PDA

View Full Version : 450r shifting question

Nick110
07-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Well my 450r will shift from 1st, to 2nd, and to 3rd, but when I try to go into 4th it just grinds and then goes into 3rd. What do you think is wrong?

INFAMOUSRACER7
07-30-2007, 06:20 PM
sounds like its time for a transmission

Nick110
07-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by INFAMOUSRACER7
sounds like its time for a transmission

Thats what Im afraid of. I dont have the money for it, but I wanna race Lorettas which is in 2 weeks. My local dealer has downs and it will take them atleast a month to do.

I have no idea about transmissions would i be able to just replace the 4th gear or whatever you replace or would I have to do the whole tranny.

INFAMOUSRACER7
07-30-2007, 08:58 PM
you wont be able to tell until you get in there. if its just 4th you should be able to replace just what needs it but make sure to check every gear, dog, fork , and shaft to make sure everything else is fine. just get you a service manual and you should be able to do it your self in a week

86 Quad R
08-01-2007, 09:27 AM
sounds like its possibly a shift fork or the dogs on the dog gear. i have seen times where the shift drum had exessive end play to cause a similar problem.

Dupontster
08-01-2007, 09:42 AM
We had an earlier problem with 4th gear too...Wouldn't stay in and sometimes wouldn't go in....The shifting fork and the gears with the dogs on them were shot....Most of the time when you jump, you're in 4th and sometimes you foot comes down on the shifter which pushes it down....That's what we were told...That's what wore the dogs out the way it did....Makes sense when you look at the gears...Don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't too bad to fix....

400exrider707
08-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Dupontster
We had an earlier problem with 4th gear too...Wouldn't stay in and sometimes wouldn't go in....The shifting fork and the gears with the dogs on them were shot....Most of the time when you jump, you're in 4th and sometimes you foot comes down on the shifter which pushes it down....That's what we were told...That's what wore the dogs out the way it did....Makes sense when you look at the gears...Don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't too bad to fix....

4th gear jumps are BIG jumps! Unadilla skyshot is a 4th gear jump, what the heck are you jumping!

Nick110
08-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
4th gear jumps are BIG jumps! Unadilla skyshot is a 4th gear jump, what the heck are you jumping!

Well thats what I was hitting over the weekend when it went out. Only other 4th gear jump ive hit was the ski jump at BPG. It was a rolling 4th, just so i wouldnt have to shift in the air for the straight after it.

Nick110
08-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Dupontster

How long did it take to fix? I took out my engine and just gave it to them so they wouldnt spend 3 days trying to take it out. I have to be ready by Lorettas. (2 weeks)

TWISTED
08-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

Big stuff, obviously.....

TWISTED
08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
How long did it take to fix? I took out my engine and just gave it to them so they wouldnt spend 3 days trying to take it out. I have to be ready by Lorettas. (2 weeks)

If they told you 3 days to get the motor out, you had better run back and pick up your quad. Chris and his dad can pull an engine in no time... If I remember correctly, they had the engine back in less than a week, only cause they were waiting on parts....