PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have too much torque or low end?

yellow400ex05
07-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Yea well I have a Hotcam stage 1 and an HMF slip-on and my gearing is 13 up front 40 in back, it seems as if i just spin so much. My back end goes out a little and spin up through third and STILL has trouble hooking up in 4th but is ok in 5th, but even then it can sometimes get a little hairy when shifting into 5th.. I love my mods and my gearing but i just don't get to feel the full power potential and feeling from it if I can't get the power to the ground.. Yes my tires are good they are pretty much brand new kenda klaws and I'm only 100 pound so that just adds to the lack of traction, I mean this only affects me when i try to do wheelies and a little drag racing for fun, i do burnouts marks on pavement twice as long as my cousin's z400 when we are draggin, and his has a full pipe.

I don't wanna gear it up because I like my gearing i just want better ways to get power to the ground, when i got my work done to it minus the gearing change when it had stock gearing still, the person who built it said it pick up through 4th, and mine only does that when i have someone on the back..

400exstud
07-31-2007, 02:03 PM
There is no such thing as too much torque, but there is a thing called "not enough tractionitis."

I also have a case of "not enough tractionitis." Even with my holeshot HD's (with nearly perfect tread) I spin through fourth.

Like you I do not weigh much (122 this morning). I fear that this is the main cause of "not enough tractionitis," and that the only cure is to eat an all American diet. Load up on the calories and within months the problem should clear up.

400exrider707
07-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Suspesion will be the biggest thing in transferring the power to the ground... next is tire selection, and kenda klaws anything past 30 minutes of use dont seem to do a GREAT job of putting anythign to the ground. Try a really stick tire like the knarly MX or some holeshot SX tires. I would personally gear it up a bit, thats just ridiculous gearing, and I've found with gearign too low, you shift way too often and it tires you out faster.

Toadz400
08-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Try a shorter swingarm, that always helps with traction.

H_W
08-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by yellow400ex05
Yea well I have a Hotcam stage 1 and an HMF slip-on and my gearing is 13 up front 40 in back, it seems as if i just spin so much. My back end goes out a little and spin up through third and STILL has trouble hooking up in 4th but is ok in 5th, but even then it can sometimes get a little hairy when shifting into 5th.. I love my mods and my gearing but i just don't get to feel the full power potential and feeling from it if I can't get the power to the ground.. Yes my tires are good they are pretty much brand new kenda klaws and I'm only 100 pound so that just adds to the lack of traction, I mean this only affects me when i try to do wheelies and a little drag racing for fun, i do burnouts marks on pavement twice as long as my cousin's z400 when we are draggin, and his has a full pipe.

I don't wanna gear it up because I like my gearing i just want better ways to get power to the ground, when i got my work done to it minus the gearing change when it had stock gearing still, the person who built it said it pick up through 4th, and mine only does that when i have someone on the back..

Your tires are some of the best. Your gearing makes no sense. It is incredibly low. I don't see the point of gearing that low with motor mods.

Toadz400
08-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by H_W
Your tires are some of the best. Your gearing makes no sense. It is incredibly low. I don't see the point of gearing that low with motor mods.

I know I liked short gearing for tight trails because of how little you need to shift. However, his gearing does sound awfully low. Even on an MX track it might be nice because with gearing that low you could probably start out in 3rd and stay in two gears the entire race. I would however try lowering your rear sprocket by two teeth, you won't notice that big of a difference in gearing and you'll get more traction.