View Full Version : Flywheel..... Now what?

STEVENJANNA
07-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Anybody have a GOOD idea how to get the flywheel off? Before you you say it, yes I have the tool but it won't work because the threads on the flywheel are destroyed.

A A R O N
07-30-2007, 06:47 PM
You could try a universal puller (the kind that has 3 arms and clamps on and then you thread a bolt against so you don't have to use the threads on the flywheel).

From my experience, this doesn't work very well on these type of motors, but if you're threads are toast you don't have much of an option.

Good luck.

Trx4Life
07-30-2007, 06:53 PM
I would say split the cases and beat the crank out the other way but i think one or two of the bolts ot split the cases is behind the flywheel.

I have seen people make a flywheel puller by drilling to hols on opposit sides of the fly wheel and taping them. Then you take a pieace of flat bar drilling three holes in it two outside ones to line up with the tapped holes on the flywheel. And then one in the center and tapping it so that you can bolt the outside ones to the flywheel and put a bolt in the center (aginst the crank like the real flywheel puller) and that will pull it off to.

since they are ***** anyway you could also try one of those crows foot pullers on the threads since you dont have to worry about messing them up.

STEVENJANNA
07-31-2007, 07:49 AM
OK Here's how I did it and it worked very well. There really is no need for special tool, although the puller eliminates a step. If you have a steering wheel puller just remove 2 (or 3 depending on how you feel) of the hex bolts that hold the flywheel halves together and attach there.

STEVENJANNA
07-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Here it is applied.