PDA

View Full Version : 400ex revamp!

EX LONERIDER
08-05-2007, 01:58 AM
past months ive worked on my 400 to revamp it into a nice 440. new plastics, exhaust, oil tank and other odds and ends with some polishing done. so what you guys think??

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4329/project440ex032pa8.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1056/project440ex034sc8.jpg
http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/8725/project440ex035vp0.jpg
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2047/project440ex039zf2.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2725/project440ex040ln2.jpg

Ruby Soho
08-05-2007, 07:29 AM
wow that looks really good!!!

450rJam
08-05-2007, 07:37 AM
I still like the factory plastic better but that exhaust is looking sweet, Im liking the tail light also

bet its faster after you get the chain on

nice clean ride you have there

honda300EXtreme
08-05-2007, 10:03 AM
yea.. that thing looks real good...

you gonna put graphics on that thing?

CrewCab
08-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Looks great! White looks awesome on Honda's.

EX LONERIDER
08-05-2007, 11:43 AM
thanks guys. i appreciate the compliments.

i tried running the bike but it just didnt seem nearly as fast as it used to be.... even rolling down hill. i figure a good chain mod will help it go faster too though. :D

as for graphics... im not quite sure. i like it clean, simple and most importantly diffrent. i may make my own and then have similar ones done on my helmet. ill be getting a palane jane white helmet also. so whatever desighns i get done on the bike ill match em to the helmet too.

the only thing i wish i could change was the front blue coils off the works shocks.

tar
08-05-2007, 02:31 PM
looks really good I love white plastic

Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
the only thing i wish i could change was the front blue coils off the works shocks.

You can have your springs powdercoated

thisperishedmin
08-05-2007, 04:26 PM
i love those front lights dude, trailtechs???

where did you get them from in a non-steering stem way like that? howd you mount them.

whatd you have to do to wire the taillight in? what was it off of? (is the r6 a streetbike if my memory serves correctly)

thanks for any input! :) looks good

EX LONERIDER
08-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by tar
looks really good I love white plastic

You can have your springs powdercoated

yea, im thinking im gonna go out and have them done possibly along with a couple other things too.

thisperishedmin- yea, the lights are trailtech m-11's (the longer ones) i ordered them directly from trailtech. you just have to buy them individually instead of in a kit. cheaper that way and you can also mount them without the clamps. i used the original front body mount area to mount them. i drilled a 3/8ths hole (i think) into the mount and mounted them directly there. ill post some pictures of that for ya.

the tail light is off of a 05' yamaha R6 street bike. its a 3 wire system from the tail light. i ran the ground and the tail light power wire to the stock bullet connectors on the bike. then i ran a power wire for the brake light from the switch i installed from a new 450R. take a look at the bottom links. i made a whole post on how to do it all... pictures included.

tail light mod.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=307005

brake light mod.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=307998

thisperishedmin
08-05-2007, 10:57 PM
it looks real good....ill bookmark those links for later - thanks :)

im going to have to tear into my wiring a bit to find all of that again...the last owner had it stripped down as much as possible so it could be tricky...Id like to get properly wired headlights and tail light on again. Does the brake light go for just the front or front and rear? do your other lights have to be on??

thanks for the info man - much appreciated :)

allstock
08-05-2007, 11:09 PM
looks good i like the white just get some nerfs:cool:

EX LONERIDER
08-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by thisperishedmin
it looks real good....ill bookmark those links for later - thanks :)

Does the brake light go for just the front or front and rear? do your other lights have to be on??

thanks for the info man - much appreciated :)

the brake light is hot so it comes on individually from the lights being on. (lights dont have to be on) the tail light was wired in to the stock location. the front headlights were too, though i placed them in the "high beam" connection. i wired in a "running light" LED up front on the "low beam" end to have something for parking illumination.

im seriously happy with the white plastics. gives the bike such a clean look. i thought about graphics but i like it clean just the way it sits now. the only thing i may add to it at this point is possibly some air shrouds with some nice product decals on em.

woodring88
08-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Thats a nice clean quad ya got there!! I was wondering how good those trail tech lights work? I would like to get a hood for my 400 but i wasn't sure if any other lights would be a good replacement. BTW, i do a decent amount of night riding.

EX LONERIDER
08-09-2007, 08:36 PM
thanks.

well, i have a set of 35 watt lights on there. one spot, and one flood. its better then stock but not too much better. i havent taken it out to try them out on a ride but i can imagine they'll be better then the stock lights.

i may try a higher wattage bulb on the spot light to gain more distance. the flood light seems to do a decent job near the front of the bike. though if i had to suggest a wattage to go with i would go with a 50 watt bulb set, or at least 1 50 watt with the other being a 35. it will depend on what you need the most, wether it be a spot for distance or flood for close distance. either way, you can never have enough light. chances are my next mod will be a higher watt stator.

most of the downfall on the stock lighting was that i was always swapping from low to high to low again because of the big gap in adjustment. there was no way around it so having seperate lights now will allow me to adjust for both far and close range lighting.

woodring88
08-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
thanks.

well, i have a set of 35 watt lights on there. one spot, and one flood. its better then stock but not too much better. i havent taken it out to try them out on a ride but i can imagine they'll be better then the stock lights.

Alright, thanks alot. I was just wondering if they would perform as well as the stock lights do. Thank you!

woodring88
08-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Hey LONERIDER, sorry to bug ya again but, do those lights hol up well while jumping?? Thanx!!

EX LONERIDER
08-10-2007, 03:22 PM
no worries bro.... from what i can tell they are pretty damn solid.

since i mounted them to the frame instead of the steering stem like all their kits do, i think they get less vibration amplified to them. ive seen my buddys' quad always blow bulbs due to the vibration on the steering clamp style. only time will definately tell but i think they are a prety solid peice.

ill get you a picture posted tonight of where/how i mounted them to help you out.

thisperishedmin
08-10-2007, 04:27 PM
I take it you just got the regular halogens off trailtechs site and not the HID lights?

Im considering the HID's but the pricetag is a killer....im wondering if its not worth saving for though...especially if you said the distance on yours is lacking slightly...

lemme know, thanks.

(PS - i snagged an r6 tailight off ebay pretty cheap, def going to give that sweet mod a go :D)

EX LONERIDER
08-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by thisperishedmin
I take it you just got the regular halogens off trailtechs site and not the HID lights?

Im considering the HID's but the pricetag is a killer....im wondering if its not worth saving for though...especially if you said the distance on yours is lacking slightly...

lemme know, thanks.

(PS - i snagged an r6 tailight off ebay pretty cheap, def going to give that sweet mod a go :D)

yea, i figured i'd try the halogens and see. i think with some higher wattage it should be fine distance wise. the HID's are nice but just a bit too pricey. i think ill save some cash for em though. i definately think they are worth it. you figure... for how much more light you get out of HID's and the money you WOULD spend on a higher power stator... you are better off buying the HID's in the long run.

cool deal on the R6 light. trust me... its brighter then anything ive seen so far on any quad! you'll definately be noticed.