PDA

View Full Version : Works shocks

gnccguy
08-01-2007, 05:48 PM
hey i was wondering if any 1 runs the works black widow shocks with stock a-arms. They say you will get 12 in of travle i was wondering how true this was and how well they work.

thanks, brad

08-01-2007, 09:35 PM
12inches of travel is alot. To me I would think you would need wider A-arms and cut fenders or something.

1 quick note, I added you on myspace

svahle
08-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Who is it that says you would get 12 inches of travel with that set up? I would sure like to see where that information is coming from. I would be very surprised if that is accurate.

A friend on mine runs Black Widow shocks with +2 Houser a-arms and he doesn't have 12 inches of travel.

08-02-2007, 12:29 PM
12in of travel seems more like side x side shocks but 12in on a atv can be done

bwamos
08-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Ball joint binding will be your limitation not the ability to make a shock move further. ;)

Also longer wheel travel means your arms should travel further down when off the ground/airborn. The suspension should be bottoming out with the frame about 2" off the ground. More travel up = busted frame.

svahle
08-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
12in of travel seems more like side x side shocks but 12in on a atv can be done

Yeah I wasn't saying it couldn't be done, but I don't think the Black Widow shocks would yield 12 inches of travel. I would have to check to be sure, buy I think my Dale has nearly 11 inches of travel (might be 10 inches, I can't remember exactly)

Like bwamos said, ball joints (and tie rod ends) would likely be the culprit for limiting front wheel travel. I suppose a protax set up would alleviate some of the ball joint binding. But, get ready to pay out the nose for a protrax setup.

I have also poked around researching a bit about long travel set ups. It appears they don't necessarily increase wheel travel, but do increase shock shaft travel and make is easier to valve the shocks more effectively for the specific rider, etc.

400exrider707
08-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by svahle

I have also poked around researching a bit about long travel set ups. It appears they don't necessarily increase wheel travel, but do increase shock shaft travel and make is easier to valve the shocks more effectively for the specific rider, etc.

Exactly.

My buddy runs the black widows, he seems happy, though I haven't ridden them myself, I would never buy a pair strictly because they're not ZPS. Works is who claims 12" of travel on stock arms. Notice that they too may be measuring the arc traveled by the wheel and not true vertical travel.

08-02-2007, 02:23 PM
it must be the arc because i would be hitting the bottom of my quad on the ground if I had so much travel lol

svahle
08-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Exactly.

My buddy runs the black widows, he seems happy, though I haven't ridden them myself, I would never buy a pair strictly because they're not ZPS. Works is who claims 12" of travel on stock arms. Notice that they too may be measuring the arc traveled by the wheel and not true vertical travel.

My buddy likes his Black Widow shocks also. BTW, they now make a Black Widow shock with no preload (they don't call it ZPS but it appears to be a ZPS shock) It is the Pro Series Black Widow 3 & 4-Way Adjustable -w- TRS Stadium.

svahle
08-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
it must be the arc because i would be hitting the bottom of my quad on the ground if I had so much travel lol

As noted by bwamos, the added wheel travel would be down, not up. For instance, lets say a stock set up would allow vertical travel up 7 inches and down 3 inches from from the static ride height, for a total of 10 inches of vertical travel. More vertical travel could simply mean there would be an additional 2 inches of travel down for a total of 5 inches of downward travel and a grand total of 12 inches of vertical travel. What this all means is that the distance from the frame to the ground would be the same when bottomed out even with the additional 2 inches of wheel travel. Remember, more vertical travel does not mean more ground clearance at least for purposes of this discussion.

If I got any of this wrong, someone please correct me. Thanks.

gnccguy
08-02-2007, 03:53 PM
yea fellas i was just wondering because works clames that travle with stock a-arms. i didnt just make it up lol my cus also raced gncc back in the day and run the old school works shocks and they worked fine never had any problems i was wondering if it was worth it $900 for a set of works or 2500 for elkas with houser armsya know what i mean