PDA

View Full Version : New to the EX/Quads in general

sewerrat
08-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Alright, this is gonna sound really dumb, but I'm getting into trail riding and have narrowed down my search to the 400ex. I just bought a Polaris Trailboss 325 for my wife and daughter to ride since its an automatic.
Anyways, I have a bead on a local 400ex that list the following:

Has White Brothers slip on E series pipe with interchangable tip, White Brothers seat cover by CEET, MSR bars, after market front suspension, AC racing nerf bars, K&N air filter, K&N jet kit.
Extras-snow skis, 2 studded tires, pair of ITP holeshots (rear), Maxxis Razors (rear), stock radials(rear) stock pipe, stock seat cover, and many other extras

Are these "good" mods to have?
What is a MSR bar and nerf bar?
Its a 2000 model year for $2000 bux, sound about right?
Lastly, the shifting . . .I've never driven a sport quad but have driven street bikes, is the shifting the same (1 down, 4 up)?

Thanks

gcart2
08-01-2007, 09:56 AM
ner bars ae the nets around your feet. a big bonus and the msr bars are i mguessing just aftermarket handelbars.
if u r going t0 be trail riding i suggets u get rid of the k&n filter and get a foam filter because k&n's suck in dirt and sand. yes the gears r the same. and the price sounds about rite. b 4 u buy check the oil for metal shavings. if there are then do not getr it!!!

300exOH
08-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by sewerrat
Alright, this is gonna sound really dumb, but I'm getting into trail riding and have narrowed down my search to the 400ex. I just bought a Polaris Trailboss 325 for my wife and daughter to ride since its an automatic.

Has White Brothers slip on E series pipe with interchangable tip, White Brothers seat cover by CEET, MSR bars, after market front suspension, AC racing nerf bars, K&N air filter, K&N jet kit.
Extras-snow skis, 2 studded tires, pair of ITP holeshots (rear), Maxxis Razors (rear), stock radials(rear) stock pipe, stock seat cover, and many other extras

Lastly, the shifting . . .I've never driven a sport quad but have driven street bikes, is the shifting the same (1 down, 4 up)?

Thanks

Sounds like a fair price. The MSR bars are just aftermarket handlebars. The nerfs are bars with nets that go around the foot pegs to protect the riders feet from logs/rocks etc... and to keep them away from the rear tires. Shift pattern is the same as most bikes. (it should be stamped on the left side case of the engine)

Welcome to the sport and the site!

davetheslave
08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Sounds like a good deal. Those are some pretty good basic mods.

Metzroth
08-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Disregard the earlier comment about K&N air filters. They are actually filter better than your standard foam filter while also providing better airflow. I would reccomend buying an outwear pre-filter for the K&N if it doesn't already have one installed. $2000 is a very fair price if the quad is in good condition. Before buying make sure you check the oil for metal shavings, start the quad and check for excessively loud tapping or knocking, and you might want to pull out the plug and check to make sure the fuel mixture is correct. If it isn't jetted correctly, then depending on how long it has been ridden with the wrong jetting other problems could have developed. You could still buy the quad, and you might even be able to talk him down on the price if you find problems.

chris46250r
08-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Good choice on the 400ex. Check everything that has been mentioned but even better, take someone with you that kinda knows what to look for. Two sets of eyes are better than one. Dont pay alot of attention to the brand of air filter just yet. Your new to this and your "butt dyno" isnt working 100% just yet. For a beginner, ANY air filter is good as long as its clean and oiled. Have fun, be careful and later when you have some seat time on it you can make changes and even get in on what brand name is better than another.

CarGuy7a
08-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Metzroth
Disregard the earlier comment about K&N air filters. They are actually filter better than your standard foam filter while also providing better airflow. I would reccomend buying an outwear pre-filter for the K&N if it doesn't already have one installed.

i second this about the K&N being a good filter. i actually have had mine packed with dust after a riding trip. then i took it off and looked inside the intake and not a speck of dirt was in there. i washed and oiled it up and good to go again.

the K&N's are great as long as you maintain them. no matter what type of filter it has on it, the air filter should be the one thing on a quad that SHOULD BE maintained the most.

casey_lamm
08-01-2007, 07:45 PM
gear pattern is 1 down 4 up. Reverse (depending on year) is 2 down...

Sounds like a decent deal...you wont really know until you ride it...but dont get emotional...they are fun to ride, but dont let that make you numb to warning signs.

