PDA

View Full Version : 02 400EX, transmission locking up.

02CR500Rex
07-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Hey guys, I've had this bike for a few weeks now, and it's doing some crazy stuff. Well, it kinda needs bearings in the rear, so it was making a little noise. It wasn't too bad at first, but I figured it was just the rear bearings. Well, I was about 6 miles from my house earlier when the noise suddenly got worse. The noise is coming fron behind the front sprocket inside the transmission...sounds like metal grabbing metal. Well the shaft has quite a bit of play in it...i dunno, but now it seems like the trans is trying to lock up. It won't even coast sometimes with the clutch pulled in or in neutral...just hear that grabbing noise and the bike jerks every time. I finally limped it home, but I really need to get it fixed soon. It's my only form of transportation...liscense is suspended. Anybody know what this could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Sparky_20
07-29-2007, 08:55 PM
it sounds like your going to need to split the case to figure out whats going on. It sounds like a bearing has taken a crap in your trans.

honda300EXtreme
07-29-2007, 09:09 PM
my guess is a broken or bent shift fork..

which will require a case split,,

just take my advice... do not start or run that bike untill its fixed.. trust me we used to have a 400ex and it did the same thing and basically the engine got trashed from all the metal..