PDA

View Full Version : Blown head gasket?

casey_lamm
07-31-2007, 06:25 PM
What are the signs of a blown head gasket?

Ruby Soho
07-31-2007, 06:42 PM
you can feel air coming out the side of the aread of the gasket, and youll hear a tick when you rev it. and oil probly is slightly leaking out of the spot where it blew

dariusld
07-31-2007, 06:48 PM
It gets worse the hotter and the more you put it under load, like uphill. When you take it apart, there will be a visable path on the head gasket.

casey_lamm
07-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Humm...

Well...

2x when I was riding I saw what looked like a small amount of oil on the case (right side, 3-4 inches above the oil filter cover.) but I have cleaned it and rode more...and it doesn't seem like im losing oil....I cant figure out where its coming from...Im thinking either the header area which have never been touched...or the head gasket...

Still I would be surprised...i don't think I ride it that hard...but then again its coming from somewhere.

Anyway...what do you think and how hard is it to change if I need too.?

Originally posted by dariusld
It gets worse the hotter and the more you put it under load, like uphill. When you take it apart, there will be a visable path on the head gasket.

dariusld
07-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Read this (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=286502)

Grant Casey
08-01-2007, 12:25 AM
hey rubo subo, so if i even got the samllest leak it will make a ticking nosie when its under a bit of load or hardly any.

Ruby Soho
08-01-2007, 08:42 AM
well, it would make the ticking noise under no load. the second time i blew one, it usually did it on warm up, and it went away, something had to be building up in the spot where the leak was. so i figuired it wasnt a gasket (also it was right under the carb where i couldnt see a leak... later got the flashlight and sure enough:( )

when its on go to the leak and put your hand around there and blip the throttle and try to feel it

Grant Casey
08-01-2007, 03:33 PM
yeah, with mine it makes the ticking noise, i think i can c were the leak is its only a real small 1 though more like a seap. but yeah im gona o ahead and buy a new gasket.

casey_lamm
08-01-2007, 03:45 PM
cant feel the air but yet the oil has to come from somewhere... Oh well if I ride it it will likely get worse...maybe then I can see it.

Doesn't seem to have a very big effect on it now.

Whats the best head gasket you can get?

Originally posted by Ruby Soho
you can feel air coming out the side of the aread of the gasket, and youll hear a tick when you rev it. and oil probly is slightly leaking out of the spot where it blew

Ruby Soho
08-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Grant Casey
yeah, with mine it makes the ticking noise, i think i can c were the leak is its only a real small 1 though more like a seap. but yeah im gona o ahead and buy a new gasket.

get either a factory honda gasket, or a cometic MLS one. the others are crap

Ruby Soho
08-01-2007, 04:45 PM
casey_lamm, i would inspect it more, and find out if it is really one, because if you ride it like that, your cylinder will warp.

casey_lamm
08-01-2007, 05:15 PM
humm...ok
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
casey_lamm, i would inspect it more, and find out if it is really one, because if you ride it like that, your cylinder will warp.