his friend. On his way home the ATV he was riding hit a rut and tipped over on him suffocating him to death. Even though Kyle was a skilled rider and in full gear, he didn't have a chance. The 250cc adult size ATV weighed 500 pounds and Kyle just barely 80 pounds. Sue has been active in ATV safety issues since the tragic death of her son.

Here's the real story:..Kyle and his friend Zach Rouse were riding ATVs that day. Kyle's ATV was not a youth model, but he rode as well as any adult, said his father, Tom Rabe. Traveling down a grassy slope, Kyle's machine overturned, pinning him to the ground. Though he wore a helmet and protective gear, he couldn't breathe under the ATV's weight.

Garth Rouse, alerted by his son, estimated he arrived at the scene 10 or 15 minutes after the accident. "By the time I got there, Kyle was gone, no breathing, no nothing," he said. "It's your worst fear that could ever happen."

http://www.atvsafetynet.org/

I love how in the fake story they exajurate(spelling) so much ive never flipped hitting a rut in a field? lol sounds a little made up that a big quad would just flip over like that for no reason lol

trx400EXtreme
08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Eviltanker

thats 100% true. if a kid dies on a quad then i guess the parents should have thought twice before giving there, i dont know, 10 year old a freakin 450. DUH!!!:eek:

cr977
08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
Yeh but 90 cc's and 12 years old is rediculous

and comparing quads to bicycles is like comparing dirtbikes to scooters

more like comparing the top speed of a geo metro and a 747

cr977
08-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
thats 100% true. if a kid dies on a quad then i guess the parents should have thought twice before giving there, i dont know, 10 year old a freakin 450. DUH!!!:eek:

there is a guy around here that lets his 8 year old ride his 450r, he says the bike is stock it is ok for his 8 year old to ride it, and he says he cannot afford to get his kid a more age appropriate bike, that makes me mad, the guy can afford a 450r for him a 450r for his wife, a 450x dirt bike for himself with mods, and a baja ready xr650r, but he cant spend 1500 and buy his kid a used 300ex? that is the kind of story that makes me mad

mod440ex
08-07-2007, 01:17 PM
#1 killer of children under 16 on atvs? the stupid parents who allow them to operate them!(i.e. a 11 year old on a yfz or a 12 year old on a 700 cc ute) [/B][/QUOTE]

i couldnt agree with you more. its all about careless parents. How many kids who die on atvs or dirtbikes have the proper and i mean all the proper equipment on, and how many kids start on the right sized atv. my nephew is 6 and he cant go riding unless he has his helmet, jersey, gloves, chest protector, boots, and goggles on, and he only rides a 50cc dirtbike. Come on parents step up to the plate:mad:

KXRida
08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
haha, I'm just making a generalization of most of the people I know in pa haha.

This is what I responded to the one atv link.

I have to say this site is very proactive and informative. It's a great site. After taking the time to read all of the personal stories, I've realized after about the fifth story, that none of these children had any sort of protective gear at all. Helmets have made huge improvements of the years and I personally feel that some of their lives could have been drastically changed if one was worn. Being a current dirt bike rider and being involved in the sport, I can say that I have seen/been involved in my share of accidents, but modern saftey gear has kept me safe thus far. Another generalization that I made from reading the stories is that the children were on atv's much too large for their size. I do not want to sound harsh or anything, but the parents need to make realistic decisions when buying a child an atv or allowing them to ride one. I would never allow my 5 year old nephew to ride the current atv's that we have. I do remember reading in one of the stories that the dealer provided the family with helmets, but then they stated that the dealer did not inform them of the dangers of atv's. I am completely at a loss for words for that statement. There is an obvious risk one takes the moment one turns the ignition on. Personally I feel only the parents can judge how their children can handle an atv and only they can judge if their child is physically and mentally mature enough to ride one. I think this site is a real "eye opener" for most people, but ignorance, as in the lack of not knowing the information, comes into play when people have a prejudice against the recreation. Keep up the good information on the site.

440racer66
08-07-2007, 03:23 PM
yeah i agree that age shouldnt be a determining sp factor in the choce of atv your child rides its still has to be in the equasion basically i see it as skill and if they are responsible enough to handle the responsibility but like honda says stupid hurts you let a 10 year old lose on a girzzly and you never taught them how to ride it you know its like handing them a loaded gun that says look in hole and pull trigger. i was 5'9 at 14 and had a 440ex then later that year still 14 i got a yfz. but anybody that hates somthing has the upper hand in the battle because they are allways attacking.

KXRida
08-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by 440racer66
yeah i agree that age shouldnt be a determining sp factor in the choce of atv your child rides its still has to be in the equasion basically i see it as skill and if they are responsible enough to handle the responsibility but like honda says stupid hurts you let a 10 year old lose on a girzzly and you never taught them how to ride it you know its like handing them a loaded gun that says look in hole and pull trigger. i was 5'9 at 14 and had a 440ex then later that year still 14 i got a yfz. but anybody that hates somthing has the upper hand in the battle because they are allways attacking.

Yea I started out on a blaster which was still a little on the small side for me, so I never really rode it. I could've started out on a 400ex at age 13 without a problem. I rode my dirt bikes instead because the quad felt small and under powered. (for me at the time it was)