PDA

View Full Version : rekluse

chad6713
08-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Has anyone ever tried/had any luck with the rekluse clutch systems??? I ride harescrambles and XC. Thanks

Scro
08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I haven't rode them, but I can tell you what other people have told me. If you are racing only, and not hillclimbing or trail riding, they are pretty hard to beat.

The only downfall I've heard is the fact that if for some reason the motor goes dead on a hill, you don't have the compression of the motor to keep you from rolling back down. This is alright if you have E-start and can just press the button. But if you have to take your foot off the back brake to kick it, chances are you will start rolling backward.

They also take a little more maintanence than normal clutches, but I've heard that it's nothing too extreme.

Kev
08-02-2007, 09:48 PM
If you do decide to go with one. I suggest you buy a basket also, as my stock basket didn't last to long.

I use one for xc racing and have great luck with it. I check it every so often and change plates as needed, but it's been very reliable.

I did also notice going from a stock basket to there basket that I lost all my chatter in the clutch...

Don't recommend using it with the kicker version only of the honda as you won't like it when or if you kill it on a hill or somewhere you need to hold the brakes as mentioned in the other post.

Sjorge450R
08-03-2007, 05:36 AM
i have one for sale if you are interested. I just didnt like it. Its not for me. It took me a while to realize that i dont even usethe clutch to shift any way...lol. If you are interested let me know. All you need is a new gasket.

stumpleg
08-03-2007, 08:52 AM
If you race XC, this is a great investment. I have tried out both models, and I really like the new Z-Start Pro. Not near as much adjustment as the original. Like stated before, get their clutch basket. They work hand in hand with each other.

If you have it adjusted correctly, idel turned up enough, and warmed up properly, you shouldn't have any problems with it dieing. I did have mine die twice this past weekend at a race, (idle wasn't up enough after I did a rebuild of the motor), but if you stay on the gas enough, you should not have any trouble.

Colby@C&DRacing
08-03-2007, 09:00 AM
I have been racing XC since 04 on the same rekluse and can honestly say it makes me a faster rider. The new pro model is the way to go it would work really well for XC or MX with a lot less maintence.

chris46250r
08-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I dont understand the issue of trying to kick start on a hill. It's the same if you have a Rekluse or stock clutches, you gotta take your foot off the back brake to kick it.

Sjorge450R
08-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
I dont understand the issue of trying to kick start on a hill. It's the same if you have a Rekluse or stock clutches, you gotta take your foot off the back brake to kick it.

you can leave a normal clutch in gear and not roll.

sunco
08-04-2007, 09:47 AM
I'd don't know about you guys but my 450 came with a front brake :p

Sjorge450R
08-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by sunco
I'd don't know about you guys but my 450 came with a front brake :p

yea but on those steep hills, the front brake doesnt hold you too well...lol

Maybe i should get those cross drilled brake lines :o

chris46250r
08-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
you can leave a normal clutch in gear and not roll.

No kidding! But you aren't leaving it in gear to start it. Yall presented it like the rekluse made you have to take your foot off the back brake to kick it and the stock setup you didn't.

Sjorge450R
08-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
No kidding! But you aren't leaving it in gear to start it. Yall presented it like the rekluse made you have to take your foot off the back brake to kick it and the stock setup you didn't.

with rekluse, you have to move your foot from brake to kicker.

with stock clutch you dont need to worry about the rear brake case the motor holds you there.

chris46250r
08-04-2007, 09:06 PM

with stock clutch you dont need to worry about the rear brake case the motor holds you there.

So are you telling me that you are kicking it in gear with a stock clutch? I dont think so. I understand the part of rolling back down a hill with rekluse vs stock.

07250ex
08-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I haven't rode them, but I can tell you what other people have told me. If you are racing only, and not hillclimbing or trail riding, they are pretty hard to beat.

The only downfall I've heard is the fact that if for some reason the motor goes dead on a hill, you don't have the compression of the motor to keep you from rolling back down. This is alright if you have E-start and can just press the button. But if you have to take your foot off the back brake to kick it, chances are you will start rolling backward.