Thanks

honda300EXtreme
08-01-2007, 07:51 PM
yea i agree k&n is a good filter but i believe its almost necessary for a pre-filter,

yea 2000 sounds like a good deal for that quad, and with those mods it should have enoguh power for you for a good while...

and like the other guys said, check the oil and look for metal shavings, listen for "odd" noises, start it up your self and look for smoke,, if its blue smoke its gonna probably need rebuilt, and most importantly ride it, dont take it easy wind it out and feel for hesitation or any thing else out of the normal...

sewerrat
08-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Well, I went and looked at the 400ex. Did an inspection and noticed the following:
Good:
-ran great
-oil was clean
-rotors and pads were like new
-Engine, etc looked free of drips
-stopped great and ran great

Bad:
-Most of the plastics had separated from the mounts and cracked and one mount was broke
-Headlights didn't work, but taillight did (just bulbs???)
-It looked like one wheel was ridden without the lugs fully tightend because the holes were larger than normal and there was a little slop (this concerns me)
-Was overall dirty . . didn't have that new quad feel:D

It turns out it was a really cool mom and dad (I'm 38) selling their 16 year old's quad because he got 2 speeding tickets and needed to pay for them. Neither parent new much about the quad so here's how the conversation went:
Me: I think I'll pass. I need headlights for the trails and all the plastics are messed up and those wheels are going to be expensive to replace
Them: How much do you think it will be to repair those?
Me: I dunno, but it won't be less than $600
Them: Give us $1300 and get it out of our garage.

So its at my house :D

I got all kinds of tires with it including a really beefy set of studded tires and 2 skis for it. Any idea what those will fetch on the open market? Any suggestions for the problems with the quad?

Thanks all

honda300EXtreme
08-01-2007, 08:47 PM
the play in the front wheel could be bad bearings and the lights are probably just bulbs,,,,

man you got a pretty good deal on that thing

honda300EXtreme
08-01-2007, 08:47 PM
the play in the front wheel could be bad bearings and the lights are probably just bulbs,,,,

man you got a pretty good deal on that thing

chris46250r
08-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Good deal! Sell all the stuff you dont want on ebay and buy you a wheel/ tire combo. Zip tie the plastics up and ride. Be patient and you'll find a good deal on some used plastics.

xc_racer1
08-01-2007, 10:41 PM
if u could get some pics. post them. id like to see it

but all in all it sounds like a pretty good deal

casey_lamm
08-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Then where the heck are the pics!

Congrats on the buy...i love this bike.

Well, I went and looked at the 400ex. Did an inspection and noticed the following:
Good:
-ran great
-oil was clean
-rotors and pads were like new
-Engine, etc looked free of drips
-stopped great and ran great

Bad:
-Most of the plastics had separated from the mounts and cracked and one mount was broke
-Headlights didn't work, but taillight did (just bulbs???)
-It looked like one wheel was ridden without the lugs fully tightend because the holes were larger than normal and there was a little slop (this concerns me)
-Was overall dirty . . didn't have that new quad feel:D

It turns out it was a really cool mom and dad (I'm 38) selling their 16 year old's quad because he got 2 speeding tickets and needed to pay for them. Neither parent new much about the quad so here's how the conversation went:
Me: I think I'll pass. I need headlights for the trails and all the plastics are messed up and those wheels are going to be expensive to replace
Them: How much do you think it will be to repair those?
Me: I dunno, but it won't be less than $600
Them: Give us $1300 and get it out of our garage.

So its at my house :D

I got all kinds of tires with it including a really beefy set of studded tires and 2 skis for it. Any idea what those will fetch on the open market? Any suggestions for the problems with the quad?

Thanks all

sewerrat
08-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Pics to come next week. I took it to the dealer to get the stock exhaust put on, get the holeshots mounted, get the carb rejetted, and get a once over and all fluids changed.

I'd like to sell the white bros exhaust, studded tires, and skis. Any ideas on what I could sell them for??

honda300EXtreme
08-04-2007, 05:55 PM
man your insane to pay shop fee's to do that stuff...

yea post some pics... i curios to see this thing...

about the pipe.. is it full system or slip on and what pipe is it?

sewerrat
08-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
man your insane to pay shop fee's to do that stuff...

yea post some pics... i curios to see this thing...

about the pipe.. is it full system or slip on and what pipe is it?

Shop fees are insane, but I'm not a wrencher so I don't really have a choice :grr:

The pipe is a white bros E series slip-on. Its too loud for the trails here which have a 96 db limit

honda300EXtreme
08-04-2007, 06:10 PM
i hear ya...

you might be able to sell that pipe for like 125 give or take...

i though those pipe were right around 96 db's with the quiet core insert?

casey_lamm
08-04-2007, 09:09 PM
humm...i agree with the 96 thing...is the quite core installed. If not you might have them install it and keep the jetting for it assuming its setup right...

Save some dough and keep some better parts.

Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
i hear ya...

you might be able to sell that pipe for like 125 give or take...

i though those pipe were right around 96 db's with the quiet core insert?