PDA

View Full Version : Dune tires....

Rootar
08-02-2007, 01:34 PM
I was looking at getting a cheap set of paddles for going to the dunes, ive never been but we are planning a trip for as soon as the weather cools off. i dont wanna spend much considering they'll maybe get rode twice a year. i saw the kenda geckos in a 21x11x8 and i could just throw those on one of my sets of 8inch hipers for the weekend. If you have run these please tell me if they worked pretty good, i dont care for racing up hills or anything just something better than some mx tires and will keep me up on top of the sand so i can jump and such, power to spin them wont be a problem but im not spending more than 80-90 bucks for a set. my kenda mx fronts will do alright in the sand wont they?

we will be going to Waynoka, Ok if that matters.

coolkid91
08-02-2007, 02:14 PM
hi, i wouldnt get geckos,heard they sucked up power bad.i have ams sand snakes on my bike and they do awsome and very cheap.i payed 158 for 20/11/8 sand snakes with douglas 160. 8x8 wheels.ams also makes a v pattern tire.from rockymountainatv.com by the way

Rootar
08-02-2007, 03:08 PM
as i said i dont have a lack of power my crfs are built to the hilt. just wondering if the geckos will work for me or if there is a better tire in the same price range, your paddles cost double what i wanna spend on a set.

coolkid91
08-02-2007, 03:41 PM
um dude the geckos in the size u want r $49.00,the sand snakes are 46.95 a tire/so my setup is cheaper and alot better paddle trust me http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do

tar
08-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Rootar don't get geckos two of my friends got them and they both hate them. They have used paddles at the powersports store there at the dunes. Your fronts will be fine. Tell me when your going down there maybe I will be there.

Rootar
08-02-2007, 04:56 PM
where did you see 49 i can get them for 35 each????????

ummm what store are you talking about tar? do they have a site or a phone number? i dont wanna be assembling hipers when i get out to the dunes while other are riding. i like to get them a few weeks in advance.

EDIT i can get ITP sand stars for 50 each. i didnt really wanna spend that much but thats how much i can get them for.

coolkid91
08-02-2007, 06:43 PM
o ok,i saw the geckos were $35 in 18in.,and the 21 were 49. on rockymountain.com /or you selecting your size because ut will change the price?

cataway
08-02-2007, 08:09 PM
there noting seriously wrong with geckos then either are they the worst tire , i have a set of trackers that pale in comparison.
i have done some dragging racing with geckos quite often i would get the hole shot , they seam to have to much bite some times ,it like the front wheels just wont stay down, depends on what sand your on as well. there not made for dragging ,you have to get some thing like skat track extremes or padla brats for that, both are very lite tires but waaaaaay more money.

tar
08-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
where did you see 49 i can get them for 35 each????????

ummm what store are you talking about tar? do they have a site or a phone number? i dont wanna be assembling hipers when i get out to the dunes while other are riding. i like to get them a few weeks in advance.

EDIT i can get ITP sand stars for 50 each. i didnt really wanna spend that much but thats how much i can get them for.

They have a store in the parking lot that has a bunch of stuff like bars bumpers shocks pipes etc. I don't think they have a site. If I were you I would get the sandstars that's what I have and they are great. Definately worth the extra 20$ or so.

awlogeman
08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
I own a set of geckos I have never used them in the sand but i do use them for snow and mud they do great they have excellent hookup and the v-shape doesn't let them slide side to side and they arent that heavy but i only have them mounted on douglas .125 so i would think they would do fine in sand

quadracer505
08-08-2007, 12:51 PM
My dad rocks a set of geckos and they work fine. I think they are a fun tire the back end will slide out and they go strait well too. GET THEM. anything is better then mx tires.

400eXr1d3rZ
08-12-2007, 07:14 PM
It depends on what you like to do, V-Paddles are more for all around riding, they're easier to turn in also. Haulers (straight paddles) are great for hill climbing, drag racing and throwing ALOT of roost HIGH!

I suggest Sand Stars.

mephyst
08-13-2007, 01:41 PM
If you are only going to go once or twice I would just air the your mx tires down to a couple pounds since they are mounted on hipers.

You will do fine. What sand dunes are you going to? I sometimes don't run paddles and I have them... just because I want to explore other areas other around the sand which many times are very fun trails... I can still make it up any hill really... all it takes is momentum and the right body placement on your quad.