They also take a little more maintanence than normal clutches, but I've heard that it's nothing too extreme.

Can't you just Utilize your front brakes?

07250ex
08-04-2007, 09:24 PM

yeah good luck kicking it in gear with out pulling in the clutch lol

madini
08-05-2007, 06:37 AM
Put a Rekluse in my 04Honda 450R as soon as they were offered.I didn't have any problems.But,occasionally,when I stalled on a hill, I knew it would be a pain getting it started no matter what clutch I was using.I bought the first 06HondaER the local dealer got,brought it home and installed the Rekluse in it that day.I don't miss very many weekends that I don't ride somewhere.No problems.I checked with Rekluse on Friday and Brian says they don't plan on building a Z-start for the DS450 anytime soon.That disappoints me a lot.That would be the first problem the Rekluse product and company has given me.I'm still getting the DS but the Honda will remain with me untill I'm convinced it's a better ride.

07250ex
08-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by madini
Put a Rekluse in my 04Honda 450R as soon as they were offered.I didn't have any problems.But,occasionally,when I stalled on a hill, I knew it would be a pain getting it started no matter what clutch I was using.I bought the first 06HondaER the local dealer got,brought it home and installed the Rekluse in it that day.I don't miss very many weekends that I don't ride somewhere.No problems.I checked with Rekluse on Friday and Brian says they don't plan on building a Z-start for the DS450 anytime soon.That disappoints me a lot.That would be the first problem the Rekluse product and company has given me.I'm still getting the DS but the Honda will remain with me untill I'm convinced it's a better ride.

what the heck is a Z start

madini
08-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Z-start is what Rekluse calls their clutch. Why? Never thought about it.The newest model is called z-start Pro,again,why? I say why not.

madini
08-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Just noticed you have a 250EX.The Rekluse Z-start clutch is very similar to the one in your ride.

d3ktrix
08-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Can u engine brake with the rekluse?

Sjorge450R
08-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Can u engine brake with the rekluse?

yea. But its not the same.

Scro
08-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 07250ex
Can't you just Utilize your front brakes?

If the hill is big enough, the front brakes won't hold it.

07250ex
08-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by madini
Just noticed you have a 250EX.The Rekluse Z-start clutch is very similar to the one in your ride.

i got a full clutch my clutch has all the same parts as a regular clutch plus the centrifugal clutch ....

madini
08-06-2007, 05:36 PM
yes

Jason Hall
08-07-2007, 03:37 AM
I think I found the only downfall to the Rekluse clutch. I have the older style Z- start, not the Z- start pro. I use my Trans to slow myself down, this Is how I've always rode. I use my rear brakes faithfully also, only use my front's In an Emergency/panic stop. The problem I have Is when I down shift coming Into a turn & the engine Is slowing me down, If I touch my rear brakes even the slightest bit to hard the engine will shut off. There Is no way to pop start a Rekluse equipt engine. I love the clutch In every other situation. It takes every bit of low end chuggle away from the 450-r. It Ingages very smooth & consistent. I race MX on a 450r powered 3 wheeler. That seems to be the only time I stall the engine. In the woods on trails It Is a awesome advantage. My only complaint It engine braking holds the clutch Ingaged & one spike of the brakes & she's shut right off. Maybe the Z-start pro Is not like this? I might have to change my riding style & just not down shift like I do on my old 250r, It could just be ME.

chris46250r
08-07-2007, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Jason Hall
I think I found the only downfall to the Rekluse clutch. I have the older style Z- start, not the Z- start pro. I use my Trans to slow myself down, this Is how I've always rode. I use my rear brakes faithfully also, only use my front's In an Emergency/panic stop. The problem I have Is when I down shift coming Into a turn & the engine Is slowing me down, If I touch my rear brakes even the slightest bit to hard the engine will shut off. There Is no way to pop start a Rekluse equipt engine. I love the clutch In every other situation. It takes every bit of low end chuggle away from the 450-r. It Ingages very smooth & consistent. I race MX on a 450r powered 3 wheeler. That seems to be the only time I stall the engine. In the woods on trails It Is a awesome advantage. My only complaint It engine braking holds the clutch Ingaged & one spike of the brakes & she's shut right off. Maybe the Z-start pro Is not like this? I might have to change my riding style & just not down shift like I do on my old 250r, It could just be ME.

