PDA

View Full Version : advantages and disadvantages of no link rear suspension

jbwoodie
08-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Can someone fill me in on both. Everyone else seems to use a link system but if it was a slam dunk that it is better why would KTM choose not to use it.

gncc025
08-05-2007, 01:38 AM
no link puts the power to the ground better than "linked". the power isnt soaked up through the rear suspension as much. in other words, good starts

as far as disadvantages u got me. im sure it probably has one or two though.

N300exJ
08-05-2007, 08:04 AM
alot of the top aftermarket companies do a no link system. Its better than a linked system.

Scro
08-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by N300exJ
alot of the top aftermarket companies do a no link system. Its better than a linked system.

I'm curious about the pros/cons as well. Why would most all manufacturers spend the extra dough in material to create a link, rather than going no-link, if it was better?

jbwoodie
08-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Have any idea why, or are you just repeating what others have told you. I'm mean no disrespect I am just a hands on kind of person and want to know how it is better, with specifics.

Originally posted by N300exJ

cjpoole1
08-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Heres what I've found doing a little searching
No-link:
takes up less space
more ground clearance
less leverage changes on the shock which makes it easier to dial in the valving
more up and down movement in the shock which can cause fading quicker

Linkage:
takes up more space
less ground clerance
more leverage changes on the shock which lets the shock respond better to a greater amount of changes in the surface condition
shock in more vertical and has less up and down movement in the shock meaning less fade and the ability to have more travel

coryatver
08-05-2007, 08:47 PM
check out this link
http://www.gtthunder.com/Suspensions.htm

bwamos
08-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by cjpoole1
Heres what I've found doing a little searching
No-link:
takes up less space
more ground clearance
less leverage changes on the shock which makes it easier to dial in the valving
more up and down movement in the shock which can cause fading quicker

Linkage:
takes up more space
less ground clerance
more leverage changes on the shock which lets the shock respond better to a greater amount of changes in the surface condition
shock in more vertical and has less up and down movement in the shock meaning less fade and the ability to have more travel

Cons of No-Link is that it takes a more complicated shock setup to obtain the progressive dampening that you get with a link and a cheaper linear dampening shock.

aka.. it's cheaper to manufacture a simple link and a basic shock, than no link and a fancy shock.

Another downfall is that if you don't like the progression, you generally have to get the shock reworked as opposed to getting different link.

whc
08-22-2007, 05:59 PM
I owe an ktm 250 exc bike, the linkless rear is not as smooth as my suzuki rm, takes careful setup, is ok at higher speeds but still too stiff at low speeds. advatages its lighter and requires less matainece overall I would rate if poor compared to link suspension. whc

pred174
08-22-2007, 09:44 PM
not to mention that it looks like most of that rear end is a polaris all the way down to the to the rear skid plate.....which is not a bad thing cause polaris offers a lifetime warranty on there rear axles

pred174
08-22-2007, 09:44 PM
outlaw