PDA

View Full Version : how can you tell what make engine you have??

jetski_dawg
08-05-2007, 08:03 PM
ive posted on here before about this used engine i bought .. i was told it was an early dinli engine..but im not so sure the more i tear it down.. how can you tell what make it is??

jetmedic
08-06-2007, 04:46 AM
Ding a lings have a different trans than all others. Thats the easiest way to tell. The others a pretty much identical.

Bayman111
08-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Study alot of motors, pics, etc and look for details. thats how i do it>>>>>>>> ,Bailey

markvette
08-06-2007, 03:33 PM
most the asian minis use the same cases. even the early dinli's used the same case as a predator or eton. most parts will interchange such as tranny gears, cylinders and cranks. the kasea's had a different stator and flyheel than the others. yes the output shafts are different on some brands but the gears will bolt into a different set of cases . i have put many a eton or kasea tranny in a predator so i could switch to a 520 chain some have large end cranks and some have small end cranks. some just use the bottom motor mount and the 2 rears, some use the 2 top mounts. my sons eton had so many set of cases in it i could not tell you what exactly the motor was at any given time.

jetski_dawg
08-06-2007, 08:10 PM
thanks for the replies.. i was wondering if the cases was stamped with different numbers for different quads.. ive heard you had to shim up the jug if you had a dinli bottom end

markvette
08-06-2007, 09:07 PM
the old dinlis had a 45mm crank and the rest had 42mm cranks. post some pics of both sides and someone can probably tell you what it is.

Mark

jetski_dawg
08-07-2007, 07:40 PM
pics

jetski_dawg
08-07-2007, 07:44 PM
2nd pic

markvette
08-07-2007, 08:17 PM
basic mini case. will fit anything but the later dinlis. is the hole broke where the steel motor mount bolts on the back of the engine on the sprocket side. if it is then the case is junk.

Mark

jetski_dawg
08-07-2007, 08:42 PM
yup..thanks to UPS..they dropped it and bent the rear mount breaking the case and bending the bolt into an "L".. i was just gonna replace the one side but i read in another post its best to replace both due to machined surfaces... ive replaced just one half on a herchee engine and had no problems..guess i got lucky.. who has the best prices on parts??cases..bearings..ect....thanks for your help mark

markvette
08-07-2007, 09:05 PM
yes i read that post too but i have never replaced both cases. i have used the same right half on about 6 different left halves with no problems. eton sells the right case for about $130

dodgepower
08-07-2007, 09:43 PM
mark,

Long time no talk. Glad to see your still alive and kicking. yall going to the Baker, FL race?

justin

p.s. jetski.....this old fart knows his stuff so i would trust what he tells ya:D :D :D

markvette
08-07-2007, 09:51 PM
yea we are going. got bubbas 300 down but will be up and running by then. tearing into josh's next week too. yea still kicking just been busy.

Mark

dodgepower
08-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Cool beans then hope to see you there barring anything coming up........................have yall been there before? im not gonna bring my bike then if bubba is racing:):):)

jetski_dawg
08-08-2007, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by dodgepower
mar

p.s. jetski.....this old fart knows his stuff so i would trust what he tells ya:D :D :D

your right dodge... mark has been a great help

etondaddy
08-08-2007, 07:14 AM
If you can't find a local E-Ton dealer. I have one here that sponsors Kyle and we get 25% off retail. After shipping to you it may be the same though. Let me know if I can help.

Mike

jetski_dawg
08-08-2007, 01:22 PM
thanks mike..im trying one of halies sponsors..motoxsupport.. they have been quoting some great prices..hope it works out

markvette
08-08-2007, 05:50 PM
i get all my bearings at a local auto parts store. they specialize in things like that. they are good bearings not cheap junk. sometimes they only have the crank bearings with the rubber seal but i just pop that out. i have never had a bearing failure with their bearings. all the bearings in the case have a number on them and you can just give them the number. you will have to get the seals at a dealer though.

dodge

we have never been there, i have heard it is really super crossy. billy is going too. i had not planned on running any of bakers races, the guy that owns it use to own the other florida track and he is a quad hater. we have missed some of the alabama races so we need to make this one. bubba is 5th in the points but first place has to bump up because he has won all the races in the beginner class plus he ran money at the atmore race. if he runs beginner at florida i will protest him. also fourth place is not suppose to be there either so bubba should bump up to at least 3rd or maybe even second at this race.

Mark

drr5
08-08-2007, 06:13 PM
sorry to highjack the thread but what race are you all going to in fl?

markvette
08-08-2007, 07:07 PM
baker florida. it is a series. they practice on saturday and run the quads that afternoon, sunday they run the bikes. just a couple of quad classes. mini, quad beginner, quad amateur and quad pro am.

jetski_dawg
08-09-2007, 05:28 AM
i do the same thing mark..i buy all the bearings i can locally.. the bearing place here sells timkin bearings and national seals.. i can get most of them..a few i have to buy from a dealer..........wheres baker fl track??

jetski_dawg
08-16-2007, 08:40 PM
another question.. how do you measure/tell the difference between a 42mm,45mm,48mm, stroke crank.. is it center to center?? total length of the rod??...thanks