PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!: Swingarm Bearing Installation (Pivot Works)

Metzroth
07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
I removed all of the bearings except for the outer sleeves for the needle bearings, is there a trick to getting those out? I've beat on it with a hammer and a socket, tried walking it out, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Also, is there any tips or tricks to re-assembly? Any particular way to grease bearings or lube anything? Thanks in advance! -Mike

xc_racer1
07-31-2007, 02:46 PM
the guy that replaced mine said that he had to beat them with a sledge hammer to get it out

Deadly300
07-31-2007, 06:46 PM
did u have any trouble with the pivot bolt because mine sure dont want to budge.

tim colston
08-01-2007, 06:44 AM
this is what I had to do with my inner rings.

400exrider707
08-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by tim colston
this is what I had to do with my inner rings.

Well what are we talking about here, swingarm bearigns or carrier bearings?

Metzroth
08-01-2007, 07:42 AM
i was talking about swingarm (pivot bolt) bearings. I will try a sledge i guess...If not maybe i can press them out.

tim colston
08-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Apparently I need to pay more attention. Sorry.

400exrider707
08-01-2007, 08:16 AM
When it comes to bearing removal... heat works wonders!!!! On mine I didn't even have to use heat, though I did it on an 05 450R, I used a socket and a hammer, usually if they sit in there long enough they are sezied up just like the sleeves to the pivot bolt. Heat the heck out of them a few times, put them through a few heat cycles, that will help immensely. While they're hot spray some penetrating oil (non flammable would be best hehe) it will get in further because everything has expanded and moved.

86 Quad R
08-01-2007, 08:16 AM
have ya got a hyd press? if not, get a stick of all-thread, two thick large washers, two nuts and a socket that is a tad bit smaller than the bearing.

take the stick of all-thread that is long enough to go through both sides. using the socket you can pull the bearing through to the center. do the same for the opposite side.

use this same process to install the new bearings.

Metzroth
08-01-2007, 08:22 AM
I don't know if this is the exact same idea you just described...but im thinking a threaded rod, a washer that is just a bit smaller than the outer housing for the bearing a nut, and then on the other end, a washer that is larger than the hole in the swingarm, and another nut. Tighten either nut, and it should pull the bearing through. Is this exactly what you just described?

86 Quad R
08-01-2007, 08:24 AM
yuppers it is. :D

Metzroth
08-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Something like this?

Metzroth
08-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Awesome. Then I'll try that when i get off of work today. Maybe I'll be ready to ride by this weekend. I have a few brackets that I'm not sure where they go that i need to post on here. One looks like it goes on the right side motor mount, it is a piece of sheet metal that is bent into a tube, it looks like it holds a cable or brake line or something. If anyone knows what im talking about and can post a picture of it then please do.

Metzroth
08-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, I bought the stuff to make the tool to try that idea, but the washer was too big and i don't have a grinder at my house. I sanded for about 10 minutes on the washer and it fit in just enough to annoy me, not enough to use, so i am going over to my friends house after work today and going to grind a little material off of it and hopefully that will do the trick. I bought a piece of 1/2"-13 threaded rod, two 1/2"-13 nuts, and two 1/2" washers. I also bought a 3/4" washer as well to reinforce the inside 1/2" washer when im backing the bearings housings out. I will let you guys know how it works.

syoung_2000
08-07-2007, 02:05 AM
I'm in the middle of doing this same thing. I just sucked it up and took it to a machine shop and they had both out within a few minutes. Only cost me $15, but well worth it.

He used a hydraulic press to get them out. Sure beats tearing things up and possibly having to buy a new swingarm.