PDA

View Full Version : opinions on rear 400ex paddles setup

EX LONERIDER
08-01-2007, 11:05 PM
so what do you guys use out in the dunes? i have a 440EX. by last season my sand skates were pretty much worn out and i dont think its gonna be a wise idea to keep running em with my new 440 power if i wanna get anywhere.

my question is this, what tire set do you guys like? i need something thats gonna hook up well but still let me break it loose at the top of a bowl.

i ran these in a 20x10x10. i liked em but im wondering if i should go with something diffrent. itp sand stars? sand skates? haulers???? i know haulers are more meant for straight lines but wonder if changing the sidewall size would help out on the turns?

let me know what you guys run and have experience with. thanks!

gcart2
08-02-2007, 04:07 AM
i personally love the sand stars. hook upp great for draggin' and still u can do donuts and crazy fast turns. heres some pics
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/gcart2/PB210045-1.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/gcart2/400ex.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/gcart2/PB220158.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/gcart2/PB210067.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/gcart2/z.jpg

400ex_rider13
08-02-2007, 08:14 AM
I've never rode with Sand tires, but I always hear great things about the ITP Sand Stars & ITP C-Series rims. Same that gcart2 has. I know if I had a choice for sand tires, that would be my set-up.:p

davetheslave
08-02-2007, 08:44 AM
I like the stars myself. The hook up good, and you still have turning and side-hilling control. The haulers hook up good in a straight line, but thats it. And to be honest the hook up too well. I ran haulers, and they seemed to bog me down, and I have a 440 too

CHEVYZ
08-02-2007, 09:34 AM
I haven't run anything on my EX except Haulers (and Extremes....wouldn't recommend either if you are going to be doing alot of turning/carving because the push alot more that v-paddles) and AMS Roosters (SUCK!!!)...but I have heard good things about the Sand Stars and they do wonders for my buddy's YFZ. I wouldn't go with the C-series wheels if you get them. They are really heavy.

gcart2
08-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
I haven't run anything on my EX except Haulers (and Extremes....wouldn't recommend either if you are going to be doing alot of turning/carving) and AMS Roosters (SUCK!!!)...but I have heard good things about the Sand Stars and they do wonders for my buddy's YFZ. I wouldn't go with the C-series wheels if you get them. They are really heavy.
lol the c series are no heavy er then stock

mitchamus
08-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Haulers are good tire but if your riding with your buddys they put up a nasty roost so be prepared to be way out front or way in the back. if you decide on haulers prolly only get 6 paddle for a 400ex. I like the sandstars and sand skate 2s for riding.

CHEVYZ
08-02-2007, 11:12 AM
They seem to be ALOT heavier than my Douglas wheels.

400exrider707
08-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by davetheslave
And to be honest the hook up too well. I ran haulers, and they seemed to bog me down, and I have a 440 too

Probably too many paddles or too tall of a paddle. Picking the correct sand tire to match your power otuput is essential!

400exrider707
08-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
They seem to be ALOT heavier than my Douglas wheels.

They are... I wouldn't buy the c-series if you were concerned about performance at all....

400ex_rider13
08-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
They are... I wouldn't buy the c-series if you were concerned about performance at all....

I never knew that, So if I ever need rims for the dunes, I'll probably get Douglas'.

EX LONERIDER
08-02-2007, 01:42 PM
sounds like a lot of you guys like the sand stars. nice cus i can also get a good deal on em too. i guess ill give em a try and see what happens.

yea, the haulers were an idea but i dont think they'll fit my riding style... thanks guys, i do appreciate the input.

gcart2
08-02-2007, 03:10 PM
lol i have both wheels in my garage and tehy are the same

yernkie
08-02-2007, 07:59 PM
I have Sand Stars and Haulers (20in 9 paddle). The Sand Stars work, but I don't like them. When I am on the sand I want to be able to control the bike with the throttle and with my body...not just the handlebars. The Haulers are on a set of QuadRock wheels (extremely light) and I air them wayyyy down. Sand Stars just don't float like the Haulers do, Sand Stars dig.

Another thing to think about is the type of sand you are riding in. I ride at Waynoka, OK (Little Sahara) and the sand is extremely fine.

