PDA

View Full Version : HELP Shift Shaft Spring Problem

ctheojr450
07-30-2007, 10:59 AM
I had to replace my left side crankcase (flywheel side) and after splitting the cases, replacing the broken side, and remounting the engine in the frame, I noticed when the last thing I put on (my shifter) that the shift shaft was not properly springing back to its normal position. Its difficult to describe. The shifter has no resistance when you go to shift. As in when I move the shifter with my fingers there is no force causing it to return to its normal middle position. It still shift through the gears fine. What could be causing this problem? Im not really sure why it is not springing back to at rest position.

I really want to come to the bottom of this before I would have to dismount the engine and resplit the cases. And hopefully before next weekends race.

Thanks for the help.

JOEX
07-30-2007, 11:24 AM
The shifter linkage is on the right side so you may just have to remove the right side cover and clutch assembly to see if it's broken or not installed correctly.

ctheojr450
07-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
The shifter linkage is on the right side so you may just have to remove the right side cover and clutch assembly to see if it's broken or not installed correctly.

I have a spare motor that is mostly apart, and I pulled the clutch cover off and was just looking at the shift linkage and how it functions. I dont think the linkage is my problem because its shift through the gears fine. The shifting feels normal.

I think on the shift shaft the spring that is coiled up and has 2 prongs that are behind the black piece that has the teeth that move the star-like shaped piece on the end of the shift drum could be my problem. Is there some type of detail on the crankcase that juts out and goes between the two prongs on that coiled up spring?

I wish I had my broken case at home to look at but its at work right now and I took the day off to work on the wheeler.

JOEX
07-30-2007, 12:42 PM
I see what you're saying... Looks like you may have to split the case again:ermm:

In addition to the larger return spring there's a much smaller 'reset spring' on the other side.

ctheojr450
07-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I see what you're saying... Looks like you may have to split the case again:ermm:

In addition to the larger return spring there's a much smaller 'reset spring' on the other side.

So you think Spring #11 is not on the #12 shaft?

JOEX
07-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ctheojr450
So you think Spring #11 is not on the #12 shaft?
I'm not sure where #12 goes, looking at my broken shiftshaft there looks to be wear marks where spring #11 rests.

I'd guess either #11 or #10 are either broken or misinstalled. I've only had mine apart once and that was a couple years ago...

ctheojr450
07-30-2007, 02:32 PM
JOEX,

I think its #11...Im gonna start splitting the case today. I think its gonna have to happen.

Thanks for your help.