PDA

View Full Version : Word For the Day... TACT

JOEX
08-01-2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/tact

Main Entry: tact
Pronunciation: 'takt
Function: noun
Etymology: French, sense of touch, from Latin tactus, from tangere to touch -- more at TANGENT

1 : sensitive mental or aesthetic perception <converted the novel into a play with remarkable skill and tact>

2 : a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense

synonyms TACT, ADDRESS, POISE, SAVOIR FAIRE mean skill and grace in dealing with others. TACT implies delicate and considerate perception of what is appropriate <questions showing a lack of tact>. ADDRESS stresses dexterity and grace in dealing with new and trying situations and may imply success in attaining one's ends <brought it off with remarkable address>. POISE may imply both tact and address but stresses self-possession and ease in meeting difficult situations <answered the accusations with unruffled poise>. SAVOIR FAIRE is likely to stress worldly experience and a sure awareness of what is proper or expedient <the savoir faire of a seasoned traveler>.

Ghost-Rider
08-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Are You High ?

JOEX
08-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Are You High ?
Are you afraid of learning something?

killerofcrows48
08-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Could you use it in a sentence, please?

JOEX
08-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by killerofcrows48
Could you use it in a sentence, please?
Some people have no tact:o ;)

Pappy
08-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Don't post inappropriate material in a thread meant to show respect for a fallen rider, please use more tact in your choice of postings

Quad18star
08-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Tact as in Tactful ??

Not that I know what Tact or Tactful meant ... but I used to throw it out in sentences just to sound sophisticated .

" That apple was so tactful , that I could eat another one"

Best part about it , 3/4s of the people don't know what tactful means so they just go along with it .:p

Ghost-Rider
08-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Don't post inappropriate material in a thread meant to show respect for a fallen rider, please use more tact in your choice of postings

I had thought of that :ermm:

JOEX
08-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Perfect:)

The offender got his own personal version of this;)

JOEX
08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Tact as in Tactful ??

Not that I know what Tact or Tactful meant ... but I used to throw it out in sentences just to sound sophisticated .

" That apple was so tactful , that I could eat another one"

Best part about it , 3/4s of the people don't know what tactful means so they just go along with it .:p
You guys talk funny anyways.... Boots are are a vague form of measurement:p

honda300EXtreme
08-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Thank you i am now a little smarter. ;)

Quad18star
08-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
You guys talk funny anyways.... Boots are are a vague form of measurement:p

Nah Nah Nah .... we don't talk funny ... you guys talk funny.

I called down to Louisiana once and I could have sworn the guy had marbles in his mouth ... or he was drunk . LOL ;) I couldn't understand a word he was saying .

Actually , my best experience ( and funniest) was when I called Be Cool ( radiator company) a few weeks ago based out of Georgia. The guy asked where I was from , and I told him the northern part of Ontario. He didn't have a clue where I was talking about , so I explained I was 5 hours north of Toronto.
He said to hold on a minute , we was going to look at a map that he had . He came back on the phone and I explained to him where the City was . All I heard was " Holy f**K" followed by " Do you have snow all year ?" " Are there lot's of polar bears around?" Then I heard him yell over to someone else that was working there " Dude , I got this guy from Canada on the phone ... he's near the north pole . " I then hear the other guy saying to him " Dude , ask him if there's snow all year round "
By that time I was almost in tears laughing . :D

I've had the chance to meet quite a few Americans and they've all been really nice people with funny accents. Most that I meet are from Ohio and come up here for fishing and bear hunting and fly out of a small lake front airport just down the street from me.

If by any chance , there are 2 guys on here from Ohio that were up in this area a few weeks ago to do some fishing and encountered what has to be the dumbest Canadian ever at a local Beer Store , I apologize. This guy was so dumb that he thought Ohio was a Navajo Indian Reserve and when they gave him a 1 dollar American bill , he starred at it for about 5 minutes in awe. If my hands weren't full with cases of beer , I'd have slapped him .

Ghost-Rider
08-01-2007, 10:27 PM
lol good stuff.

Honda TRX250ex
08-02-2007, 11:07 AM
i dont wanna learn yet!!! school is in 3 weeks...:(

CHEVYZ
08-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Nah Nah Nah .... we don't talk funny ... you guys talk funny.

I called down to Louisiana once and I could have sworn the guy had marbles in his mouth ... or he was drunk . LOL ;) I couldn't understand a word he was saying .
Sad part is I probably know the guy that you are talking about and never noticed it lmao.

CHEVYZ
08-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Don't post inappropriate material in a thread meant to show respect for a fallen rider, please use more tact in your choice of postings Damn! You is been studyin'!