PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Axis shocks?

400eXr1d3rZ
08-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Can anyone give me step-by-step procedures to setting up my Axis shocks? and setting up my TCS rear?

mx1791
08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
anyone? i could find this useful in a day or 2:D :D

400eXr1d3rZ
08-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Bump.

zrpilot
08-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Wow, got a couple of days!?

Good suspension is a series of compromises. No one could give you all the info you would need through this forum. But here is my $.02 worth.

Check everything:
Tire pressure
Tire size (actual)
Front width
Rear width
Rider height
Riding position
Camber
Castor
Toe
Swing arm length
Ride height
Front to rear balance
Race sag
Compression
Cross over distance
Rebound
I'm sure there is more I've forgotten!!!
Oh yeah, bump steer
Wheel offset
Checking for correct shock length ( fella I ride with bought an Axis shock for his 450R that was the wrong length)

Once you've done all that, then ride it and see what you like and don't. But remember, if you think, "all I've changed is this ______" , you probably have changed many things!

Here are a couple of other suggestions:
Have a friend photograph and video you while riding over the terrain you most ride (in other words not in an open field!)

Whew, you have a lot of work to do.. GET TO IT!!

mx1791
08-04-2007, 10:39 PM
so do i set up the ride height with me on it first, and then set up the compresion/rebound etc etc

zrpilot
08-04-2007, 10:48 PM
First check everything....

What do you run for air pressure? How can you setup ride height if you have not checked air pressure. What about tire size? I run ITP GNCC 20" rears, but guess what they are not 20". If I setup ride height ,then change to a Maxis tire, my ride height might have changed.. see all I did was change tires, but I COULD have changed things like, caster, race sag, ride height, ETC....

mx1791
08-04-2007, 10:56 PM
i have 20in razr mx's up front 18in rears(i only bought front shocks though:ermm: ) so if i put stock tires back on for a muddy race or something, should i check all this again or can i just ride and be fine? thanks for answering those above questions though, im new to this shock/a arms stuff

zrpilot
08-04-2007, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mx1791
i have 20in razr mx's up front 18in rears so, if i put stock tires back on for a muddy race or something, should i check all this again or can i just ride and be fine? [/]

I guess it depends on what you expect from your quad? It looks like you have some nice shocks. Wouldn't you want maximum performance from that investment?

If it were me I'd want to know how my quad is setup....

mx1791
08-04-2007, 11:07 PM
yea i deff. want these things performing good haha, my stock shocks are wrist breakers. well if i have any problems setting them up ill prob make another thread. thanks

zrpilot
08-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Read this, it will help!

Axis shocks (http://www.customaxisshocks.com/Custom%20Axis.pdf)