PDA

View Full Version : headpipe glowing is this right? please read..

WhiteZrider
08-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Ok my z400 is jetted spot on and I've never had any problems with it over heating or nothing, and tonight while riding with my cousin putting in mid 2nd gear I noticed that my head pipe glows a dimmer to bright orange color. The fan seems to come on at different intervals like if I do one 2nd gear run shut it off the fan will come on and if i go and do it till it gets red again for the same amount of time and speed it wont turn on when i shut it off. My question is I figured that it is liquid and fan cooled and the jetting is right it shouldn't do this.

Ghost-Rider
08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
I have heard of this a few times, is it stock exhaust?

Titanium
08-02-2007, 11:17 PM
if your weather has changed recently your valves may not have adjusted to it yet. my old KFX used to do the same thing. After a while it will quit. Sometimes when i would go riding areas that are in a diff climate with higher or lower humidity my header would glow. Kinda weird.

honduh440
08-02-2007, 11:18 PM
its no problem at all all bikes will do it when ur "puttin around" it just gets a little hot

WhiteZrider
08-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
I have heard of this a few times, is it stock exhaust?

I have a full HMF with a k and N with an outerwears lid

416exfreak
08-03-2007, 07:58 AM
My 440ex with a full Yoshi and a K&N does it too...you can only tell at night and it glows for about 2 inches out of the head...

My dads 700 raptor does it, my buddies 450r does it....i think its a common thing, because all of our quads are running perfectly..

Reggie44
08-03-2007, 04:55 PM
All of the YFZ 450s, and the Rhino's do the same thing. If it bother's you, you can change the jetting. Lean it out a bit, and that will take the glow out.

400eXr1d3rZ
08-03-2007, 05:30 PM
My 400ex does it also.

ohsobad_chevy
08-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Reggie44
All of the YFZ 450s, and the Rhino's do the same thing. If it bother's you, you can change the jetting. Lean it out a bit, and that will take the glow out.

Negative....a lean condition will create heat, richer conditions will slightly reduce heat.

WhiteZ,
You can run your quad a little on the rich side....not too much, just a hair and also if you run higher octane gas, such as a 110, it will run a little cooler.

400exrider707
08-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
Negative....a lean condition will create heat, richer conditions will slightly reduce heat.

WhiteZ,
You can run your quad a little on the rich side....not too much, just a hair and also if you run higher octane gas, such as a 110, it will run a little cooler.

Though the fuel itself will burn cooler, I wouldn't count on the motor running cooler, different fuels will effect the jetting differently and 110 could possibly lean the jetting out. Especially if its oxygenated.

Glowing headpipes are more common with aftermarket units as the metal is often thinner than stock headpipes. Especially titanium ones. If you have a stock headpipe and its glowing you are definitely too lean. As long as your jetting is good like you say, there shouldn't be a problem. This topic is often quite debatable, I myself am not a fan of glowing headpipes regardless, and will rejet accordingly, but some leave them glowing and dont experience any problems, I'd rather not take the chance, but hey its your quad! Good Luck!

450rJam
08-04-2007, 10:32 AM
alot of them glow

lean is hot, too lean and its not going to run long.

you can always go with the header wrap,

xxnightraven73x
08-04-2007, 11:36 AM
most of the hmf full systems will do it because they have a thin wall header pipe to keep the weight down they do it on the raptors all the time and the jetting is spot on.its very normal and nothing to worry about nomatter what anyone else says if youre jetting is right dont bother yourself about it

m.h.s.c.#527
08-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Reggie44

no no no leaning it out will make it hotter