PDA

View Full Version : Paddles for winter?

400exrapes
08-03-2007, 10:17 PM
A friend and I want to try putting cheap paddles on our quads for winter when we get alot of snow. That way we dont get stuck or nothing and there cheap. Is this a good Idea? will the tires wear alot cuz we'll be riding on the road and some feilds

gcart2
08-04-2007, 09:03 AM
u cant ride pattles on the road. i did in glamis for like a 25 meter stretch and i about fell off it was so bad.

400exrapes
08-04-2007, 09:14 AM
wait I couldnt use paddles for the snow? like on the road that has snow on it and stuff?

gcart2
08-04-2007, 09:26 AM
o srry. i dont no i ride sand.

400exrapes
08-04-2007, 09:28 AM
hows the sand i only ride trails? and also if you can ask anyone if theyve rode paddles in thesnow if there good

gcart2
08-04-2007, 09:37 AM
go to
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=310362

JOEX
08-04-2007, 10:27 AM
It sounds like they would work great but all i've heard was they (the scoops) just get packed up with snow and become useless.

Becareful riding in the snow though. There will be alot of tire spin & high revs with very little air movement. Not a good thing for an air cooled motor.

realbeef
08-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
It sounds like they would work great but all i've heard was they (the scoops) just get packed up with snow and become useless.

Becareful riding in the snow though. There will be alot of tire spin & high revs with very little air movement. Not a good thing for an air cooled motor.

even when its -30? thats what it is like here in MN, i do it all the time during winter,

JOEX
08-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by realbeef
even when its -30? thats what it is like here in MN, i do it all the time during winter,
-30*F is a regular winter temp up your way?

400exrapes
08-04-2007, 12:28 PM
yeah it will be like 0-10 degrees but alot of snow and it will just fly up onto my engine so thats a coolant* and beleive me the way we rode last year there was plenty of wind movement but thanks joex that makes complete sense i will watch and what kind of tires should i get so that the snow doesnt get clogged in there

86 Quad R
08-04-2007, 11:08 PM
they'll work fine for snow but, watch it when making accelerated turns lol you'll spin out easily. they're good for straight line.

ideally i like the 4-snows or the prowedge II's on the widest wheels ya can buy.

patZ24
08-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Maxxis 4-snow is the way to go!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/patz24/4SNOW.jpg

Here in Quebec, Canada, we have a lot of snow and almost everybody have them for winter riding.

They are only offered in 22", allowing more ground clearance under the axle.The rubber is very soft and expand with the speed. At 60 MPH, the tire is approximatively 24" O.D.. (dropping a tooth on the front sprocket is a great idea)

They wear very fast, especially on asphalt, but they are cheap!

You can't go wrong with them!

400exrapes
08-05-2007, 10:16 AM
alright yeah i realized that the snows are the best we were just thinking sand tires are cheap as well and probably work almost as good in the snow and we could pull wheelies in the yard

1965 honda
08-06-2007, 10:28 AM
:macho

davetheslave
08-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I've tried paddles in the snow. And I personally didn't like them. they just got clogged up and quit working after about 50 feet.

Kaleigh
08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I use cheap Kenda straight cuts in the winter and they work great.. 22" are perfect for the snow.. Straight cuts work alot better then V-cuts..

for the price.. its worth it to run paddle in the winter.. well for me atleast..

Mercedes
08-07-2007, 10:53 AM
The best tires for winter is the 4-snow. I also live in Quebec,Canada and believe me we know what it takes to ride in snow. It get very could here and the trail( that are maintaned all winter) so sometime have ice patches. So the best combo is the 4-snow in the rear and pinning the front tires with ice screws.

Cheers

Kaleigh
08-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Mercedes
The best tires for winter is the 4-snow. I also live in Quebec,Canada and believe me we know what it takes to ride in snow. It get very could here and the trail( that are maintaned all winter) so sometime have ice patches. So the best combo is the 4-snow in the rear and pinning the front tires with ice screws.

Cheers

how good are they in powder?

250x_kyle
08-07-2007, 01:35 PM
me and my buddy just ran lower pressure on our razrs. worked grate. we were drag racing up a hill past my house and up at the top of the hill is my neighbors field thats a small sloap up and then a down hill and about 300 yards to his pond. we would go shape the snow drift iwht a nice lip (some times my nieghbor would build it up with his tractor for us) and drag race up the road hit the lip and see who made it farther out. i actually had the front end lift up a few times and my road is always ice or hard packed snow thats just like ice.

nickk
08-08-2007, 10:15 AM
I ice race here in the winter its bare ice with a little bit of snow on it sometimes but i use cut turf tamers, cut the middle of the lug so theres like 1/2 inch on each side of each lug hooks up awesome. when i'm not racing i take it on the frozen rivers here and kick all other bikes ***, except if their running studs.

REDRIDDER
08-08-2007, 10:59 AM
I would think that paddle tires in the snow from a dead stop would just dig down and get you burried but the 4-snows look like they would do allright.

Kaleigh
08-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
I would think that paddle tires in the snow from a dead stop would just dig down and get you burried but the 4-snows look like they would do allright.

they're actually pretty good for a dead stop.. I never had a problem starting off..

400exrapes
08-08-2007, 01:32 PM
well theres too much debate about it if my turf tamers got me everywhere besides the parts where it was my fault ididnt get through them im fine, but what tires are good for when your deep in snow like you go off road by accident and theres just a bigg 3 foot trench would the holeshot hd's rip me through that?

outlaw319
08-08-2007, 04:26 PM
I used straight paddles for snow without any problems. Never had them clog up on me, and from a dead stop they pulled good enough to dig down and turn me over once! The only thing is I wish I could figure out a good front tire to steer a little better.

JOEX
08-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
well theres too much debate about it if my turf tamers got me everywhere besides the parts where it was my fault ididnt get through them im fine, but what tires are good for when your deep in snow like you go off road by accident and theres just a bigg 3 foot trench would the holeshot hd's rip me through that?
I don't think the choice of tire is going to make any difference in that situation lol...

400exrapes
08-08-2007, 10:26 PM
i got everywhere last year with turf tamers so im sure holeshot HD's would be alot better i dont ride track at all so