Tom Lynn
10-25-2002, 12:39 PM
I need 2 know what kind of barring carriers so can u help me

RiPPiNiTuP7
10-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Go with the RPM Tapered Carrier...

Mity Mo
10-25-2002, 01:49 PM
I dont want to rip on any product but I will tell you something on tapered bearings. When you goto an event and you blow out bearings either in your hubs or carrier 99% of the time the dealers at the race will not carry tapered bearings. I have seen it at the Nationals a million times. They wont have them. If you want a good quality carrier I suggest a Herrmann. They go for 169 bucks. Mo

OutlawEX
10-25-2002, 02:37 PM
lone star man

Extremeracer167
10-25-2002, 02:59 PM
what about Meszero motorsports. Theres are pretty cheap too. ive heard good things about herrmann though!

Dave400ex
10-25-2002, 03:16 PM
A lot of Pro`s run a Baldwin and they aren`t to bad at $190.

Ex'r Marlin
10-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Mity Mo
I dont want to rip on any product but I will tell you something on tapered bearings. When you goto an event and you blow out bearings either in your hubs or carrier 99% of the time the dealers at the race will not carry tapered bearings. :confused: I thought they come with a lifetime warranty? I don't know much about the tapered bearings for hubs, but as for the axle carrier bearings, I am told they a longer life than the twin row bearings, and the twin row bearings have a much longer life than the stock ones.

Note: I have had no problems with either... Twin row on my 300, and tapered on the 400.

BTW, I like the Rad with the grease zerk outside, easy to access.

Good luck!

433rd
10-25-2002, 04:14 PM
RPM TAPER BEARING IS "THE" ONE TO GET. IT WILL OUT LAST ANY DOUBLE ROW CURRENTLY MADE.

Crypted1
10-25-2002, 07:07 PM
When you goto an event and you blow out bearings either in your hubs or carrier 99% of the time the dealers at the race will not carry tapered bearings. I have seen it at the Nationals a million times. They wont have them.

Thats because I wan't there MO... I'll bribg sets just for you next year!!!:p :p

I say go with the RPM tapered carrier... but Herrmann is good too.

mxracer111
10-26-2002, 07:49 AM
the reason nobody brings extra tapered bearings to the races is because the tapered bearings hardly ever go bad if you take care of them. my RPM tapered carrier is over 2 years old now.....with the original tapered bearings in it. i jjust replace the seals often and regrease it all the time just to keep it working good

Mity Mo
10-26-2002, 09:21 AM
Thats because I wan't there MO... I'll bribg sets just for you next year!!!

Everyones gotta be a comedian........:p :p :blah

mesz1
10-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Check out the Meszaros Motorsports carrier, 149.99 Thanks Bob@meszmoto:)

433rd
10-26-2002, 07:02 PM
Take care and grease a taper bearing carrier, it will last a very long time. Taper bearing = 8000 pounds side loading, Standard bearing = 500 pounds side loading. Do the math, you wont need a bearing for a very long time. The bearings in the RPM carrier look about the same size on the front spindle of a Chevy Camaro (that's about a 3500 pound car designed to last 150,000+ miles), they can handle anything you can give it. Just keep it clean and greased you will have no problems and won't be buying another carrier or bearing for a very long time.

I guess in short, pay a little extra now or keep buying replacement bearing and carriers with the "other" brands of double rows.

FWIW........

10-26-2002, 10:14 PM
The bearings in the RPM carrier look about the same size on the front spindle of a Chevy Camaro (that's about a 3500 pound car designed to last 150,000+ miles), they can handle anything you can give it

The tapered bearing should last almost forever if not damaged or installed wrong and greased "correctly".

I am sure almost every mechanic has had one car come in where the wheel bearings were either installed too tight (maybe even loose) or overpacked with grease.

The double row bearings in theory should also last a long time but there are quality concerns with a lot of the bearings that find their way into our quads (tapers too), and most of the ones I have seen are from china which basicly means that they are the same quality as all those tools in the dollar store (and arent worth much more either).

Does anyone know what p/n bearings are in the taper or db row carriers?

433rd
10-26-2002, 11:33 PM
I know it is Timken (made in the good ol' USA) bearings in my RPM carrier. Next time I have it out for whatever reason, I can post the part number. If you call RPM, they will give you the part number on them.

10-27-2002, 12:10 AM
Cant go wrong with Timken (and some others too) so at least rpm is using the good stuff.

Deffinately post those numbers, and I will try to get the info from them also.

Dave400ex
10-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Does the RPM have a Grease Zerk?

433rd
10-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Yes, they have the grease zerk. Call Jeremy at RPM, he'll hook you up. They are great folks to work with.

flaneledholes
10-27-2002, 03:57 PM
I cant believe no one thought og the meszaro's(sp sorry) carrier... It is a great carrier... It has served it's pourpose for me and will do so for a very long time... Plus it is the cheapest carrier I have found... By the way Bob, I got a meachanic to put in my carrier, and he didnt install the grease zerk... So is it possible to install the grease zerk on a stock 400ex swing-arm... I will greatly appreciate your answer... The reason for me asking is because it didnt come with instructions for the carrier...

Bean
10-27-2002, 04:27 PM
one thing with tapereds is, you loose chain ajustment

dual rows hav more bearing for the axel to spin around on, and is slightly cheaper, u decide, both will last a long time

ranger400ex
10-28-2002, 06:26 AM
Meszaros is the way to go. The price is the best out there and the quality is even better. Stay away from tapered. You can get lots of slop in the axle, lose adjustment and more $$. I ran one for about 3months and was completely disappointed. You lose almost half of the chain adjustment. Jsut check the carrier every few months and you shouldn't have a problem.

Bob Meszaros
(877) 374-0975 Toll Free

ranger400ex
10-28-2002, 06:27 AM
another

forum
10-28-2002, 10:01 AM
it looks like there is alot of eccses wheight on that carrier. But From my experiences tapper row only works good when you buy them new. If you ever rebuild them they blow all the time. Mybe its crap bearings im not sure. Double row has lasted me over a season now and im still running it. I think mine is a herrmann. I bought it of ebay. so im not sure. But Im almost positive.

ranger400ex
10-28-2002, 10:59 AM
If you do alot of jumping or hard riding the factory carrier and lots of the aftermarket carriers oftem flex and develop cracks or break at the reduction in the center. Bob eliminated this by keeping the center section the same diameter. not much weight their only a few ounces more, and it still weighs less than the factory carrier(Billet carrier vs stock cast). Bob has the twin row, single row and a new one that uses bearing cartridges. No more pressing out bearings and seals, just unbolt the bearing cartridge and insert a new one into the carrier. 2minute bearing and seal change!!!!!!!!!

BMW

10-28-2002, 11:18 AM
Hey Ben,,does Bob's carrier's come with grease zerks..