PDA

View Full Version : weekend report

buster024
07-30-2007, 12:26 AM
So I rode the dunes this weekend with some friends (each of whom have completely different bikes), and I figured it may be interesting to hear the results.

One friend has the new Yaha 700 Raptor. Wow. LOT'S of power. Left me in the dust on demand, whenever it wanted, all the time, all day. Flats, hills, drags....no question. However, it was easily the most awkward bike I've ever ridden. The stock handle bars seem to be to low & close together, while at the same time the seat puts you high over top of them. I felt like I was going to fly over the bars every time I grabbed brake. For me it was actually more fun to ride close to camp on the flats, and just wheelie it on demand. The geometry of the whole bike didn't work for me any other time.

Friend number two has an 07 450r. IMO, it's probably the best overall bike out there. It was much more comfortable to ride (much closer to the 400) than the Raptor. It had no problem keeping up with the Raptor when needed, although the Yaha did seem to have pull away power on the flats when necessary. (Both bikes were stock by the way......the R was running paddles, and the Rappy was on dirt tires so I know that wasn't helping the R's top end). The R was also able to pull my 400, which only has suspension & intake modes, at will. HOWEVER, my recent suspension upgrades made a HUGE impact on the 400's performance, and I was shamed the fewest amount of times to date.

Finally, the last bike out there was a YFZ 450. I didn't get to take it for a spin for to long, but was impressed with it's ride, and at a quick glance, would take it hands down over the 700.

Enjoy.....