PDA

View Full Version : jetting today

f150mann
08-03-2007, 11:05 PM
i did my first jetting today.... i have stage one hotcams, a uni filter and today i put on a hmf slip on.. it had a 165 in it, and it bogged in low rpms, i have a 155 in it now but didnt get a chance to run it.. but it sounds like it is backfiring, do i need to go down or up on the jetting? like a 152 or a 160

CarGuy7a
08-03-2007, 11:29 PM
it's kind of hard to tell if you haven't ran it yet. i'd wait till you get a chance to really open it up to full throttle.

my rule of thumb on what to listen for when i'm jetting is i'll cruise up to second gear then hammer down on it all the way hit third gear and hammer it again to full throttle.

what i listen for is either a bogg or a popping or cutting out sound. if it boggs then your too rich. if it pops and such then it's too lean. a little popping on decel is normal. if it's excess popping really loud than you are either lean on the pilot circuit of your carb or you have an exhaust leak.

and when i get hard in it i do it real quick and hold it till i need to shift. like i said i try to go through 2nd and 3rd gear really hard.

f150mann
08-06-2007, 06:17 PM
well i finally got to run her, it seems to run great.. no bogging, but when i let off, it does backfire quite a bit and fairly loud, i have heard this could also be from a leak, the slipon didnt fit perfectly tight on the headpipe, would a leak there make it backfire? im going to try some high temp silicone on it

honda300EXtreme
08-06-2007, 06:36 PM
yea make sure theres no leaks any where.. if its a slight pop then adjust your air/fuel screw... if its a constant popping i would bump up to a 42 pilot jet. then fine tune it from there.

CarGuy7a
08-06-2007, 07:18 PM
i would check for exhaust leaks first b/c that's an easy fix. i did have one on mine and had the same popping. check exhaust gaskets at the head. mine leaked at the slip on exhaust. the only time the gaskets will leak is if you took the head pipes off at one time and did not install new gaskets.

the hi temp silicon may be a quick fix but i would recommend a stainless T bolt clamp.