PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own an airplane or have their pilots license?

400exstud
07-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Anyone own an airplane or have their pilots license? It seems to me that flying is a sport of the rich, but you can get the older planes for a reasonable price. I was just at EAA Airventure in Oshkosh, WI and now I feel that I need a plane.

Parents said that they would pay for my pilot's certificate but I am on my own for the plane. After collage. After collage.:p

gncc025
07-31-2007, 02:33 PM
i almost got mine when i was 16 years old. boy do i regret not getting em. someone in my family was a self employed crop duster and also gave flying lessons. i never really did take a lesson but he showed me a lot of stuff about flying a plane. i even got to fly a little cessna after it was in the air. no taking off or landing though, i would have probably killed us lol. a pilot license is definitely something cool to have.

derekhonda
07-31-2007, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 400exstud
After collage. After collage

Haha, don't spell it that way on the entrance exam...

Ruby Soho
07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
my old man wants to get his really bad. hes gone for a few lessons. my uncle owns a cesna 170 or somehting like that, its cool to go flying in it.

killroy
07-31-2007, 06:13 PM
i am in school for flight and am now working on my commercial and instrument license. DO NOT BUY a plane unless you have A LOT OF MONEY!!!! it is much cheaper to rent one by the hour. buying a plane might sound cheap at first but the FAA requires an annual checkup that is like a whole teardown and rebuild of everypart that costs A LOT OF MONEY!!

282ex
07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
yeah my grandpa has 4 planes...little like 4 seaters...and he is getting rid of them to buy new...so i might inherit one or get a good price idk...and maybe get my liscence. My grandpa rents his planes out to yale flight school...and he gives lessons and teaches ppl how to fly in order to get their liscence so ill just go through him. much easier.

ugottabayou
07-31-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm 18 and have had my pilot's license for a year now. I am a fourth generation pilot in my family, coming from a line of cropdusters. Its cool you were at Oshkosh Airventure. I made my first trip up there this last week... About 1300 miles round trip from where I am. Its an awsome event!

Flying is deffinitely rewarding and alot of fun. I fly a Cessna 150 and 182, and have aerobatic training in a Bellanca Decathlon. But yes, it is very expensive. I saved all my life for my pilot's license, and it cost me like 3 or 4 thousand to get it. But to me it was worth it. I have gone several places and met so many good people in the process. I even have a Van's RV3 tail kit I am beginning to build (single seat, aerobatic, 200mph top speed) .

For a beginner wanting to fly, i definitely recommend renting and airplane from a flight school or instructor. Buying them aren't cheap.. A decent trainer will still cost you 20 grand. Then add insurance and the annual inspections on top of that. But if you decide to pursue flying, try your best to stay persistent with your flying hours. Keep at it and don't give up! If you have any more questions just shoot me a PM!