PDA

View Full Version : 01 400ex-time for a rebuild. need opinions

ny300exrider
08-01-2007, 02:19 PM
ok so i have a fully stock 01 400ex that is ready for a rebuild...im starting to blow some blue smoke on high revs, it SEEMS like im losing power and just yesterday i picked up a scary vibration/rattle sound that im almost sure is coming from the motor...its been used, i ride it hard, so ill treat it to a fresh rebuild even if it has alittle life left.

heres the "deal"

-i still want it to be reasonably reliable
-i want to run pump gas
-i need to keep it under a grand

im very new to motor work....throughout the 7 years of me being a rider, i never went further than exhausts/jetting. i read alot on here but always kind of skipped the motor threads so heres the time for you guys to help me out and give me some opinions.

i'm thinking a 406 or low comp. 416 would be nice. when it comes to brands/specs/necessities i have no idea.

im in the process of searching for a cheap used exhaust so i will have that +a filter/jetting.

if someone with experience in this can peice me together a kit, or tell me what they recomend along with everything i would need to get, thatd be awsome.

i am going to have a local place do the installation, but i want to get everything decided on before going down and doing it.

thanks alottt

fastyz85
08-01-2007, 02:36 PM
i have the 406 kit and i love it. had it for a year now with no problems. i have a wiseco 11:1 piston(can still run pump gas but it has to be 93 octane), hotcams stage 1 cam, and all new gaskets and seals. it gave me a lot more power over stock while still keeping it reliable.

fastyz85
08-01-2007, 02:36 PM
o and i think it cost me 800 for parts and labor done at my local dealership.

ny300exrider
08-01-2007, 04:48 PM
awsome thanks for the response....definitly will take that into consideration.

honda300EXtreme
08-01-2007, 05:52 PM
i would go with a 416 kit.. new gaskets... and a stage 2 hot cam,

make sure the piston is 11:1 and you can still run it on 93 octane and then add a good pipe (sparks or hmf)

it should be around or maybe less than 1000, if you do most of your own work..