PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Shift Shaft broken

400Trooper
07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,

Oddly enough I have broken my shift shaft on the 400EX, it snapped cleanly at the indention on the shaft. So I'm guessing this won't be an easy, quick fix.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have decent amount of tools.

The questions are take it to a mechanic or do it myself?

Anyone done this sucessfully, and without problems?

Is the shaft an upgradable (stronger) item?

Thanks
400 trooper

JOEX
07-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 400Trooper
Hey Guys and Gals,

Oddly enough I have broken my shift shaft on the 400EX, it snapped cleanly at the indention on the shaft. So I'm guessing this won't be an easy, quick fix.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have decent amount of tools.

The questions are take it to a mechanic or do it myself?

Anyone done this sucessfully, and without problems?

Is the shaft an upgradable (stronger) item?

Thanks
400 trooper
It's not uncommon but it isn't real difficult to replace for someone who has smoe mechanical ability. The case does need to be split and you'll have to remove most of the tranny but nothing has to be done with the crank assembly. Heard you don't have to remove the flywheel either, I didn't know that:p

A repair manual is highly suggested. I did it a couple years ago using a Clymer manual with success:)

I'm not aware of an upgrade shaft:(

dariusld
07-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Not the right way, but some people weld it back on.

ctheojr450
07-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
It's not uncommon but it isn't real difficult to replace for someone who has smoe mechanical ability. The case does need to be split and you'll have to remove most of the tranny but nothing has to be done with the crank assembly. Heard you don't have to remove the flywheel either, I didn't know that:p

A repair manual is highly suggested. I did it a couple years ago using a Clymer manual with success:)

I'm not aware of an upgrade shaft:(

Well mine was apart a few days ago and will be apart again this week. You do need to remove the flywheel and you do not have to remove any of your tranny.

JOEX
07-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by ctheojr450
Well mine was apart a few days ago and will be apart again this week. You do need to remove the flywheel and you do not have to remove any of your tranny.
How did you get it out?