PDA

View Full Version : how does it work

tar
07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
How do the aftermarket locknuts work. My stock one keeps comin loose so I will be buying an aftermarket but I should probably see how they work first. Pics may help;)

xc_racer1
07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
i thought i needed to get one too but i just put a bunch of loc tite on mine and tightened the **** out of it and it hasnt budged

gncc025
07-30-2007, 11:31 PM
i put just a little bit of the blue medium strength loctite on mine and tightened it down real good. it has stayed tight ever since(about 5 months)

wilkin250r
07-30-2007, 11:58 PM
You know how the stock one works, right? It pushes against the retaining ring, ect ect ect.

The reason the stock has TWO nuts is to keep it in place. The main one tightens against the retaining ring, the second just jams against the first to keep it from moving or coming loose. This type of system is called a "jam nut", for obvious reasons.

An aftermarket nut simply has a different way to lock it in place. Instead of a jam nut, it has a pinch system. Like a regular axle nut, it pushes against the retaining ring to keep everything in place. Then, instead of a jam nut, you tighten one or more allen bolts on the nut itself, and it pinches tight and won't loosen. You don't need the second jam nut, because the pinch system is what keeps it from coming loose.

http://www.danacreechracing.com/categories/products/images/yamahalocknut.jpg

tar
07-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks wilkin that's exactly what I needed to know. So it works the same as the stock one but you tighten it down with the allen bolts.

400exrider707
07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
I just picked up a RAD locknut myself. Works good and looks cool!

Ry007
07-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Man, I have to concur on the RAD Locknut! I got mine and it Rocks! No more loose axlenut.... it was less than $50....I went ahead and bought the Swingarm skid too. It's .25 Alum. It is the most durable one on the block, not to mention most cost effective! wish they made more products...

gcart2
07-31-2007, 05:20 PM
website plz?

NacsMXer
07-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
website plz?

I have a RAD axle nut as well, very happy with its quality and performance for the price :macho

Their website is www.radmfg.com ;)