I thought the main reason for the Rekluse was to NOT be able to stall the engine. I dont nor will I ever have one but I have rode two different 450r's with them and you could slam on the brakes in any gear, any situation and it would just sit there and idle. I dont know, maybe the two I rode were put together wrong. :D

Jason Hall
08-07-2007, 07:53 AM
If you let OFF the throttle & lock up the brakes the clutch will disengage & It will Idle. If the engine Is slowing down the bike, & you lock up the rear wheels, It will shut off Insantly. Give It a try next time you ride one. It's basically the same as a standard clutch In an engine braking situation. If you think about it & grab the clutch when decelerating Into a turn, It does'nt stall. I hope I can buy a heavier spring to release the clutch faster. Otherwise I will learn to ride It like It Is. I love the clutch other than that. It could also be that I don't have the bar adjuster set at a real high rpm (The bar adjuster lets you adjust the RPM that the clutch engages). The reason I have that set at a low RPM Is because I like being able to slow myself down using the engine. If you set the engagment RPM high, you loose your engine braking.

Colby@C&DRacing
08-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Jason Hall
If you let OFF the throttle & lock up the brakes the clutch will disengage & It will Idle. If the engine Is slowing down the bike, & you lock up the rear wheels, It will shut off Insantly. Give It a try next time you ride one. It's basically the same as a standard clutch In an engine braking situation. If you think about it & grab the clutch when decelerating Into a turn, It does'nt stall. I hope I can buy a heavier spring to release the clutch faster. Otherwise I will learn to ride It like It Is. I love the clutch other than that. It could also be that I don't have the bar adjuster set at a real high rpm (The bar adjuster lets you adjust the RPM that the clutch engages). The reason I have that set at a low RPM Is because I like being able to slow myself down using the engine. If you set the engagment RPM high, you loose your engine braking.

This is not suppose to happen.... Your clutch is not adjusted properly. We are a autherized Rekluse tuning center and if you need help getting that fixxed let me know.

hondamano4
08-07-2007, 10:42 AM
yea it diffently sounds like u dont have it adjusted right because i had z-start and the only problem i had with was if u hit he gas real quick and then let off of it from a die stop. it also chatter a lot so i bought the z-start pro and the basket that the have and it is awesome now i would not trade for anything it the world. the pro clutch it just a lot smoother does not need as much adjustemt like the z-start. if u got the money i would upgrade to the pro u will be disapont.

Eric

Jason Hall
08-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Well I talked to a guy at Rekluse today, I learned alot In a short time. The guy was very cool & made me totally understand how the clutch works. You guys are RIGHT. I need to change the origional TRX setup, because of the lighter weight of the 3 wheeler. There are 5 Tungston Carbide balls In the trx setup that are put In there to add weight to make the clutch grip tighter & hold harder. By taking out the heavy balls, It will allow the clutch to release quicker. So the heavier spring I thought I needed Is not needed. Sweet, I'm so glad I called them. The guys name Is Patrick, he knows his product very well. Thanks for the Info guys, I will get er set up right now.

ct_racer
10-09-2007, 07:34 PM
do you see a big difference on the engine power.. compare to the stock clutch?

duke416ex
10-10-2007, 07:27 AM
You will see a little difference in engine power, but not much at all. The better setup your clutch is the better power delivery you will have.

For you guess worried about holding the back brakes on hills and stuff with a rekluse, there is a kit they sell which replaces your clutch lever with a rear brake lever and also has a 2 finger clutch lever with it.