PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION : Grill Masters .. recipe needed

Quad18star
07-29-2007, 12:34 PM
I have about 3-4 lbs of St-Louis pork side ribs that I want to cook up either tomorrow night or the next night and I'm looking for a great way to cook them.

I'll be doing them on the BBQ and was looking for something not too spicy , yet not too sweet ... somewhere in between .

Should I boil them first ? Just throw them on the grill ? Marinade them ? Give me some ideas and step by step recipes. :D

While I'm at it ... anyone got a good way to cook sausages. I have 6 mild pork sausages that I'm going to cook up tonight , but I'm getting tired of the same old Sausage ona Bun. Looking to try something different.

miller821
07-29-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm sure JOEX will have some good ideas.:cool:

trailwart
07-29-2007, 04:53 PM
dont boil, put a half inch of cola in the bottom of a roasting pan and cover tight with foil. bake at 250 for 2.5 hours and then take them out of the pan and throw them on the grill and start saucing them. i do this with baby backs and you can pull the bones right out, meat so tender. i usually do a rub on them before throwing them in the roasting pan.

JJs450r
07-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by trailwart
dont boil, put a half inch of cola in the bottom of a roasting pan and cover tight with foil. bake at 250 for 2.5 hours and then take them out of the pan and throw them on the grill and start saucing them. i do this with baby backs and you can pull the bones right out, meat so tender. i usually do a rub on them before throwing them in the roasting pan.

my dad does it that way but uses beer

JOEX
07-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Boiling is the easiest way but dosen't do much for flavor. trailwart's version is probably just as easy, just make sure they stay covered otherwise if the cola evaporates it could cause problems. Beer sounds good, I think i'll have another:D

I don't have any recipes on hand, usually I just look through the cupboard and see what I have;)

For the sausages have you tried them with roasted bell peppers and carmelized onions on a bun. I like sausage in mac n' cheese:p

Quad18star
07-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info . I might try the ribs with the beer and see how they turn out . Any of you guys have any good sauce recipes ??

For the sausages tonight, I just ended up cutting some red peppers, onions, mushrooms , carrots and cherry tomatoes and threw them in a tin plate with the sausage ( cut up), a bit of butter , salt and pepper. Topped it off with a baked potatoe. Easy meal tonight and made for a bit of a change. :)

RidinRed420
07-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Have you ever tried Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce?? It is the best BBQ suace I've ever had it comes in a few different flavors, orginal, hot and spicy, brown sugar and something, and theres a few others I think. By far the best BBQ sauce ever.

If you really want to make your own - or you cant find Sweet Baby Rays at the grocery store, I'd say go to allrecipes.com. They have some really great recipes, never tried any of their sauces though. I just look at the ingredients and if it sounds tasty try it out.

jesseweaver
07-30-2007, 07:19 AM
This is making me hungry

beaker1214
07-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Yeah you cant go wrong with sweet baby Ray's

biker
07-30-2007, 08:21 AM
I would also recomend the sweet baby ray's!

Some of the best ribs are done on a smoker and that's typically the way I do mine but if you are grilling them,
1. night before put a dry rub of your choice on the ribs with some chopped minced garlic and rub into the meat really good!
2. wrap twice in foil
3. over medium heat cook ribs on the grill for about an hour turning them about every 12-15 min.
3. unwrap ribs from foil turn the heat down a tad and start basting the ribs with the sauce of your choice for another 15min.

The key to cooking ribs is to cook them slow the longer and slower you cook them over low heat the more tender they will be!

I personally never boil ribs in water or cola and certainly not in beer! The beer is for drinking when your cooking:D

trailwart
07-30-2007, 02:28 PM
the cola thing is not boiling! its basicly steaming the meat. never boil ribs, because when you boil you are basicaly making stock. you lose most flavor when boiling. use only 1/4- 1/2 inch in the bottom of pan, you do not cover the meat with liquid. other options on liquid can be beer, apple juice, and any thing you think will add flavor. i use a rub fromfamous daves resturaunt, then i always use sweet baby rays!

Nick110
07-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Man I thought I was the only person who liked sweet baby rays. When ever i tell someone about it there like wtf ive never heard of it.

Quad18star
07-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Well I cooked them up tonight and they turned out delicious .... so tender it was falling off the bone. Here's how I did it ....

Cut the ribs in about 8" lengths ( 4 lengths)
Layed the first 2 lengths down .
Added salt
Put the other 2 lengths over top
Added peppercorn to them
Quartered an onion
Quartered a lemon
Added water

Put in the oven at 350F for 2 hours.

Take them out , put them on the BBQ and basted them with some Canadian Club BBQ sauce and cooked for about 15 minutes ..

End result ..... best ribs I've had in a LONG time. SOOOO tender and tasteful. Plus it saved me about $20 for ordering at a restaurant . :devil:

Thanks for all the help... it was appreciated.

Keep posting different recipes , I enjoy trying new dishes.

Anyone got anything good for fish ?? I usually eat Walleye, Pike , Rainbow and Speckled trout or salmon.

JJs450r
07-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by trailwart
the cola thing is not boiling! its basicly steaming the meat. never boil ribs, because when you boil you are basicaly making stock. you lose most flavor when boiling. use only 1/4- 1/2 inch in the bottom of pan, you do not cover the meat with liquid. other options on liquid can be beer, apple juice, and any thing you think will add flavor. i use a rub fromfamous daves resturaunt, then i always use sweet baby rays!

ya apple cider makes it great also :) but ya my dad usually does either beer or apple cider then throws em on the smoker

07250ex
07-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Boiling is the easiest way but dosen't do much for flavor. trailwart's version is probably just as easy, just make sure they stay covered otherwise if the cola evaporates it could cause problems. Beer sounds good, I think i'll have another:D

I don't have any recipes on hand, usually I just look through the cupboard and see what I have;)

For the sausages have you tried them with roasted bell peppers and carmelized onions on a bun. I like sausage in mac n' cheese:p

omg ive had that before JO i ussuly have the sausage which is garlic and something else flavored with carmelized onions some Old World Flavored honey mustard on a cheese burger roll

initall
07-31-2007, 05:52 AM
I put a rub on my ribs then smoke them for 4 hours

then put the sauce on them.

tim colston
07-31-2007, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by RidinRed420
Have you ever tried Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce?? It is the best BBQ suace I've ever had it comes in a few different flavors, orginal, hot and spicy, brown sugar and something, and theres a few others I think. By far the best BBQ sauce ever.

If you really want to make your own - or you cant find Sweet Baby Rays at the grocery store, I'd say go to allrecipes.com. They have some really great recipes, never tried any of their sauces though. I just look at the ingredients and if it sounds tasty try it out.

Wow my family will eat nothing but Sweet Baby Rays sauce. Didn't know it went up there too. Cool.