Oh, and whoever said that Haulers were just for straight lines must not have known how to ride.

EX LONERIDER
08-02-2007, 08:40 PM
hmm... yea, ive heard from alot of people that them haulers are best suited for "straight line" hookup. i rode a couple bikes with em and i guess its all in the tire size too. i can see sidewall playing a major part in the haulers and other paddle charecteristics.

i ride in the imperial sand dunes.... the sand there varies though usually the sand is packed good enough for good traction. on occasions it gets mega soft but only if the wind has been blowing.

for those of you who have haulers... what paddle count do you have? or what would you suggest? im a heavy guy at 250 lbs so i can lay the weight over the rear for more grab. i dont wanna bog my bike down so its a concern of mine.

JOEX
08-02-2007, 09:15 PM
I have Hauler 8 paddles, would like to try a 6 or 7 paddle though.

I have no problems turning with them:)

yernkie
08-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Like I said, I have 9 paddle and I love them. On a semi-stock 400ex I have learned this one trick...when buying Haulers look for a good deal on a used set with around 75% tread. The less tread gives less bite which makes them easier to get spinning and float. Brand new ones work great, but I like em a little better once they get a little worn.

I have also found with Haulers that the wheel makes a ton of difference. Go as light as you can (SandRoks, Quadroks, etc).

awsomeaussies
08-02-2007, 09:54 PM
I just bought some Haulers off of RM:macho Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but they seem like really nice tires.

EX LONERIDER
08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by yernkie
Like I said, I have 9 paddle and I love them. On a semi-stock 400ex I have learned this one trick...when buying Haulers look for a good deal on a used set with around 75% tread. The less tread gives less bite which makes them easier to get spinning and float. Brand new ones work great, but I like em a little better once they get a little worn.

I have also found with Haulers that the wheel makes a ton of difference. Go as light as you can (SandRoks, Quadroks, etc).

thats an idea worth investigating. ill look for a set and see what i find.

awsomeaussies- how much did you get yours for?

mitchamus
08-03-2007, 06:33 AM
also make sure if you go with a 20" tire to get an 8" rim.

Wheelie
08-03-2007, 07:40 AM
I run 20x10x10 8 paddle extremes on ITP wheels. Now if I could only keep the front end down.

dariusld
08-03-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't like my Sand Stars at all. They constantly leaking air from the bead from day one. And most people in my camp have had the same problem. I liked my previous Sand Skate II's much better.

GPracer2500
08-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Personally, for the ISDRA I wouldn't consider anything more than a 6 paddle (in a Hauler) for almost any 400EX. I've back-to-back tested 6 paddle haulers vs. 8 paddle hauler extremes on a Raptor 700 and I preferred the 6's--more top end and you can pull a gear higher in many cases. And the 6's still had plenty of "grab".

More paddles are good for getting off the line (easily) and chugging at lower rpm....but in the experimenting I've done on Raptors and 250r's, I go faster with less paddles. I have no reason to believe a 400EX would be any different. If you're concerned in the slightest about bogging down on steep hills, DON'T overpaddle. In my experience it's easy to overpaddle and extremely difficult to underpaddle.

It's stupid that RM doesn't carry any 6 paddle Haulers.

EX LONERIDER
08-04-2007, 01:46 AM
yea. i have a feeling that a 6 or 7 will be better suited. as you said, wheel spin is essential.... especially in sand.

400exrapes
08-04-2007, 08:31 PM
how well do sand tires work in the snow, i live in new york and if we got like half a foot and higher of snow, excuse my spelling, would they work on roads and like feilds that are covered in snow?

yernkie
08-04-2007, 08:54 PM
I have a buddy that keeps an old set of Sand Sharks around just for the snow. I have not ridden his Z400 with the paddles in the snow, but I know when we are racing across and open field with 10 inches of snow he can go a lot farther a lot faster. If it was dry with knobbies we would be neck and neck. So in my opinion they work.

400exrapes
08-04-2007, 09:04 PM
anyone else? how bout on the street

yernkie
08-04-2007, 09:35 PM
The street? Why? Very bumpy and it just tears em up.

