PDA

View Full Version : Quick brake question..

flauge
08-02-2007, 07:09 AM
Im about to order some things from RMATV and I figured i might as well get some brake pads since mine are getting wore down.
Ive narrowed it down to these two.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Brakes&webTypeId=31&webCatId=15&vehicleType=&pageLinkUri=&prodFamilyId=4504

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Brakes&webTypeId=31&webCatId=15&vehicleType=&pageLinkUri=&prodFamilyId=1220

Which one would be better you think??

400ex_rider13
08-02-2007, 08:17 AM
I've had the EBC brake pads, and they did alright. They were wore out and I put DP's in, and I just broke them in. I would go with the Galfer's just because they make good products, and their cheaper.

REDRIDDER
08-02-2007, 08:33 AM
do your self a favor and buy tusk brake parts.also you know that for those prices you only are getting one side so times that by 2 and your paying $50 bucks for pads.If i were you id go tusk and save a little but this is what i would do and the quality of tusk is similar to oem imo.

CarGuy7a
08-03-2007, 12:55 AM
i just put some Galfer Sintered on the rear a couple weeks ago. they work pretty good.

08-03-2007, 01:18 AM
I have a question, when you buy the brakes do they give you the set or do you have to buy them individually?

flauge
08-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I have a question, when you buy the brakes do they give you the set or do you have to buy them individually? Most of the places ive looked at sell you a set just for one side..so like redridder said you'll have to multiply it by 2 if you want to do the whole front.
Redridder, are those tusk pads pretty decent? Ive heard they wear down a lil quicker than most which i dont want since I race a lil bit of xc...
Speaking of tusk, has anybody tried their braided brake lines yet??

08-03-2007, 10:42 AM
for the rear brake there are 2 pads correct? so when I buy them off rockymountain or motosport I just buy 1 or do I double my order? I'm a little confused about this. Tusk makes some good stuff, I was looking at steel braided brake lines but had no clue they were that expensive. If you need faster braking and more durability they are worth it.

chris46250r
08-03-2007, 10:57 AM
When ordering the pads a Quantity of 1 is for one set meaning 2 pads.

08-03-2007, 04:19 PM
alright, thats what I needed cleared up because someone said you have to double your order. doubling the order is only for the fronts. Now I just need to know what brake pads i should get, also i will probally need brake fluid cause yo7u have to bleed the brake lines

chris46250r
08-03-2007, 04:36 PM
You wont have to bleed the lines just putting new pads on.

AutoRoc
08-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I had to remove the caliper and use a serious c-clamp to push the piston back in. It really didn't want to go back in but finally gave in. It was definately needed just to install the new EBC's. Then again, my old pads were so toast, they fell right out, metal and all...haha

flauge
08-03-2007, 10:52 PM
I almost forgot about the c- clamp, I gotta remember to get one before i change the pads out..Just wondering, would i still need one if i was changing the brake lines out at the same time? I know there'd probably be a lot less pressure pushing on the piston so it should be easier to push back in, right?.

I think i might try the tusk lines, but then again i can get some streamlines for around 10 bucks more. Bah! I cant make up my mind:mad:

CarGuy7a
08-03-2007, 11:37 PM
all i had to do was put a big screw driver between the old pads and pry to push the piston back in just like the clymer manual said. worked like a charm. but of course that's the first set i've had to put on since the quad was new.

also be sure to adjust your parking brake all the way out so the piston will move back.

j450rking
08-04-2007, 07:55 AM
i like my ebc sintered pads they work great

oh and the tusk lines are galfer! the package says tusk but the lines say galfer they are the same just cheaper! so go with the tusk lines:D

08-04-2007, 09:24 AM
alright i'll go with some EBC sintered brake pads and if I ever get steel braided brake lines i'll go with tusk. How did you find that out that the tusk say galfer? I think thats funny

flauge
08-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by j450rking
i like my ebc sintered pads they work great

oh and the tusk lines are galfer! the package says tusk but the lines say galfer they are the same just cheaper! so go with the tusk lines:D Oh yea!? I guess I'm going with tusk lines then!:cool: Now if I could just make up mind about the brake pads. Im actually thinking about getting some of the tusk sintered ones now. Im not scared to try 'em.:)
Theres not much of a difference in braking power out of all these pads is there? One will pretty much stop as good as the other right? I just need to stop a lil better so I can stay out the trees & bushes.:o

JOEX
08-04-2007, 10:23 AM
The difference in brake pads seems to be more about longevity than braking power.

Honda pads have been working great for me.

j450rking
08-04-2007, 05:32 PM
i got tusk front lines and galfer rear b/c the tusk ones only come silver and i wanted red rear and on the end part where the line connects to the fitting it says galfer and so do the tusk ones and who knows maybe the pads are the same way

flauge
08-04-2007, 10:15 PM
I was kinda thinking the same thing about the pads, I guess I'll find out next week cuz I just ordered tusk lines & their sintered metal pads. Ill let ya'll know how they do.;)

08-04-2007, 10:15 PM
I wish steel braided brake lines were cheaper. Steel braided tubing for the intercooler on my uncles car is only $100. The atv ones take more of a beating but they are like a 1/8 of the size even less that maybe than the intercooler tubing.

flauge
08-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Yea all that braided stuff is up there. I remember I had to pay almost 75 bucks for just one braided nitrous line one time.:mad: I wonder what makes em so expensive?

08-04-2007, 10:32 PM
I guess its just because they can make it that expensive. Brake lines dont get beat up really just the steel braided make you stop quicker because they wont expand. I would like to buy some if I ddnt have to pay $70+ for the front and $35 for the rear. I want it more like $40 max for the front and $20MAX for the rear haha

j450rking
08-05-2007, 05:33 AM
yeah don't we all but that will neven happen :(

86 Quad R
08-06-2007, 07:02 AM
i have been riding the creeks for years and have tried just about every brake pad there is to be offered and i find the the EBC msx are about the best as far as reliability.