400exrapes
08-04-2007, 10:01 PM
in the snow. cuz thats how we get places. It will tear them up bad? or wears just as fast as like other tires on the street

awsomeaussies
08-05-2007, 11:46 AM
awsomeaussies- how much did you get yours for?

79.99 per tire:ermm: Still expensive, but that was the cheapest I could find. Plus free shipping:D

400lag
08-05-2007, 06:44 PM
ive got the sand geckos and im not to happy with them i got 18s tho because it matches my gearing better thought it might make a difference. seems as tho most on here think that haulers and sand stars are the way to go

yernkie
08-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I have never had the Geckos on a 400, but I did ride a Polaris Predator with them and I didn't like them very much. However, I then rode an ATC350X with them and they were awesome.

EX LONERIDER
08-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by yernkie
I have never had the Geckos on a 400, but I did ride a Polaris Predator with them and I didn't like them very much. However, I then rode an ATC350X with them and they were awesome.

its a compleatly diffrent bike so they may have worked better for that 350x.

400lag has a pint. it seems most people lean twards the sand stars and haulers more then anything else. from what i can tell there's mixed opinions on both. being the haulers are best suited for drags and hill shooting. but ive also heard the other people say they work good for everything. the stars ive heard more of a better all around paddle.i could just buy both and just swap em for when im at the hill and drags...... on second thought, that sounds like a pain in the ***. i guess ill try a set of haulers if i can find a cheap pair. if they are too agressive i can always find a set of sand stars.

GPracer2500
08-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
....mixed opinions on both. being the haulers are best suited for drags and hill shooting. but ive also heard the other people say they work good for everything. the stars ive heard more of a better all around paddle....

Riding style accounts for a lot of the difference in opinion regarding haulers being good at everything vs. better suited for dragging only compared to something like a SandStar.

The more tight, slower corners you take when on a torque biased four stroke (like an EX) the less appealing Haulers become for general use. Some people spend a lot of time making those exact kind of turns. Others will only find themselves doing that when they loose their groove, make a mistake, or are just farting around. When you're out snaking through the dunes with the hammer down there's a BIG difference in the choice of lines your leader can take. Some people prefer the lines that happen to suit Haulers quite well.

Also, tire pressure goes a long way in helping determine how your tires behave. A hypothetical example (that might actually be correct): A 6 paddle Hauler with 8 psi might be less likely to understeer when accelerating out of a tight corner than a SandStar at 3 psi. I've known guys that will run comp cut Padla Brats at 10 psi so they will turn how they like.

$0.02

gcart2
08-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
in the snow. cuz thats how we get places. It will tear them up bad? or wears just as fast as like other tires on the street

if the snow is covering the street about 7in at the least you should be ok. but if u get to being on no snow... you will feal it. at glamis i flew into the parking lot coming out of sand and wrecked because it vibrated so bad. if u use paddles on a rode they will be gone in a week or so.

EX LONERIDER
08-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Riding style accounts for a lot of the difference in opinion regarding haulers being good at everything vs. better suited for dragging only compared to something like a SandStar.

The more tight, slower corners you take when on a torque biased four stroke (like an EX) the less appealing Haulers become for general use. Some people spend a lot of time making those exact kind of turns. Others will only find themselves doing that when they loose their groove, make a mistake, or are just farting around. When you're out snaking through the dunes with the hammer down there's a BIG difference in the choice of lines your leader can take. Some people prefer the lines that happen to suit Haulers quite well.

Also, tire pressure goes a long way in helping determine how your tires behave. A hypothetical example (that might actually be correct): A 6 paddle Hauler with 8 psi might be less likely to understeer when accelerating out of a tight corner than a SandStar at 3 psi. I've known guys that will run comp cut Padla Brats at 10 psi so they will turn how they like.

$0.02

yea, you have real good points on the actual setup of the tires. guess i gotta take a look at what i really do. theres not going to be a tire that does everything well. thats why theres diffrent paddle desighnes.

the more and more i think about it though... the more i know haulers wont be a good tire choice for me. i can always mess with the air pressure at the hills like you said. only thing i worry about out there on low psi is blowing a bead. pretty easy to do although i personally have not run into that issue..... yet.